Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Graphics card for video editing

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 7, 2012 5:17:21 AM

Hello,
Do I need to worry if the graphics card is integrated or discrete when all I want to do with it is create video clips for youtube? I am not a gamer and will only be watching videos, editing photographs or editing home videos ( moderate amount). Also for my purposes, is a screen display of 1366x768 enough or should I go higher to 1080? I am looking for a laptop with i5 or i7 processor, GB ram and atleast 500 GB hard drive storage. Please also tell me if Intel 3000 or 4000 is good enough or should I look for Nvidia?
September 7, 2012 5:23:56 AM

sorry for the typo.... it should read 8GB RAM....
a c 189 U Graphics card
September 7, 2012 6:39:01 AM

What power supply are you running? I would recommend a Quadro or FirePro. I would say which one, but I'm not that great with workstation graphics cards.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 7, 2012 7:00:28 AM

To be honest graphics cards do not have a massive effect on the actual rendering of the video, it helps more with things like effects and colour correction.

It all depends what programs you use, Adobe gets good benefits from Nvidia cards, other programs vary.

Yes go for 1080, the difference is night and day with things like photography, you'll notice so much more in your images unfortunately that includes noise too :( 

What programs are you using? Quadro or Firepro may be a bit overkill unless your doing any 3d rendering like maya or blender, or doing some kind of professional colour correction.
September 14, 2012 2:20:46 AM

paddys09 said:
To be honest graphics cards do not have a massive effect on the actual rendering of the video, it helps more with things like effects and colour correction.

It all depends what programs you use, Adobe gets good benefits from Nvidia cards, other programs vary.

Yes go for 1080, the difference is night and day with things like photography, you'll notice so much more in your images unfortunately that includes noise too :( 

What programs are you using? Quadro or Firepro may be a bit overkill unless your doing any 3d rendering like maya or blender, or doing some kind of professional colour correction.

Thanks for replying. I have only used windows movie maker. I have not done that much video editing but with my business website almost ready, will probably do more of it now. Can you suggest any other good software/freeware for video editing that is simple to use with great results? Remember I am a novice. I spoke to the chat people on the different computer manufacturer's websites and they all recommended Nvidia although a videographer I know said I don't need anything fancy, meaning Intel 4000 will do the job. So, am not sure who is right?

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
September 15, 2012 12:44:13 AM

Yea I wouldnt worry as much about the graphics card as the CPU/RAM. It only helps with some of the more complex rendering tasks.

Your friend is right, intel 4000 will do the job, you'll get great results with an i7 and 8-16gb ram.

As for software I would recommend Adobe Premier Pro, probably the best editing software on a windows machine.... although it can seem a bit complicated for first timers though and is fairly expensive.

If you are new to it all Sony Vegas is a great program, very easy to navigate. The only downside is it doesnt make very good use of hardware IMO and rendering out your work may take a little longer.

September 15, 2012 2:49:58 AM

paddys09 said:
Yea I wouldnt worry as much about the graphics card as the CPU/RAM. It only helps with some of the more complex rendering tasks.

Your friend is right, intel 4000 will do the job, you'll get great results with an i7 and 8-16gb ram.

As for software I would recommend Adobe Premier Pro, probably the best editing software on a windows machine.... although it can seem a bit complicated for first timers though and is fairly expensive.

If you are new to it all Sony Vegas is a great program, very easy to navigate. The only downside is it doesnt make very good use of hardware IMO and rendering out your work may take a little longer.

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it! Is Sony Vegas freeware??
September 15, 2012 3:01:14 AM

ok so im building a computer for graphic design and 3d animation and it pretty much requires the same stuff for video editing, my building this

SanDisk Extreme SDSSDX-120G-G25 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL11Q-16GBXL

ASRock Z77 Pro4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

ATI 100-505606 FirePro V4800 1GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Workstation Video Card

the i5 quad core with the 4000 intel integrated graphics is just the ticket for a budget price, but i highly recremend investing in a i7 extreme sometime down the road. ati fire pros are great budget workstation cards the one noted above runs excellently for me, but switching up to an nvidia quadro would be ok if your doing a crap ton of work. otherwise stick to ati firepros there decently priced and the higher end ones would be great if you cross fire them.

as for freeware, sont vegas is very good, but invest in final movie cut pro if you can. or adobe movie maker. hope all this helps. contact me personally if you need any more advice
a b U Graphics card
September 15, 2012 4:10:22 AM

^^ Final Cut is mac only, ignoring the hackintosh route as its pointless and there is no such thing as Adobe Movie Maker its Premier Pro/After effects....

Sony Vegas is not free but in terms of editing software its fairly inexpensive.

A 3770k and 16GB of RAM will be all you will need, I work in the industry and have witnessed people producing documentaries on machines with half that spec...

Dont spend all your money on an i7 extreme or workstation graphics unless you intend on doing some CGI or professional colour correction.

If its just for corporate videos then the setup i mentioned will suit you just fine.

Hope this has been useful info :)  If you need help choosing parts please post on the forum as it will allow myself and others to provide their input.

September 16, 2012 12:03:41 AM

Hey I just got off work late and was tired couldn't remember the names of the programs lol thanks for correcting me though. Appreciate it paddys! :p 
September 23, 2012 3:41:05 AM

Best answer selected by desigurl.
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 23, 2012 10:04:13 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!