Sign in with
Your question

Asking for Help from Canada- 3470 i5 h77 7870

Last response: in Systems
November 3, 2012 10:04:17 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: From next week (nov 10) until christmas- assembled/completed around christmas/boxing day

Budget Range: 850$ including shipping&tax

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, homework

Are you buying a monitor: No

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Canada- part picker; anywhere that will ship to me :) 

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Additional Comments: Gaming computer- want to build around quad core i5
QUESTION LIST: *** I am looking for comments on prices, where can I find these super deals on these parts? :D 
1. Where can I find this MB cheaper than the 109.99 CAD? in US, that MB is 65$ + free s/h

2. Should I buy the 7870 GHZ edition GPU tomorrow (nov 4) @ 209.99? I'm thinking its a good price with the 20.00$ off?

3. PSU wattage- see below, or provide insight on wattage needs

Why Are You Upgrading: Current computer: 2007 macbook, says it all.

http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/mmKy

Here is my current build!!
CPU- i5 3470 -- I'd decided not to over clock

Motherboard: H77 micro, I won't SLI or OC, so I think thats the best bet

RAM- Standard 2x4Gb 1333 DDR3

PSU- 500w or 430w? (estimated says 341w, they say you need a bit more)

case- 302- Thebigtroll says its a nice case, i'll take his word for it

GPU- 7870 GHZ Ed. 209.99 + tax, seems like my best deal out of all parts when comparing to US prices

HDD- 1TB- standard stuff.. not worried about a SSD just yet, might get a SSD on sale sometime

Windows 8- getting the latest software for the hardware- why not right?

optical drive- taking it from an old computer!

Thanks! :D 

More about : canada 3470 h77 7870

November 4, 2012 9:37:03 AM

Wouldn't disagree with anything much, there. I would slightly prefer these choices, for RAM and PSU.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.99 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($54.88 @ Canada Computers)
Total: $89.87
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

The RAM because it is decent quality/faster, at the same price (CPU supports 1600MHz)
Power supply, because it's equal, if not better, plus modular, and gives you more in hand, over base requirement, to allow for GPU overclocking/ add-ons, and doesn't have to work as hard, so should be quieter, and last longer. Worth small additional cost.
The Asus seems to be the best value available. It is probably slightly outperformed, by the MSI TwinFrozr, but whether that would justify the extra cost is debatable.
As for Windows 8, I don't honestly see that it adds much, for most people. It may prove me wrong, but personally I'd prefer to wait, and let others find, and sort the inevitable bugs, before committing. It may be slightly more expensive, to go with W7, and then find it is worth upgrading, but it's a d*** site less risky.
m
l
!