Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

660Ti or 7950?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 7, 2012 11:17:29 AM

Ok im either going to be buying this card: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-msi-gtx-660-ti-power...

or this card: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3gb-xfx-radeon-hd-7950-d...

Here are some things im considering:

- I've heard in america that the 7950 is more expensive, which makes me think that its better than the 660ti. But in the UK, most of the 660ti's are the same price as the 7950s.
- My tv monitor has a 60hz refresh rate, and i've heard about tearing... So is it worth getting the 660ti for adaptive vsync? or will i be ok with a 7950?

So which one is best for me to go with? thanks :) 

More about : 660ti 7950

a b U Graphics card
September 7, 2012 12:25:05 PM

In the same price 7950 is a better deal.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 7, 2012 12:28:31 PM

7950 is better at the same price.
Score
0
Related resources
September 7, 2012 12:30:52 PM

OK but will my tv be alright with out adaptive v sync?
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
September 7, 2012 12:40:27 PM

I dont believe that will be an issue, but I am no expert...
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
September 7, 2012 12:49:54 PM

Adaptive V-Sync is pretty much a gimmic.It has the same effect as the FPS Cap but it has a cool name to it.
Trust me NOBODY needs it.
And the HD 7950 is better than the 660 Ti.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
September 7, 2012 1:32:45 PM

the HD 7950 is the better buy
Score
0
September 7, 2012 1:42:19 PM

Alright thanks for your help guys, much appreciated. :) 
Score
0
September 7, 2012 1:52:50 PM

i had same problem frrotsim. i was waiting 3 months to order pc because of 660 ti, but since amd prices went down, price of 7950 was same as 660 ti. i was checking tests and everything for last 20 days, and in the end i ordered gigabyte 7950 instead of asus 660 ti.

my vote goes aswell to 7950 althought i was hidden nvidia fan ;) 
Score
0
September 7, 2012 3:17:31 PM

mladen88bl said:
i had same problem frrotsim. i was waiting 3 months to order pc because of 660 ti, but since amd prices went down, price of 7950 was same as 660 ti. i was checking tests and everything for last 20 days, and in the end i ordered gigabyte 7950 instead of asus 660 ti.

my vote goes aswell to 7950 althought i was hidden nvidia fan ;) 


Nice :)  Yeah now im definately set on getting a 7950, it seems great for the price and i havent read any negative comments about it, but with the 660ti i heard that some people dont like it as much due to there not being as much overclocking potential, etc..
Oh just a quick question - do you play on a 720p monitor or a 1080p, coz ive now read that its important to play on your native resolution so im gonna wait a bit until i can afford a 1080p monitor, but for now i will have to stay with thee 1366x768 one. So i wanna know what the quality is like on a 720p one.
thanks again :) 
Score
0

Best solution

a c 620 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 7, 2012 9:59:09 PM

A highly factory overclocked GTX 660 Ti versus a stock 7950 is not the slam dunk others would have you believe. In fact that MSI PE/OC will definitely be a faster card than that XFX 7950. The GTX 660 Ti overclocks like crazy, and when overclocked, the MSI PE/OC runs right along with the GTX 680 (links below).

Just thought you should get an honest answer with some evidence to review from someone who doesn't have an AMD logo in their avatar, or who doesn't already own an AMD card. And trust someone who actually uses it, Adaptive VSync works great and makes gaming very smooth.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/04/16/nvidia_adapti...

Quote:
"What even more interesting is that the GTX 660 Ti should be positioned against the Radeon 7950, but as we saw during testing, not only did this new Kepler card trounce the AMD counterpart, it also beat the flagship 7970 in many instances as well.
http://www.pureoverclock.com/Review-detail/msi-gtx-660-...
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/09/03/msi_gtx_660_t...

OC reviews:
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...
http://www.guru3d.com/article/msi-geforce-gtx-660-ti-po...



http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...

Quote:
"What this means is the lowest cost per FPS in virtually every one of these tests (the 7950 has a slight edge at stock clock speeds in two of the tests). Overclocked, it's no contest. And of course pure FPS isn't the only thing to keep in mind: as a Kepler-based card, the N660Ti benefits from NVIDIA's adaptive vSync and TXAA motion anti-aliasing features, both of which result in a smoother, visually superior gaming experience.
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...


http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_660_Ti_Power...
Share
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 7, 2012 10:39:10 PM

What is your monitor res? The GTX 660 Ti beats a 7950 at 1920 resolution.Sources:
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_660_Ti_Power...
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6159/the-geforce-gtx-660-...

Quote:
"As it stands, AMD’s position correctly reflects their performance; the GTX 660 Ti is a solid and relatively consistent 10-15% faster than the 7870, while the 7950 is anywhere between a bit faster to a bit slower depending on what benchmarks you favor. Of course when talking about the 7950 the “anything but equal” maxim still applies here, if not more so than with the GTX 670. The GTX 660 Ti is anywhere 50% ahead of the 7950 and 25% behind it, and everywhere in between. Coupled with the tight pricing between all of these cards, this makes it very hard to make any kind of meaningful recommendation here for potential buyers. Compared to the 7870 the GTX 660 Ti is a solid buy if you can spare the extra $20, though it’s not going to be a massive difference. The performance difference is going to be just enough that AMD is going to need to trim prices a bit more to secure the 7870’s position." Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6159/the-geforce-gtx-660-... If you are gaming on high res monitor and want to do anything else like use OpenCL applications, transcoding, WPA/WEP Cracking, RAR Cracking, Bitcoin Mining etc than it really better to get (7950).
Score
0
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 7, 2012 11:00:11 PM

Kamen_BG said:
Adaptive V-Sync is pretty much a gimmic.It has the same effect as the FPS Cap but it has a cool name to it.
Trust me NOBODY needs it.
And the HD 7950 is better than the 660 Ti.

enjoy your stuttering issues that can happen when trying to use frame rate cap instead of adaptive v-sync.
Score
0
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 7, 2012 11:01:55 PM

dudewitbow said:
why do people bother posting a image that states that a stock 7950 is better than a stock 660ti. both can overclock pretty high compared to its stock so the overclocking test wouldnt even count.
Yeah OP take that into consideration on the links i posted as well i am not the one to sip red or green kool aid to hard i think it's bs both are top notch :) 
Score
0
a c 106 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 7, 2012 11:03:26 PM

Anonymous said:
enjoy your stuttering issues that can happen when trying to use frame rate cap instead of adaptive v-sync.



its only applicable when theres a large disparity in minimum fps and the cap. in a large handful of games, your fps will probably not hover around the usual fps cap(60fps for 60 hz monitors). the cards will most of the time be either over fps the game(80+ fps, mid power gpu games, Skyrim for example) or score a moderate gap under the fps, not even close to 60(Crysis)
Score
0
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 7, 2012 11:07:43 PM

Another thing i personally find misleading is when people try and say oc as some sort of win over another no such thing as a Guarantee better oc it's very possible but not guaranteed
Score
0
a c 106 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 7, 2012 11:08:22 PM

bigcyco1 said:
Yeah take that into consideration on the links i posted as well mate i am not the one to sip red or green kool aid to hard i think it's bs both are top notch :) 


i mean, I dont hate either, both are moderate choices and will probably say that teh amd card is better for upgradable purchases(3gb vram crossfire and bigger brandwith makes it more viable), while the standalone 660ti will have the benefts of nvidia based games, bonuses and stuff, both are fine choices depending on what you plan to do and what you are going into the future.

i mean although i hate using tweaktowns testing because it is flawed Their unusual game choices show the performance on less tested titles. So all in all, each card has advantages in different games.
Score
1
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 7, 2012 11:09:35 PM

dudewitbow said:
its only applicable when theres a large disparity in minimum fps and the cap. in a large handful of games, your fps will probably not hover around the usual fps cap(60fps for 60 hz monitors). the cards will most of the time be either over fps the game(80+ fps, mid power gpu games, Skyrim for example) or score a moderate gap under the fps, not even close to 60(Crysis)

i think i know what games i play and where my minimum and max frame rate is thank you very much.

as i said stuttering can happen with using a frame rate cap as opposed to adaptive v-sync; making the sweeping generalization that was made incorrect.

no need to over explain it to cover it up.

edit: however thank you for your reply.
Score
0
a c 106 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 7, 2012 11:13:26 PM

Anonymous said:
i think i know what games i play and where my minimum and max frame rate is thank you very much.

as i said stuttering can happen with using a frame rate cap as opposed to adaptive v-sync; making the sweeping generalization that was made incorrect.

no need to over explain it to cover it up.



the problem is, its generally said by people who havent owned both setups with similar performance. Sure its a benefit, but never argue on one side until you have tried both that are similar in performance.
Score
0
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 7, 2012 11:14:07 PM

dudewitbow said:
the problem is, its generally said by people who havent owned both setups with similar performance. Sure its a benefit, but never argue on one side until you have tried both that are similar in performance.
+1 problem is noway to trust somebody has really try both unless they have proof :( 
Score
0
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 7, 2012 11:14:18 PM

dudewitbow said:
the problem is, its generally said by people who havent owned both setups with similar performance. Sure its a benefit, but never argue on one side until you have tried both that are similar in performance.

you know that is actually my point.

i do beg your pardon for being a little rude, long day.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
September 7, 2012 11:23:18 PM

Bottom line 192-bit vs 384-bit will make a huge difference over the next year or two. Personally I picked a Gigabyte Windforce 7950 for $300, and its an exceptional card.
Score
0
a c 620 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 8, 2012 12:26:36 AM

dudewitbow said:
why do people bother posting a image that states that a stock 7950 is better than a stock 660ti. both can overclock pretty high compared to its stock so the overclocking test wouldnt even count.

Because that describes the two cards under consideration; a highly overclocked and fully customized MSI Power Edition vs. a stock clocked XFX card.
Score
0
September 8, 2012 7:53:11 PM

Ok now i dont know what to do :p  However i do really appreciate all your replies, its good to get more info.
I am going to be playing on a 1920x1080 monitor, in the future i will definately not be switching to three monitors. I play mainly Crysis 1 and 2, Bf3, GTA IV and Call of duty MW3. I like to play on the highest settings on most of these games with at least 40 or so fps.
I'm really worried about this whole stuttering thing with the 7950, and the 660ti's adaptive v-sync sounds tempting, but can someone explain this 192-bit vs 384-bit part to me. Sorry for being a noob but i'm not quite clear what sort of difference this makes :p 
Score
0
September 8, 2012 8:07:10 PM

What graphics card are you running? why I am asking is that AMD Sea Islands is confirmed end-beginning 2012/2013, with the 8790 sample already 40-50% faster than the 7970, with more radical adaptations to architecture used in GCN.

Question is how radical do AMD go, do they squeeze blood from the rock or do they sandbag SI like they did with GCN knowing that Nvidia are only looking at a August + 2013 launch of GK110.

RADEON 7950

+ Zero core technology 3w idle power required, this is fantastic regardless of your requirements, longevity of components.

+ Overclock headroom on all GCN is impressive 1250mhz.

+ GPGPU/Compute, Direct Compute game sources, AMD is rather unmatched in this department.

+ Eyefinity

- In Physx or non compute intensive titles the GTX 660ti can actually beat this card on shear clock speed differential alone.
Score
0
a c 620 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 8, 2012 8:20:15 PM

An explanation of the memory bus, which is not an issue at 1080 resolution:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6159/the-geforce-gtx-660-...

A review exploring the impact of the bus width on actual gaming performance:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/08/27/nvidia_geforc...
"We saw a few instances where the Radeon HD 7950 w/Boost was faster, and we even saw a few instances where the GALAXY GTX 660 Ti GC was faster at higher settings. So much for the extreme memory bandwidth advantage on the Radeon HD 7950."
Score
0
September 8, 2012 8:35:51 PM

bigcyco1 said:
What is your monitor res? The GTX 660 Ti beats a 7950 at 1920 resolution.Sources:
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_660_Ti_Power...
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6159/the-geforce-gtx-660-...

Quote:
"As it stands, AMD’s position correctly reflects their performance; the GTX 660 Ti is a solid and relatively consistent 10-15% faster than the 7870, while the 7950 is anywhere between a bit faster to a bit slower depending on what benchmarks you favor. Of course when talking about the 7950 the “anything but equal” maxim still applies here, if not more so than with the GTX 670. The GTX 660 Ti is anywhere 50% ahead of the 7950 and 25% behind it, and everywhere in between. Coupled with the tight pricing between all of these cards, this makes it very hard to make any kind of meaningful recommendation here for potential buyers. Compared to the 7870 the GTX 660 Ti is a solid buy if you can spare the extra $20, though it’s not going to be a massive difference. The performance difference is going to be just enough that AMD is going to need to trim prices a bit more to secure the 7870’s position." Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6159/the-geforce-gtx-660-... If you are gaming on high res monitor and want to do anything else like use OpenCL applications, transcoding, WPA/WEP Cracking, RAR Cracking, Bitcoin Mining etc than it really better to get (7950).


This, Nvidia if you are 99% of the time just gaming, there are plenty Physx games that utilize the full potential of Kepler. If you however do other things compute intensive then the RADEONS are far more balanced.
Score
0
a c 106 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 8, 2012 8:40:13 PM

17seconds said:
An explanation of the memory bus, which is not an issue at 1080 resolution:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6159/the-geforce-gtx-660-...

A review exploring the impact of the bus width on actual gaming performance:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/08/27/nvidia_geforc...
"We saw a few instances where the Radeon HD 7950 w/Boost was faster, and we even saw a few instances where the GALAXY GTX 660 Ti GC was faster at higher settings. So much for the extreme memory bandwidth advantage on the Radeon HD 7950."



Straight from the first link:

Quote:
The best case scenario is always going to be that the entire 192bit bus is in use by interleaving a memory operation across all 3 controllers, giving the card 144GB/sec of memory bandwidth (192bit * 6GHz / 8). But that can only be done at up to 1.5GB of memory; the final 512MB of memory is attached to a single memory controller. This invokes the worst case scenario, where only 1 64-bit memory controller is in use and thereby reducing memory bandwidth to a much more modest 48GB/sec.



If this is long term usage, once the card hits the 1.5gb vram barrier, the bus would then start to choke. Making the assumption that nweer games will be much harder on the vram then before as time goes by(especially as new gen consoles are made, it gives devs a reason to kick it up a notch) and sooner or later, the batch of games that may require 1.5gb vram will increase. At the moment, it does fine for most of the part.

from the second link:
Quote:
There are other factors involved that determine gaming performance


the fact that they tested BF3 in single player was partially a point where the 1.5gb vram would never be surpassed. I would think otherwise on multiplayer at times.
Score
0
September 8, 2012 9:18:53 PM

Ok well ive done research on the internet and a lot of people say the 7950 is a better choice over the 660ti by quite a bit. The only reason im considering the 660ti now is because im worried about vsync issues :/  has anyone had bad issues with vsync?
Score
0
a c 106 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 8, 2012 9:21:45 PM

there shouldn't be any vsync issues with any hardware side of cards. at the most, vsync issues will only be caused by software, and can be fixed. Don't let software choices heavily influence your choice.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2012 9:23:20 PM

Frootism said:
Ok well ive done research on the internet and a lot of people say the 7950 is a better choice over the 660ti by quite a bit. The only reason im considering the 660ti now is because im worried about vsync issues :/  has anyone had bad issues with vsync?


On my 7950, the Witcher 2 hits 70+ with Vsync off, with Vsync on, performance plummets to 50 and lower. There are stutters. Don't enable Vsync unless you really need it. It hammers performance, just ignore it unless you get really bad screen tearing. I don't.
Score
0
a c 620 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 8, 2012 9:48:45 PM

Frootism said:
Ok well ive done research on the internet and a lot of people say the 7950 is a better choice over the 660ti by quite a bit. The only reason im considering the 660ti now is because im worried about vsync issues :/  has anyone had bad issues with vsync?

Have you looked at reviews yourself? It's great checking opinions from anonymous forum posters, but bias and exaggeration tends to take over. There's no subsitute for doing the research yourself. bigcyco1 and I have provided links and charts so you can add expert advice to the opinions you find on the web. Be sure to separate out the actual models you are comparing versus reviews that may be showing lower clocked reference models. You even have a review of Adaptive VSync to help with that question.

If it was me, I think you hit it right on the head, both cards are going to perform the same for all intents and purposes. But only the GTX 660 Ti has Adaptive VSync (and PhysX and TXAA and FXAA). If you prefer the feature set listed by sarinaide, then get the 7950.
Score
0
September 8, 2012 10:15:03 PM

17seconds said:
Have you looked at reviews yourself? It's great checking opinions from anonymous forum posters, but bias and exaggeration tends to take over. There's no subsitute for doing the research yourself. bigcyco1 and I have provided links and charts so you can add expert advice to the opinions you find on the web. Be sure to separate out the actual models you are comparing versus reviews that may be showing lower clocked reference models. You even have a review of Adaptive VSync to help with that question.

If it was me, I think you hit it right on the head, both cards are going to perform the same for all intents and purposes. But only the GTX 660 Ti has Adaptive VSync (and PhysX and TXAA and FXAA). If you prefer the feature set listed by sarinaide, then get the 7950.


I just have two more questions about the 660ti.
what dudewitbo posted about the 1.5gb vram barrier worries me. I don't know much about this sort of stuff yet but it just doesn't sound good, and the 7950 doesn't have this. (Sorry if i sound really stupid :p  )
also, will the 660ti be as futureproof as the 7950, ive heard that the 7950 will be more futureproof since it has more vram.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 8, 2012 10:38:06 PM

Frootism said:
I just have two more questions about the 660ti.
what dudewitbo posted about the 1.5gb vram barrier worries me. I don't know much about this sort of stuff yet but it just doesn't sound good, and the 7950 doesn't have this. (Sorry if i sound really stupid :p  )
also, will the 660ti be as futureproof as the 7950, ive heard that the 7950 will be more futureproof since it has more vram.



Go ahead and grab the 7950 it is significantly faster than the 660ti, I am not sure how anyone can recommend the 660ti over a 7950. The 670 is the card that competes with the 7950 in the first place!

384 bit bus+3GB vram>192 but bus+2GB vram

Score
0
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2012 10:39:13 PM

The 7950 will last longer due to the RAM amount and bandwith.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2012 11:56:10 PM

Not sure why we are quibbling when they are both the same price.

Get the 7950.
Score
0
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 9, 2012 12:43:01 AM

Frootism said:
Ok now i dont know what to do :p  However i do really appreciate all your replies, its good to get more info.
I am going to be playing on a 1920x1080 monitor, in the future i will definately not be switching to three monitors. I play mainly Crysis 1 and 2, Bf3, GTA IV and Call of duty MW3. I like to play on the highest settings on most of these games with at least 40 or so fps.
I'm really worried about this whole stuttering thing with the 7950, and the 660ti's adaptive v-sync sounds tempting, but can someone explain this 192-bit vs 384-bit part to me. Sorry for being a noob but i'm not quite clear what sort of difference this makes :p 

ok, let looks at the most recent benchmarks i could find in 3 of the 5 games you listed between a 7950 and 660ti comparing the REFERENCE CARDS (please excuse my caps but i wanted to make sure we are looking at the same thing)
i will use this review to retrieve the data for the comparison:
Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor-X 3 GB and i look at what drivers were used for the test set up
Drivers: NVIDIA: 304.79 Beta ATI: Catalyst 12.7 Beta
for the criteria of what is a win would be more than a 5% difference anything less is a tie. anything more than 10% is considered significant.

crysis 1 less than 5% ( 1.9 FPS difference): TIE

crysis 2 less than 5% (1.4 fps difference): TIE

BF3 more than 5% ( 3.5fps difference/58fps 6%): WIN 660ti (though barely)

unfortunately there is no GTA IV or MW3 benches. though looking at the performance summary of ALL games benchmarked:


still pretty much shows a TIE between the cards. and also since all the benches show a less than 60 fps then any V-sync or frame rate capping would be a moot point; though i am sure since my 550ti hit 45 fps in MW3 it would be relevant in that game . . .

another point you may consider is the price/performance of either card


i think the 14% difference between a stock 7950 and sock 660ti is rather significant. so if you are looking for the best "bang for you buck" that might be the deal breaker. but i do not want to make the desicion for you; you need to make it for yourself. so let me throw this in to confuse you :) 

you asked about the memory bandwidth difference; from what i understand a heavily rendered game would need a better memory bus and more vram. so lets look at one of the most brutal benchmarks i know of:

metro 2033 has an extraordinarily high tessellation. personally i highly doubt many games will be coming out with its level of graphical requirements because, well simply it would not sell so good because not many people are willing to spend a lot of money on hardware to play one game.

so whats the point?
if you want the best bang for your buck without giving up performance . . or do you want to spend a few more bucks and cover your arse if some games you want to play become more demanding.

point is . .its your choice.
Score
0
September 9, 2012 9:18:01 AM

The only thing that is worrying me about the 7950 is the whole tearing thing i will get since i have a 60hz monitor. Vsync apparently can really bring down your fps. The adaptive vsync is the main reason this decision is quite tough for me.
Does AMD cards have anything thats similar to adaptive vsync or is it just Nvidia?
Score
0
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 9, 2012 10:07:59 AM

Frootism said:
The only thing that is worrying me about the 7950 is the whole tearing thing i will get since i have a 60hz monitor. Vsync apparently can really bring down your fps. The adaptive vsync is the main reason this decision is quite tough for me.
Does AMD cards have anything thats similar to adaptive vsync or is it just Nvidia?
This thread is still going on :pfff:  Man don't worry about it you don't half to explain yourself to nobody it's your money get either one if somebody don't like what you decide tell them stick it where the sun don't shine :na:  :hello: 
Score
0
September 9, 2012 12:03:53 PM

Personally I won't be worried about Vsync. I think its just hype and something Nvidia use to put their cards over AMD's cards (Nothing against Nvidia or AMD). Me, personally, I'd get the AMD card, but if you prefer the features Nvidia provides over the features AMD provides, get the Nvidia card. So basically unless your big on Physx or 3D Vision, get the better performing card, regardless of whether it be Nvidia or AMD. But I don't think you need to get hung up on Vsync. For instance I know Virtu MVP also has some Vsync like program but that isn't so hard on the FPS so don't worry! Be happy! ;) 
Score
0
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 9, 2012 5:00:14 PM

Frootism said:
The only thing that is worrying me about the 7950 is the whole tearing thing i will get since i have a 60hz monitor. Vsync apparently can really bring down your fps. The adaptive vsync is the main reason this decision is quite tough for me.
Does AMD cards have anything thats similar to adaptive vsync or is it just Nvidia?

ok, i understand you don't want to make a bad choice because money doesn't grow on trees.

i'll tell you that anything above 60 fps is a moot point and just for bragging rights; your display can render only what its refresh rate will allow. since according to the benchmarks i found that neither card goes above 60 in most graphically heavy games again, it is not a performance concern.

now if you were thinking about screen tearing in a SLI or crossfire set up, then i can understand your concern about screen tearing and the differences in different V-sync advantages. but you are being overly concerned and cautious with a single card solution and causing yourself a lot of stress and torture.
Score
0
September 9, 2012 5:18:09 PM

Kamen_BG said:
Adaptive V-Sync is pretty much a gimmic.It has the same effect as the FPS Cap but it has a cool name to it.
Trust me NOBODY needs it.
And the HD 7950 is better than the 660 Ti.


Adaptive vsync is a nice feature if you like to leave vsync enabled to attain the benefits of TripleBuffering when you do hit the 60FPS mark to prevent image tearing; Nvidia also has the option available, through their control panel, to enable half refresh rate adaptive vsync; ie if your monitor has a 60hz refresh rate and you were to enable said option you would receive, from my understanding, the benefits of vsync and triple buffering even if you were to only hit 30 FPS. I do understand that companies play up their proprietary tech to get a leg up on the competition, however, if the technologies they offer give the end-user a better experience for no more cost then if they had bought a different model then by all means slap it on the firmware/BIOS chip and let it rip!
Score
0
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 9, 2012 5:27:51 PM

LOl!OP i know your already done with this thread as you mentioned in a new one yesterday when you get a chance you should pick a best answer so people don't bother with this anymore anyway enjoy the card i am sure you'll be happy either way!
Score
1
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 9, 2012 5:39:35 PM

Honestly it's because of all the conflicting posts as to why people posting on forums get so confused they come in the hopes for help and more insight and better understanding sad thing is nine time out of ten leave more confused or get their thread taken over by fanboys on each side trying to prove my card bigger and badder then yours thing it's sad but the truth. P.S.This isn't directed towards anybody i mean just in general so nobody get offended unless the shoe fit's.
Score
0
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 9, 2012 5:43:04 PM

bigcyco1 said:
LOl!OP i know your already done with this thread as you mentioned in a new one yesterday when you get a chance you should pick a best answer so people don't bother with this anymore anyway enjoy the card i am sure you'll be happy either way!

oh?

thanks for that - flag deleted.
Score
0
September 9, 2012 5:51:10 PM

I agree bigcyco. Read some reviews, choose the card you want, and enjoy! Truth is if building and upgrading computers isn't fun, then why bother?
Score
0
September 9, 2012 6:44:00 PM

For some reason I can't choose a best answer :/  there is no option.
I think I am going for the 660 ti Power edition as they both seem on par with each other in the games i want to play, and the adaptive vsync sounds like its gonna be quite important since i'm not stepping up to a 120hz monitor anytime soon.
Just wanna say sorry for all of this fuss :p 
Thanks for all of your help
Score
1
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 9, 2012 6:47:11 PM

Frootism said:
For some reason I can't choose a best answer :/  there is no option.
I think I am going for the 660 ti Power edition as they both seem on par with each other in the games i want to play, and the adaptive vsync sounds like its gonna be quite important since i'm not stepping up to a 120hz monitor anytime soon.
Just wanna say sorry for all of this fuss :p 
Thanks for all of your help
I will ask the mod to close it if you are done ?Your welcome and you don't apologize for nothing you did nothing wrong
Score
0
a c 272 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 9, 2012 6:51:55 PM

Frootism said:
For some reason I can't choose a best answer :/  there is no option.
I think I am going for the 660 ti Power edition as they both seem on par with each other in the games i want to play, and the adaptive vsync sounds like its gonna be quite important since i'm not stepping up to a 120hz monitor anytime soon.
Just wanna say sorry for all of this fuss :p 
Thanks for all of your help

Try it now.
Score
0
!