600 intel build for PS

benpaul_anderson

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012
Thanks in advance to the experts on this board

When my laptop was stolen a couple of weeks ago, I pulled my 2007-vintage HP Pavilion desktop out of storage, and in no time flat the motherboard quit on me. I had wanted an incremental upgrade on that desktop, but it looks like starting fresh. (HDD and DVD are reusable, as noted below)

I've seen some build recommendations around this board for 700-800, but I'd like to stay under 600 on mine.

Approximate Purchase Date: immediately

Budget Range: max $600 including shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Photoshop & Illustrator 64 bit (graphic design, lots of layers) - League of Legends - wi-fi media serving for PS3

Parts to Upgrade: RAM is important for the graphics work

Parts to Ignore: HDD, optical drive: will reuse 3.5" Samsung 640GB HDD and a Sony optical drive.... If applicable, I can even reuse HP Pavilion case and 300W PSU (but the cables out of the PSU look like they were specific to the HP configuration)

Are you buying a monitor: No

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: none

Parts Preferences: Want a capable discrete graphics card for good Photoshop 3D features and moderate-to-good LoL performance.

Overclocking: Open to recommendations

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Additional Comments: Future upgrade will probably put a SSD in, but not now. Unit needs wireless, even as a desktop.

Why Are You Upgrading: Former unit crashed

macgreen

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
Well, I'll be the first to admit that I'm not used to trying to build a rig that's not for gaming use, but, here goes.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mq4i

This one is an intel rig. You'd probably want an i7 more than an i5 that can't be overclocked, so I have no doubt the AMD build would probably be better than mine. Still, since I spent a bit of time on figuring this one out, I may as well post it. You can bring it back to under $600 before rebates by getting a cheaper GTX 560.

benpaul_anderson

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012
I keep on hearing that Intel processors are better than similarly-priced AMD's in most non-gaming situations. Is that no longer true?

Been reading from the TH review of the 8350 (not 8320, but obviously close cousins) that it yields an edge in apps that are coded very multithreaded, a big disadvantage in others.

That aside, what's your opinion on the 560 Ti compared to the plain-jane 560?

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=64376&vpn=ENGTX560%20Ti%20DCII%20TOP%2F2DI%2F1GD5&manufacture=ASUS

This looks like a better deal on paper. Y/N?

Thanks to both of you so far for your time