You better kill the green effect of the VGA cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I had random screen freezing problems with my new purchase MSI Radeon R6850 Cyclone PE/OC card. Screen freezing was occurring randomly, sometimes while browsing the internet, sometimes while starting a movie DVD disk with PowerDVD 12.

Whatever I did ( playing with the settings only, no hardware change ), I could not eliminate the problem. Therefore, I contacted MSI Tech Support. MSI tech support offered me a VBIOS update. Actually speaking, MSI support rep told me to use Live Updater to check for a probable update for my card. The updater found a VBIOS update. When I did the update, I saw to my surprise that my card's speed characteristics have completely changed. Idle state memory clock has become constant at 1100 MHz. ( Previously it was 150 MHz ) So independent of the state the card is in, the memory clock is always at 1100 MHz. Idle state core clock has become 300 MHz. ( Previously it was 100 MHz ) So core clock changes between 300 MHz and 860 MHz, depending on load.

As you will see, this VBIOS update killed the green effect and energy efficiency of the card. Idle state temperature of the card rose from 43 C to 52 C. But the card also became a very good performer, never to freeze again under any running condition. At least till now ( two full days ).

Therefore, unless those of you, who have problems with their cards, kill the greenness of the card, you may not be able to get rid of its evil effects.

seamus_ar

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2012
There are times that power saving features can cause difficulties with some hardware; however, it is rare.

When troubleshooting, consider the possibility and rule it out, but don't depend on it being the answer in all cases.

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Thanks for your comments.

What I am trying to say is different. It is MSI who issued the VBIOS update that killed the energy efficiency of the card, not me. And MSI thinks this is the answer in all cases If you have the same card and use Live Updater, you will face the same fate. The VBIOS update is not peculiar to my card. It is not custom-made.

Status
Not open for further replies.