Sign in with
Your question

Display not working - Very very confused - Please read

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 7, 2012 4:58:15 PM

Hi there guys.

First off, the too long didn't read.

Graphics card works, HDMI to DVI cable works, monitor works. Graphics card works with cable, cable works on monitor, but the graphics card won't output to that display.

Next order of business, my specs:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300
4GB DDR2 800mhz RAM
Seagate 400GB 7200RPM HDD
Palit Radeon HD 4650 512MB
Samsung 19" HD monitor (not sure which model, it has touch buttons on the front)

So here's the rundown. I accidentally dropped something and it landed behind my computer. As I leaned over to grab it I slipped and reactions kicked in meaning my hands spread out and I landed on my HDMI to DVI cable. The HDMI connector was hanging off the wire. Since my monitor only supports Dual link DVI connections and I use the monitor with other HDMI stuff (OnLive console, PS3, all that stuff) I got another one.

Plugged the new cable in, no display. Went to check if it was the cable. It worked fine with my computer outputting to my dad's DVI monitor. Worked fine with my OnLive console and the PS3 outputting to my monitor. Meaning I had eliminated the graphics card, HDMI to Dual Link DVI lead and my monitor.

So the graphics card works with the lead, the lead works with the monitor, but they don't work together.

I thought it might be the motherboard but that was eliminated after I tried my card on my dad's motherboard with my monitor and lead. Nothing. So could it be that something has happened to my graphics card which isn't letting me output to my monitor?

Also it doesn't even show up with a BIOS splash screen. And yes it boots up, confirmed it does when I used the cable with my dad's monitor.

The VGA and DVI ports on the graphics card have never worked.

This is an urgent matter as I need it running ASAP.
Also don't know which category this comes under since I don't know what's causing the problem.

Thanks in advance, Huzi.
September 7, 2012 5:39:29 PM

I had problems similar to this. I always try taking out the RAM and, not replacing it, but switch them all to different slots. If that doesn't work take the graphics card out and put it back in.
September 8, 2012 1:03:44 PM

bobaillery said:
I had problems similar to this. I always try taking out the RAM and, not replacing it, but switch them all to different slots. If that doesn't work take the graphics card out and put it back in.

I basically took apart the PC down to it's bare chassis and made sure everything as connected and even changed the slots the dual channel memory is running in, so it's not that. Even if it was, I don't see why it would work with a different monitor.
!