yHaveMercy

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012
I recently bought a Asus P7P55D Pro Motherboard, and Intel i5 650 to use with my Cooler Master CM 690 Case, Evga 1Gb DDR3 Gtx 285 Graphics Card, Western Digital 320GB SATA, and Kingston 4GB 1333 RAM that i had laying around brand new.. I was going to use my Thermaltake TR2 RX-550 ATX 12v 2.2 Power Supply and old dvd burner out of my older computer. I have 2 questions does this seem like a good build and should I use the old power supply or go out and buy a new one?

Solution
These are all pretty old parts, but they would work fine if you can't return them or whatnot. I just hope you didn't pay too much for them.

Thermaltake doesnt make very reliable units; I would recommend a higher quality unit from Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, or PC Power & Cooling.

computernoob29

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
have you had these parts laying around new for 3-4 years or did you seriously buy this all new recently. cause if you bought it new, i would return all of it except the case and maybe the hard drive. and if you cant return all of it, then atleast return the proccesor and motherboard and get something of this year like an i5-3570k and asus p8z77-v motherboard

yHaveMercy

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012

why return and iv had the rest for alittle over a year

These are all pretty old parts, but they would work fine if you can't return them or whatnot. I just hope you didn't pay too much for them.

Thermaltake doesnt make very reliable units; I would recommend a higher quality unit from Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, or PC Power & Cooling.

Solution

yHaveMercy

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012

thanks for the straight answer im going to get a new power supply and i only came out of pocket $200 without the new gpu so id like to think i got a good deal for my money. thanks again!