Minolta 7D vs. Nikon D70

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 29, 2005 1:27:26 PM

I currently have a Minolta 35mm camera with 4 AF lenses.
I had planned on buying the Minolta Maxxum 7D for the anti-shake and
lens compatibility values.
However, I have also been considering the Nikon D70 package that comes
with 2 lenses...the price of the Nikon package and the Minolta 7D
(body only) are pretty close.

Now I realise there are people out there that swear by Nikon and
others by Minolta (among other brands) but for me, it's becoming a
toss-up between these 2 cameras.

Any opinions to help me reach a decision would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

More about : minolta nikon d70

January 29, 2005 1:27:27 PM

stator wrote:

> I had planned on buying the Minolta Maxxum 7D for the anti-shake and
> lens compatibility values.
> However, I have also been considering the Nikon D70 package that comes
> with 2 lenses...the price of the Nikon package and the Minolta 7D
> (body only) are pretty close.

What two lenses? Probably Tamron or something. Nikon VR (antishake) is
expensive. The lens is the camera with DSLR's, I think it makes sense to
go with the Minolta though I know nothing about it.
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 7:06:58 PM

stator wrote:

> I currently have a Minolta 35mm camera with 4 AF lenses.
> I had planned on buying the Minolta Maxxum 7D for the anti-shake and
> lens compatibility values.
> However, I have also been considering the Nikon D70 package that comes
> with 2 lenses...the price of the Nikon package and the Minolta 7D
> (body only) are pretty close.
>
> Now I realise there are people out there that swear by Nikon and
> others by Minolta (among other brands) but for me, it's becoming a
> toss-up between these 2 cameras.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/konicaminolta7d/

summarized:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/konicaminolta7d/page20....
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/konicaminolta7d/page26....

If you have Minolta lenses, then it's likely a good idea to stay in system. If
you have a 3600 or 5600 flash (Minolta) plus those lenses, then moreso.

If you forsee building a system, Nikon has advantages lenswise. There are a
bunch of Minolta lenses that beat their Nikon counterpart, but overall Nikon
just has a greater variety of very good lenses.

Personally, were I to jump away from Minolta for DSLR migration it would be to
Canon, not Nikon.

Cheers,
Alan

January 29, 2005 7:47:31 PM

>summarized:
>http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/konicaminolta7d/page20....
>http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/konicaminolta7d/page26....
>
>If you have Minolta lenses, then it's likely a good idea to stay in system. If
>you have a 3600 or 5600 flash (Minolta) plus those lenses, then moreso.
>If you forsee building a system, Nikon has advantages lenswise. There are a
>bunch of Minolta lenses that beat their Nikon counterpart, but overall Nikon
>just has a greater variety of very good lenses.
>Personally, were I to jump away from Minolta for DSLR migration it would be to
>Canon, not Nikon.

Thanks for the side-by-side comparison link Alan, that's very helpful.

Joe
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 8:05:21 PM

I see no reason to buy a D70 if you already own Minolta AF lenses.
I have owned Minoltas and Nikons for many years and there is no difference
in quality between these brands overall.
I own a D70 and I believe it is possibly the most over-hyped camera ever
made. It is not a bad camera but there is no substantial reason to buy a D70
rather than the new Minolta dSLR if you already have an investment in
Minolta lenses that you like.
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 8:05:22 PM

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 17:05:21 GMT, "bmoag" <apquilts@pacbell.net>
wrote:

>I have owned Minoltas and Nikons for many years and there is no difference
>in quality between these brands overall.

I do have a preference for Minolta as I have used their equiptment for
years...so I guess the statement you made above was what I was looking
to hear.

Joe
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 10:15:26 PM

"bmoag" <apquilts@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>I see no reason to buy a D70 if you already own Minolta AF lenses.
> I have owned Minoltas and Nikons for many years and there is no difference
> in quality between these brands overall.
> I own a D70 and I believe it is possibly the most over-hyped camera ever
> made. It is not a bad camera but there is no substantial reason to buy a
> D70 rather than the new Minolta dSLR if you already have an investment in
> Minolta lenses that you like.

I have to second that. I just bought a D70, but the reason was because I
already have some Nikon lenses, and found out they could be converted to use
with the D70. Jumping ship can cost you a lot if you have to invest in all
new components from another manufacturer. And I doubt most people would see
the difference in quality if you stay with Minolta. I also used Minoltas,
but went to Nikon when I started to get serious about my photography, and
only because Nikon offered more things that appealed to me. Getting the D70
just made sense, given my budget.
January 30, 2005 2:38:45 PM

if yout dont got for the Minolta, just go with Canon 20D. Forget the D70.
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 6:32:02 PM

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 11:38:45 -0500, "Chuck" <nospammm@no__spam.com>
wrote:
>if yout dont got for the Minolta, just go with Canon 20D. Forget the D70.

I was considering the 20D at one point also, but I followed a few
threads in this group about potential problems with them. Not sure of
the exact nature of the problems, but it was enough to make me looks
at other cameras instead.

Joe
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 12:50:19 AM

stator <fullcamo@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in

> I was considering the 20D at one point also, but I followed a few
> threads in this group about potential problems with them. Not sure of
> the exact nature of the problems, but it was enough to make me looks
> at other cameras instead.

Hmmm .. what might that be?

As far as I know the 20D is one of the best right now.
I think you shall try to find out if those rumours are
true or not before you dismiss it.

/Roland
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 12:50:20 AM

Roland Karlsson wrote:

> stator <fullcamo@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in
>

>>I was considering the 20D at one point also, but I followed a few
>>threads in this group about potential problems with them. Not sure of
>>the exact nature of the problems, but it was enough to make me looks
>>at other cameras instead.
>

> Hmmm .. what might that be?
>
> As far as I know the 20D is one of the best right now.
> I think you shall try to find out if those rumours are
> true or not before you dismiss it.

Then he'll have to buy lenses as well. With the 7D, he already has 4 lenses...

I agree that the 20D is not to be discounted out-of-hand.

January 31, 2005 12:50:20 AM

>> I was considering the 20D at one point also, but I followed a few
>> threads in this group about potential problems with them. Not sure of
>> the exact nature of the problems, but it was enough to make me looks
>> at other cameras instead.
>Hmmm .. what might that be?
>As far as I know the 20D is one of the best right now.
>I think you shall try to find out if those rumours are
>true or not before you dismiss it.
>/Roland

There was a posting entitled "20D: a flawed camera?" in this group. It
referred to a couple of people having problems with their cameras.
Now, I imagine that any manufacturer is going to have a few lemons
(don't buy a car made on a Monday, right?).
From the reviews I've read on the 20D, it seems to be an excellent
camera....but as Alan said, I would have to purchase lenses for it.
Hence my decision to look at both the 7D (with I have lenses for) and
the D70 kit (which comes with 2 lenses). By the way, the lenses that
come with the Nikon kit are a NIKON 18-70 Lens and a NIKON 70-300 Lens

I like the external controls of the 7D and the large screen....so I'm
90% certain now that that's the camera I will purchase.

Now I just have to find one in Canada at a reasonable price.

:-)

Joe
January 31, 2005 12:50:21 AM

"stator" <fullcamo@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
news:D kpqv0pcqkfprg4a76piis5q9i2e19r7l4@4ax.com...
> >> I was considering the 20D at one point also, but I followed a few
> >> threads in this group about potential problems with them. Not sure of
> >> the exact nature of the problems, but it was enough to make me looks
> >> at other cameras instead.
> >Hmmm .. what might that be?
> >As far as I know the 20D is one of the best right now.
> >I think you shall try to find out if those rumours are
> >true or not before you dismiss it.
> >/Roland
>
> There was a posting entitled "20D: a flawed camera?" in this group. It
> referred to a couple of people having problems with their cameras.
> Now, I imagine that any manufacturer is going to have a few lemons
> (don't buy a car made on a Monday, right?).
> From the reviews I've read on the 20D, it seems to be an excellent
> camera....but as Alan said, I would have to purchase lenses for it.
> Hence my decision to look at both the 7D (with I have lenses for) and
> the D70 kit (which comes with 2 lenses). By the way, the lenses that
> come with the Nikon kit are a NIKON 18-70 Lens and a NIKON 70-300 Lens
>

> I like the external controls of the 7D and the large screen....so I'm
> 90% certain now that that's the camera I will purchase.
>

> Now I just have to find one in Canada at a reasonable price.

What do consider a "reasonable" Canadian price? KM Canada aren't doing
themselves any favours with they way they are marketing the 7D. I have about
12 in stock right now.
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 12:50:22 AM

>> Now I just have to find one in Canada at a reasonable price.
>>
>What do consider a "reasonable" Canadian price? KM Canada aren't doing
>themselves any favours with they way they are marketing the 7D. I have about
>12 in stock right now.

Well, just about everywhere I look in retail stores or online in
Canada, the going price for the body only seems to be $1999 CAD.
That's $2300 CAD with tax.

Now, I found a supplier that sells them online for $1600 CAD + 15% tax
(in Ontario)
I am considering buying from this supplier this week unless I can find
a better deal.

Joe
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 11:09:07 AM

stator wrote:
> currently have a Minolta 35mm camera with 4 AF lenses.
>I had planned on buying the Minolta Maxxum 7D for the
>anti-shake and lens compatibility values.
>However, I have also been considering the Nikon D70
>package that comes with 2 lenses...the price of the Nikon
>package and the Minolta 7D (body only) are pretty close.
>
>Now I realise there are people out there that swear by
>Nikon and others by Minolta (among other brands) but for
>me, it's becoming a toss-up between these 2 cameras.
>
>Any opinions to help me reach a decision would be appreciated.

I am not a Minolta expert but I faced the similar decision when I
wanted a DSLR but the camera brand I use (Pentax) didn't make one. It
is very tempting to buy one from the "Big Two" (Nikon/Canon) but I am
happy I waited for Pentax. I waited until there was trustworthy
reviews of the *ist D. In fact I waited too long and my reward was
getting the even cheaper "bargain" *ist DS ...

I think you should wait a little. The Minolta 7D price will lower. Or
maybe Minolta will announce cheaper 5D without expensive (but useful!)
anti-skahe.

Like Pentax, Minolta makes very good lenses with excellent "look". The
results might be made with German design lenses (Leica, Zeiss) which
all have this "look". Canon and Nikon lenses are sharp, maybe very
sharp, but only a few lenses have the "look".

Many Nikon lenses made in last few years are no better than junk glass,
looking sharp in the centre but with soft edges, big distortion and
dark at corners. Wide angle zooms at lower prices have been *very* bad
in these ways - and this is not good for digital as we need the wider
lenses more.

I think Pentax and Minolta lenses are very superior to Canon and Nikon,
except for Canon L and top Nikkors which are good but expensive. Even
cheap Pentax and Minolta lenses are good and have the "look".

So my advice - stay with your brand (Minolta) and wait until price
drops. It will.

(Believe me! It will.)

So you can keep your excellent Minolta glass and buy a new wide angle,
knowing it will be better than a Nikkor or Canon (except for expensive
ones). Maybe buy wide angle now and enjoy using, while you are waiting?
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 2:48:54 PM

Hi,

>I currently have a Minolta 35mm camera with 4 AF lenses.

So did I a few weeks ago :)

> I had planned on buying the Minolta Maxxum 7D for the anti-shake and
> lens compatibility values.

My motivations were the same.

> However, I have also been considering the Nikon D70 package that comes
> with 2 lenses...the price of the Nikon package and the Minolta 7D
> (body only) are pretty close.

I only considered the Dynax 7D, because additionnally to being anti shake &
lens compatible, it had the simple & efficient ergonomy of my 600 Si.

So I bought a 7D.

> Any opinions to help me reach a decision would be appreciated.

I can only tell from my few weeks of experience with the 7D (nota bene, this
is my first digital camera).

- overall, all is very much ok and well thought, and very consistant with my
Minolta habits (I have a 600si and a 9xi but I find the 600 much easier to
use thanks to its 'one feature, one button' approach, which luckily is the
same on the 7D). Most pictures I shot were as I expected them to be. The
menu system is not overloaded, and I find it well thought too. The camera
body feels rugged although heavier than you'd expect. I like this camera a
lot.

- anti shake is pure magic. I take pictures in low light condition, where
you'd need a flash with a non stabilized camera, and they are sharp even at
1/15th s (of course, only if subject not in motion).

- the ergonomy being the same as the 600si, the 7D has the few things which
i wished to have on the 600si. Main item (for my taste of course) is "DMF" :
after you activate this option, the camera autofocuses, and then retracts
the AF mechanism so you can manually retouch the focus.

- the pictures taken feel very "natural colors", to some extent, more than
with the films i was used to on the 600si (usually Kodak royal gold 200).
The default settings don't enhance neither sharpness nor color saturation,
and this is a good thing. You can retouch the settings ("natural+" and
"sharpen++" seem to be widely suggested settings if you seek for a bit more
impact).

- the camera looks a bit faster than the 600si in terms of general
operation, it is ok by my tastes, although you hear here and there that it
is slower than the canon & nikon counterparts.

- the only annoying thing so far with my 7D is that mine exposes a
consistent habit of underexposing pictures taken with flash. Of course you
can correct this using the flash exposure dedicated offset dial setup, but I
wonder why they set it up like that.

Kind regards,
--
Stéphane
January 31, 2005 7:29:06 PM

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:48:54 +0100, "Stéphane Guillard"
<stephane.guillard@steria.com> had a flock of green cheek conures
squawk out:

>- the only annoying thing so far with my 7D is that mine exposes a
>consistent habit of underexposing pictures taken with flash. Of course you
>can correct this using the flash exposure dedicated offset dial setup, but I
>wonder why they set it up like that.

If this occurs with the 5600HS(D), the flash needs to be sent to KM
for reprogramming. On some 5600 flashes, the preflash for setting the
exposure isn't correct.

Stephen

February 1, 2005 5:44:15 AM

Joe,

I guess I'll add my two cents' worth to the conversation, although by
my math, the kitty already contains almost two bits' worth of good
information.

I'm a fellow Minolta owner. Though I lusted for the 7000 when it was
first introduced (I was in high school then), when I could finally
afford to take the plunge, it was the 7xi that I bought.

Like you, I've acquired several excellent Minolta lenses for it
(though I committed the minor blasphemy of choosing some Sigma and
Tamron lenses as well -- hey, I was on a budget!!!)

When I made the move to digital a few years ago, I decided to try the
Minolta RD-175 because it used Maxxum lenses. However, I also bought
the RD3000 because it had a higher image resolution. (I bought them
both used, which is why I ended up with two cameras, released several
years apart, over the span of a single weekend!)

The RD3000 uses the Minolta Vectis lenses, and although they are
probably fine for their intended purpose (projecting an image onto the
inferior Advantix film), THEY DON'T HOLD A CANDLE TO THE MAXXUM
LENSES. Obviously, this is true for many other camera/lens brands as
well!

I am now planning to buy the new 7D. It's the camera that I should
have saved my money for instead of buying the RD3000. (Who knew that
Minolta would revisit their "old" Maxxum lenses with a new, kick-ass
digital??? Live and learn.) I'll probably still keep the RD3000, to
use as a knockabout second-string camera for places that I would NOT
take the 7D (like a beach). Also, adding the 7D to my arsenal would
give me the entire historical ensemble of Minolta digital SLRs.

Anyway, here's some stuff that was told to me by the sales guy at my
WONDERFUL local camera shop. Yeah, I know he's there to SELL CAMERAS
(period!) but I tend to believe what he was telling me. First, he
doesn't figure that the price will drop on the 7D. At least not
significantly. He pointed to other DSLRs that have remained within
10-20% of their inital price, and said that a DSLR is more likely to
be withdrawn from the market (and replaced with newer model) before
its price cools significantly. But so what? At some point you have
to say that "I could've saved $400 by waiting two years, but look at
the great pictures I took for that $200-per-year!!!"

Second, and perhaps far more significant to those of us who HAVE and
LOVE Minolta Maxxum lenses and the cameras that they work with, the
new partnership with Konica has resulted in plans for a series of
Konica Hexanon lenses to be released (probably before year end) for
the Maxxum platform! Now, if you're a more well-rounded camera buff
than I am, you'll appreciate the significance of this. (I had to be
told that the Konica Hexanon lenses are ranked among the VERY BEST
lenses in the world, and many feel that they rival the top stuff from
legends such as Leica and Zeiss.)

Now, I'll temper these remarks by saying that I read a side-by-side
comparison of the 7D with the D70, and I did find myself saying "Gee,
I wish Minolta had copied that" on more than one occasion. Such as
their feeble idea to replace "hot" pixels with blackened pixels
instead of average the ones around it. Or the "anti-noise" algorithms
that tend to rob more sharpness than the Nikon version. Little stuff
like that.

But in my final analysis, anyone owning Maxxum lenses would be crazy
to consider buying a camera that required a new batch of
far-more-expensive "antishake-included" lenses instead of using the
gems they already own!

Good luck.

HD

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 10:27:26 -0500, stator <fullcamo@NOSPAMgmail.com>
wrote:

>I currently have a Minolta 35mm camera with 4 AF lenses.
>I had planned on buying the Minolta Maxxum 7D for the anti-shake and
>lens compatibility values.
>However, I have also been considering the Nikon D70 package that comes
>with 2 lenses...the price of the Nikon package and the Minolta 7D
>(body only) are pretty close.
>
>Now I realise there are people out there that swear by Nikon and
>others by Minolta (among other brands) but for me, it's becoming a
>toss-up between these 2 cameras.
>
>Any opinions to help me reach a decision would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Joe
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 2:48:37 PM

stator wrote:

> Now I just have to find one in Canada at a reasonable price.

What do you consider "reasonable"?

PMA is coming, following that there may be reason for the 7D price to fall.

February 1, 2005 2:49:44 PM

Darrell wrote:

> What do consider a "reasonable" Canadian price? KM Canada aren't doing
> themselves any favours with they way they are marketing the 7D. I have about
> 12 in stock right now.

So how much? And are KM holding you to a sales price?

February 1, 2005 2:56:47 PM

Stéphane Guillard wrote:

<<SNIPPED>>
> - the only annoying thing so far with my 7D is that mine exposes a
> consistent habit of underexposing pictures taken with flash. Of course you
> can correct this using the flash exposure dedicated offset dial setup, but I
> wonder why they set it up like that.

Stéph, thanks for your comments on the 7D. It's good to hear from actual users.
Do you have images posted?

Cheers,
Alan

February 1, 2005 3:06:32 PM

Stephen wrote:

> If this occurs with the 5600HS(D), the flash needs to be sent to KM
> for reprogramming. On some 5600 flashes, the preflash for setting the
> exposure isn't correct.

Indeed? Do you have references for that (eg: Minolta announcements?)

February 1, 2005 7:31:46 PM

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 11:51:58 -0500, Alan Browne
<alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:

>stator wrote:
>> Now, I found a supplier that sells them online for $1600 CAD + 15% tax
>> (in Ontario)
>Who is that?

prodigital2000 on Ebay.
They are local to me. They have very high shipping rates within
Canada, but even with that, my total for a new Minolta Maxxum 7D body
cost me $1759.50 (CAD) with tax (15%) and shipping included.

This is not the one I bought but I paid about the same for mine.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=...

They told me the camera comes with a 1yr warranty from Minolta and a
3yr extenteded warranty from a company in New Jersey called "Mack".

I called a few stores that carry this camera (including Henry's) and
the price was consistantly $1999.99 + tax ($2300 CAD total)

I ordered it today and will have it tomorrow.

Joe
February 1, 2005 11:49:05 PM

wrote:
>I had planned on buying the Minolta Maxxum 7D for the anti-shake and
>lens compatibility values.
What changed?

>Now I realise there are people out there that swear by Nikon and
>others by Minolta (among other brands) but for me, it's becoming a
>toss-up between these 2 cameras.
>Any opinions to help me reach a decision would be appreciated.

Have you held and handled either of them? I suggest you do that first.
After all you have to use it, and you're not buying it to put on a
shelf to look pretty and brag about it's features to friends, right?

For me it wasn't really an issue. Lots of Minolta glass and I've got
very much used to the handling of my Dynax 7. I haven't even looked my
7D's manual because of that.
Just buy the tool that fits YOUR needs and way of working, and not
those of a sales guy or Minolta/Nikon/Canon fanatic.

Cheers.

M.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 2:18:40 AM

"Alan Browne" <alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> a écrit dans le message de
> Stephen wrote:
>

> > If this occurs with the 5600HS(D), the flash needs to be sent to KM
> > for reprogramming. On some 5600 flashes, the preflash for setting the
> > exposure isn't correct.
>
> Indeed? Do you have references for that (eg: Minolta announcements?)

Yes, there is something in the KM FAQ :

http://kmpi.konicaminolta.us/eprise/main/kmpi/content/c...

see the second question :
"Images are underexposed when using the Program Flash 5600HS(D) or
3600HS(D), compared to when built-in flash is used. Can this be changed?"

And now they are telling the 3600HSD can be adjusted too.

--
Philippe Boite
http://philippe.boite.free.fr

Hi,

> Stéph, thanks for your comments on the 7D. It's good to hear from actual
> users.

You are my guest.

> Do you have images posted?

No, I don't have any online gallery or what, but I could put some on my
website, I'll see what i can do soon.

Kind regards,
--
Stéphane
Anonymous

stator wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 11:51:58 -0500, Alan Browne
> <alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
>

>>stator wrote:
>>
>>>Now, I found a supplier that sells them online for $1600 CAD + 15% tax
>>>(in Ontario)
>>
>>Who is that?
>

> prodigital2000 on Ebay.
> They are local to me. They have very high shipping rates within
> Canada, but even with that, my total for a new Minolta Maxxum 7D body
> cost me $1759.50 (CAD) with tax (15%) and shipping included.

If they're local to you, why not pick it up directly and save more on shipping?
(Did you ask?).

> This is not the one I bought but I paid about the same for mine.
> http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=...
>
> They told me the camera comes with a 1yr warranty from Minolta and a
> 3yr extenteded warranty from a company in New Jersey called "Mack".

That's another area I would have tried to duck dollars.

> I called a few stores that carry this camera (including Henry's) and
> the price was consistantly $1999.99 + tax ($2300 CAD total)

The price is crumbling. There was a steady $2100/$2200 CAD price line all
through X-mas and up to recent. I've had a very decent price quoted locally,
not quite as good as the price you quote.

> I ordered it today and will have it tomorrow.

Good for you. I look forward to your comments and please post some images.

February 2, 2005 2:09:59 PM

Philippe Boite wrote:

>>Indeed? Do you have references for that (eg: Minolta announcements?)
>>

> Yes, there is something in the KM FAQ :
>
> http://kmpi.konicaminolta.us/eprise/main/kmpi/content/c...
>
> see the second question :
> "Images are underexposed when using the Program Flash 5600HS(D) or
> 3600HS(D), compared to when built-in flash is used. Can this be changed?"
>
> And now they are telling the 3600HSD can be adjusted too.

Merci Philippe!

Salutations,
Alan

February 2, 2005 6:55:31 PM

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 11:08:02 -0500, Alan Browne
<alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:

>> prodigital2000 on Ebay.
>> They are local to me. They have very high shipping rates within
>> Canada, but even with that, my total for a new Minolta Maxxum 7D body
>> cost me $1759.50 (CAD) with tax (15%) and shipping included.
>
>If they're local to you, why not pick it up directly and save more on shipping?
>(Did you ask?).

Of course I asked...hehe
they are only 5 minutes from me but since they only sell online, they
have to ship the product no matter what. I'm expecting mine to be
delivered by cab sometime today. I did manage to get them to knock off
some of the shipping cost at least.

I'm looking forward to getting it.
I was going to order this 2.2gb microdrive from Tigerdirect.ca. It's
probably cheap for a reason...any opinions?
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...

Joe
February 2, 2005 6:55:32 PM

stator wrote:

> I was going to order this 2.2gb microdrive from Tigerdirect.ca. It's
> probably cheap for a reason...any opinions?
> http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...

Right after I bought a 2GB microdrive everyone was saying it's a dying
technology, etc. Hmph! Right along with my old Oly that uses smart media
cards that nobody uses now.
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 11:30:26 PM

In article <saf2019mvlbevf17uopdsu7u72ua3bmst4@4ax.com>,
stator <fullcamo@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:

[ ... ]

>I was going to order this 2.2gb microdrive from Tigerdirect.ca. It's
>probably cheap for a reason...any opinions?
>http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...

Hmm ... some thoughts:

1) I know that the Nikon D70 can only upgrade its flash firmware
image from a CF (Compact Flash) card, not a microdrive. (It is
documented in the web page where you download the flash
upgrade.) Since you are getting a Minolta, I don't know whether
this applies -- but you should check it out, and if necessary
have a smaller CF card for the purpose.

2) I don't know for sure, but I would expect the power drain on
your camera's batteries to be higher. And (in hot weather and
heavy shooting) you might raise the camera's temperature enough
to be a problem.

3) Even with its rather impressive shock figures, you *really*
don't want to risk dropping a disk drive. (And there is not much
to hold onto with these tiny drives.)

A CF card is very shock-tolerant. While it is not too expensive
to replace the microdrive, what about all of those images with
which you have filled it? How do you replace them? If you *do*
kill it by dropping it, what are the odds that you will have 2.0
gb of images or greater on the drive?

4) I don't know the actual write rates for the CF cards, but there
is no seek time involved, and the CF cards are available to very
high speeds. Mine is an "80X", and the time to transfer images
to the card is quite minimal -- helpful if you plan to shoot
bursts of shots. (And one battery charge for the Nikon D70 can
handle up to 1000 shots at medium/fine setting, with about a
third of them involving the built-in flash. I don't think that
the microdrive would be as kind to the batteries.

And -- in contrast, my 1GB 80X CF card cost me about $250 (USD),
while the microdrive offers more than twice as much space for about half
the price.

Just some opinions -- not known facts.

I hope that this helps,
DoN.
February 3, 2005 11:37:24 PM

On 3 Feb 2005 20:30:26 -0500, dnichols@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:
>>I was going to order this 2.2gb microdrive from Tigerdirect.ca. It's
>>probably cheap for a reason...any opinions?
>>http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...
> Hmm ... some thoughts:
>1) I know that the Nikon D70 can only upgrade its flash firmware
> image from a CF (Compact Flash) card, not a microdrive. (It is
> documented in the web page where you download the flash
> upgrade.) Since you are getting a Minolta, I don't know whether
> this applies -- but you should check it out, and if necessary
> have a smaller CF card for the purpose.
>2) I don't know for sure, but I would expect the power drain on
> your camera's batteries to be higher. And (in hot weather and
> heavy shooting) you might raise the camera's temperature enough
> to be a problem.
>3) Even with its rather impressive shock figures, you *really*
> don't want to risk dropping a disk drive. (And there is not much
> to hold onto with these tiny drives.)
> A CF card is very shock-tolerant. While it is not too expensive
> to replace the microdrive, what about all of those images with
> which you have filled it? How do you replace them? If you *do*
> kill it by dropping it, what are the odds that you will have 2.0
> gb of images or greater on the drive?
>4) I don't know the actual write rates for the CF cards, but there
> is no seek time involved, and the CF cards are available to very
> high speeds. Mine is an "80X", and the time to transfer images
> to the card is quite minimal -- helpful if you plan to shoot
> bursts of shots. (And one battery charge for the Nikon D70 can
> handle up to 1000 shots at medium/fine setting, with about a
> third of them involving the built-in flash. I don't think that
> the microdrive would be as kind to the batteries.
> And -- in contrast, my 1GB 80X CF card cost me about $250 (USD),
>while the microdrive offers more than twice as much space for about half
>the price.
> Just some opinions -- not known facts.
> I hope that this helps,
> DoN.

Thanks Don, after looking into it some more, I decided to purchase the
Lexar 2gb 80x CF card instead of the microdrive. From the reviews I've
read on that particular microdrive, it's hit and miss.

The price of the 2gb CF card from www.tigerdirect.ca is $269.99 CAD
plus tax and shipping. I will be purchasing it next week. That should
hold me over for awhile.

I got the new 7D yesterday and I love it. I'll post some pics when I
get around to it.

Joe
February 4, 2005 5:04:37 AM

> Thanks Don, after looking into it some more, I decided to purchase the
> Lexar 2gb 80x CF card instead of the microdrive. From the reviews I've
> read on that particular microdrive, it's hit and miss.
>
> The price of the 2gb CF card from www.tigerdirect.ca is $269.99 CAD
> plus tax and shipping. I will be purchasing it next week. That should
> hold me over for awhile.
>
> I got the new 7D yesterday and I love it. I'll post some pics when I
> get around to it.

I'm not Don, but am taking the opportunity to offer my (unsolicited) advice:
get two 1GB drives instead of one 2GB. Cheaper, just as much storage, and
less change of total failure (i.e., highly unlikely both cards would go bad
at once). Just my two cents' worth.

- John
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 5:04:38 AM

In article <VKAMd.13229$2e7.7459@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com>,
John <noneya.biz@email.com> wrote:
>"stator" <fullcamo@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks Don, after looking into it some more, I decided to purchase the
>> Lexar 2gb 80x CF card instead of the microdrive. From the reviews I've
>> read on that particular microdrive, it's hit and miss.

[ ... ]

>> I got the new 7D yesterday and I love it. I'll post some pics when I
>> get around to it.

Great! You have some web space available, I presume? I think
that posting images to the newsgroup (instead of URLS leading to images)
is not according to the charter for this newsgroup (which I have not yet
seen). It is normally so with any newsgroup which does not have
"binaries" in its name. (And certainly a problem in reaching me,
because somewhere upstream in ny news feed most binaries (and the posts
containing them) are automatically dropped in the bit bucket. :-)

>I'm not Don, but am taking the opportunity to offer my (unsolicited) advice:
>get two 1GB drives instead of one 2GB. Cheaper, just as much storage, and
>less change of total failure (i.e., highly unlikely both cards would go bad
>at once). Just my two cents' worth.

And that's what I did -- though at the time (about last June),
the price of the Lexar 1gb 80x cards was about what you are about to pay
for a 2gb one.

I wonder whether the Lexar "2nd generation" cards are out, yet?
(I just read about them following a link from elsewhere in this thread.)
That URL was:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=600...

and then followed into a comparison of CF cards from different
manufacturers.

Good Luck,
DoN.

February 4, 2005 5:03:14 PM

stator wrote:
> I'm looking forward to getting it.
> I was going to order this 2.2gb microdrive from Tigerdirect.ca. It's

My opinion is don't risk it. Moving parts are simply more likely to fail.

Shock figures are very misleading. High g numbers should not be taken
as a high resistance to shock in all cases. Shock tests are usually
done in a way where a lot of surface is involved in the collision. The
same object dropped on a corner experiences much higher shock and will
more likely fail.

Having said all of the above, there are many people who use these drives
for a long time without any faults.

I like peace of mind, so I go solid state wherever I can.

Cheers,
Alan

March 6, 2005 1:46:32 PM

Alan Browne- <alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:
> stator wrote:
>> I'm looking forward to getting it.
>> I was going to order this 2.2gb microdrive from Tigerdirect.ca. It's

> My opinion is don't risk it. Moving parts are simply more likely to
> fail.

But they're only moving when they're in the camera.

> Shock figures are very misleading. High g numbers should not be
> taken as a high resistance to shock in all cases. Shock tests are
> usually done in a way where a lot of surface is involved in the
> collision. The same object dropped on a corner experiences much
> higher shock and will more likely fail.

But exactly the same is true of solid state CF cards.

Andrew.
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 3:00:13 PM

andrew29@littlepinkcloud.invalid wrote:

> Alan Browne- <alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:
>
>>stator wrote:
>>
>>>I'm looking forward to getting it.
>>>I was going to order this 2.2gb microdrive from Tigerdirect.ca. It's
>

>>My opinion is don't risk it. Moving parts are simply more likely to
>>fail.
>

> But they're only moving when they're in the camera.
>

>>Shock figures are very misleading. High g numbers should not be
>>taken as a high resistance to shock in all cases. Shock tests are
>>usually done in a way where a lot of surface is involved in the
>>collision. The same object dropped on a corner experiences much
>>higher shock and will more likely fail.
>

> But exactly the same is true of solid state CF cards.

Those moving parts tend to move when shocked. They might not move in
favourable way. Bearings, arms, etc., absorb some of the energy. There
is a limit to what they can take. That limit is much lower than what
solid stat electronics can take.

In the last ten years of so it is remarkable how robust and reliable
small electromechanical systems have become. They simply are not as
reliable as a solid state piece of electronics as simple as a flash card.

In common use, the disk drives will likely last most people a long time,
and so represent a lower cost alternative. OTOH, high capacity flash
cards are very affordable, so that's my choice to reduce the risk of
loss as much as possible.

Cheers,
Alan.

March 6, 2005 5:00:31 PM

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 12:00:13 -0500, Alan Browne
<alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:

>In the last ten years of so it is remarkable how robust and reliable
>small electromechanical systems have become. They simply are not as
>reliable as a solid state piece of electronics as simple as a flash card.
>
>In common use, the disk drives will likely last most people a long time,
>and so represent a lower cost alternative. OTOH, high capacity flash
>cards are very affordable, so that's my choice to reduce the risk of
>loss as much as possible.

I agree 100%. We had a bunch of the IBM microdrives and none of them
lasted a full year. Most of them were ruined by being ejected from a
PCMCIA slot and falling about 12 inches to a desktop.
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 8:38:31 PM

> I currently have a Minolta 35mm camera with 4 AF lenses.
> I had planned on buying the Minolta Maxxum 7D for the anti-shake and
> lens compatibility values.
> However, I have also been considering the Nikon D70 package that comes
> with 2 lenses...the price of the Nikon package and the Minolta 7D
> (body only) are pretty close.
>
> Now I realise there are people out there that swear by Nikon and
> others by Minolta (among other brands) but for me, it's becoming a
> toss-up between these 2 cameras.
>
> Any opinions to help me reach a decision would be appreciated.

I would go with the 7D. The 7D is more in the "prosumer" class of the Canon
20D, while the Nikon D70 is more in the amateur class.

The 7D has mirror lock-up, an available vertical grip, and better noise
characteristics at ISO 800. Of course at a net cost of around $1300*, it is
also about $500 more expensive for body only!

*Amazon has a $100 promotional certificate on purchases in Electronics over
$1000 right now (when I got my 20D is was $150). Plus you can get another
$75 off if you open an Amazon Visa account ($30 credit, plus 3% in gift
certificates ($45) later). http://tinylink.com/?ZDCe88SJYL
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 2:47:19 PM

Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:
> andrew29@littlepinkcloud.invalid wrote:

>> Alan Browne- <alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:

>>>My opinion is don't risk it. Moving parts are simply more likely to
>>>fail.
>>
>> But they're only moving when they're in the camera.
>>
>>>Shock figures are very misleading. High g numbers should not be
>>>taken as a high resistance to shock in all cases. Shock tests are
>>>usually done in a way where a lot of surface is involved in the
>>>collision. The same object dropped on a corner experiences much
>>>higher shock and will more likely fail.
>>
>> But exactly the same is true of solid state CF cards.

> Those moving parts tend to move when shocked. They might not move
> in favourable way. Bearings, arms, etc., absorb some of the energy.
> There is a limit to what they can take.

But the moving parts are locked down while the card is outside the
camera. So, there's no reason to assume that if a card is dropped
such moving parts will take more of the energy.

What you are saying is intuitively true, but it may not be actually
true.

Andrew.
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 2:47:20 PM

andrew29@littlepinkcloud.invalid wrote:

> But the moving parts are locked down while the card is outside the
> camera. So, there's no reason to assume that if a card is dropped
> such moving parts will take more of the energy.

"Locked down"? By what? more moving parts perhaps?

> What you are saying is intuitively true, but it may not be actually
> true.

I'm prepared to find out I'm wrong, but 20+ years in an industry where
MTBF is a strong driver says solid state is very reliable,
electromechanical is not as reliable by far.

Cheers,
Alan

March 7, 2005 10:43:33 PM

Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:
> andrew29@littlepinkcloud.invalid wrote:

>> But the moving parts are locked down while the card is outside the
>> camera. So, there's no reason to assume that if a card is dropped
>> such moving parts will take more of the energy.

> "Locked down"? By what? more moving parts perhaps?

Solenoids, I suspect.

>> What you are saying is intuitively true, but it may not be actually
>> true.

> I'm prepared to find out I'm wrong, but 20+ years in an industry
> where MTBF is a strong driver says solid state is very reliable,
> electromechanical is not as reliable by far.

In general it surely is true to say that the fewer moving parts the
better. However, it's hard to justify without actual tests claims
that microdrives, when subjected to idential shock, will always fail
first. It might be true, or it might not be. It depends on how well
the engineering has been done in both cases.

Andrew.
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 10:43:34 PM

In article <112pbn5nnoulba@news.supernews.com>,
<andrew29@littlepinkcloud.invalid> wrote:
>Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:
>> andrew29@littlepinkcloud.invalid wrote:
>
>>> But the moving parts are locked down while the card is outside the
>>> camera. So, there's no reason to assume that if a card is dropped
>>> such moving parts will take more of the energy.
>
>> "Locked down"? By what? more moving parts perhaps?
>
>Solenoids, I suspect.

Actually -- more likely to be spring-loaded pawls which are
*disengaged* by solenoids once the drive is powered up.

Depending on the angle at which the impact is delivered, the
acceleration could actuate the pawl just as the solenoid does to unlock
the head assembly. (Unless there was very careful design such that the
acceleration direction to unlock the pawl would also serve to hold the
heads in position.

But even with locked heads, an acceleration parallel to the
spindle would tend to bounce the heads off the platter surface (yes --
in a parking zone -- but it could still fracture the heads, which tend
to be ceramics and ferrites -- hard but quite brittle.

>>> What you are saying is intuitively true, but it may not be actually
>>> true.
>
>> I'm prepared to find out I'm wrong, but 20+ years in an industry
>> where MTBF is a strong driver says solid state is very reliable,
>> electromechanical is not as reliable by far.
>
>In general it surely is true to say that the fewer moving parts the
>better. However, it's hard to justify without actual tests claims
>that microdrives, when subjected to idential shock, will always fail
>first. It might be true, or it might not be. It depends on how well
>the engineering has been done in both cases.

I would certainly be surprised to discover that the rotating
platter drives were as shock-hardened on all axes as the flash cards on
all axes. And you know that Murphy's Law says that if it is dropped, it
will land in the orientation which is most likely to do damage.

Enjoy,
DoN.
March 7, 2005 10:50:37 PM

andrew29@littlepinkcloud.invalid wrote:

> first. It might be true, or it might not be. It depends on how well
> the engineering has been done in both cases.

See McLeod's reply.

I personally have never heard of anyone having flash card fail. I've
heard of a couple microdrives failing + McLeod's 'bunch'.

If it pleases you to get microdrives, go ahead. To me it is obviously
riksier to do so.

Cheers,
Alan

March 8, 2005 1:38:49 AM

In article <d0issd$nc8$2@inews.gazeta.pl>,

[ ... ]

>If it pleases you to get microdrives, go ahead. To me it is obviously
>riksier to do so.

And another consideration is that the Nikon D70 will not update
its firmware from a microdrive. It *must* be a Flash Card. So -- if
you have a D70, you will need at least *one* flash card -- large enough
to hold the firmware updates, even if you use microdrives for everything
else. This could be a quite old one -- perhaps 8mb or so would probably
suffice.

Enjoy,
DoN.

March 8, 2005 2:06:03 AM

DoN. Nichols wrote:

> And another consideration is that the Nikon D70 will not update
> its firmware from a microdrive. It *must* be a Flash Card. So -- if
> you have a D70, you will need at least *one* flash card -- large enough
> to hold the firmware updates, even if you use microdrives for everything
> else. This could be a quite old one -- perhaps 8mb or so would probably
> suffice.

Well, just bought the 7D and given a few tests, it's quite
satisfactory... see my "did it" posts and various links in the series of
posts as the thread meanders.

(Flash, not microdrive...)

Cheers,
Alan

March 8, 2005 5:50:56 AM

Alan Browne wrote:
> DoN. Nichols wrote:
>>

>> And another consideration is that the Nikon D70 will not update
>> its firmware from a microdrive. It *must* be a Flash Card. So -- if
>> you have a D70, you will need at least *one* flash card -- large
>> enough to hold the firmware updates, even if you use microdrives for
>> everything else. This could be a quite old one -- perhaps 8mb or so
>> would probably suffice.
>
> Well, just bought the 7D and given a few tests, it's quite
> satisfactory... see my "did it" posts and various links in the series
> of posts as the thread meanders.
>
> (Flash, not microdrive...)

Just a note on firmware updates with the Maxxum 7D - I did it with a
Hitachi 4GB microdrive with no problems. I have two of them (
microdrives, not 7Ds), and no problems at all in the whole almost four
months since I got 'em.

Wish I could say the same for the 'Bigma' 50-500 I got in December;
shipping it back for a warranty repair tomorrow 'cuz its autofocus
linkage un-linkaged. I sure hope it's a one-time fluke and not a 10
week MTBF...

Bob ^,,^
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 2:52:50 AM

andrew29@littlepinkcloud.invalid wrote:
> Alan Browne- <alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:
>
>>stator wrote:
>>
>>>I'm looking forward to getting it.
>>>I was going to order this 2.2gb microdrive from Tigerdirect.ca. It's
>

>>My opinion is don't risk it. Moving parts are simply more likely to
>>fail.
>

> But they're only moving when they're in the camera.
>

>>Shock figures are very misleading. High g numbers should not be
>>taken as a high resistance to shock in all cases. Shock tests are
>>usually done in a way where a lot of surface is involved in the
>>collision. The same object dropped on a corner experiences much
>>higher shock and will more likely fail.
>

> But exactly the same is true of solid state CF cards.
>
> Andrew.
Hi,
My daughter travelled the world over with her Canon digital camera and
1GB micro drives. So far no problem since new. Now she is using them on
D70. She left for Thailand for the summer yersterday.
Tony
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 2:56:50 AM

Alan Browne wrote:
> andrew29@littlepinkcloud.invalid wrote:
>
>> But the moving parts are locked down while the card is outside the
>> camera. So, there's no reason to assume that if a card is dropped
>> such moving parts will take more of the energy.
>

> "Locked down"? By what? more moving parts perhaps?
>

>> What you are saying is intuitively true, but it may not be actually
>> true.
>

> I'm prepared to find out I'm wrong, but 20+ years in an industry where
> MTBF is a strong driver says solid state is very reliable,
> electromechanical is not as reliable by far.
>
> Cheers,
> Alan

Hi, Alan
I spent all my life in mil-spec gears. You can build a drive which will
survive 4000 feet free fall from flying helicopter. Don't be so nervous.
So how many hard drive crash have you experienced in your PC or laptop?,
LOL. I take you'll never go bungee jumping either.
Tony
!