Avoiding Electric static discharge

huanwu26

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012
Hi I'm upgrading my rig to a more gaming focus one and I was wondering will a antistatic wrist band be enough to do away with the worry of Electric static discharge (ESD). I doing this during the up coming thanksgiving week or during December. Since winter and fall are infamous for ESD. I was wondering will a antistatic wrist strap be enough to do away with the worry of ESD. I planning to do the build on the concrete floor of my laundry room or the wooden floor the living or wooden table of my living room.

Solution

As long as it is connected to another object that is grounded, it will dissipate any static electricity that has built up on you.
When building, have the PSU in the case and plugged into the wall (with the switch off), then clip the band to any exposed metal on the case. The band will carry any charge from you to the case, then through the PSU, then into the wall socket's grounding pin and then to Earth.

As well as this there are some other precautions. Build the machine on a non-conductive surface (wooden table, a stone bench even cardboard are all good surfaces), don't stand on carpet when building and be barefoot or...

huanwu26

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah that is a problem but does a antistatic band do away with the worry about static electricity discharge?

As long as it is connected to another object that is grounded, it will dissipate any static electricity that has built up on you.
When building, have the PSU in the case and plugged into the wall (with the switch off), then clip the band to any exposed metal on the case. The band will carry any charge from you to the case, then through the PSU, then into the wall socket's grounding pin and then to Earth.

As well as this there are some other precautions. Build the machine on a non-conductive surface (wooden table, a stone bench even cardboard are all good surfaces), don't stand on carpet when building and be barefoot or have shoes on. Also don't touch the gold pins/plates on the RAM or bottom of the CPU.
If you follow those, you have nothing to worry about static wise.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS