auron22

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
Hey, I'm new here but figured I'd ask this here to get some decent answers. Would greatly appreciate help as I'm not to sure what I'm doing lol. Anyway, my PC specs are;

Amd Anthlon II Dual Core 255 Processor, MMX, 3D Now, (2 CPU's) - 3.1Ghz
2 GB Ram DDR3
ATI Radeon 5500 HD 1GB (Which overclock mode is turned on, but I left the Mhz and stuff alone as I don't know what I'm doing)
Power supply is Corsair CX430 Watt.
I have this other thing on my motherboard, Dunno what it is but it's a cool shiny blue thing called Gigabyte Turbo 3D
Running on an LCD Moniter 1980x1080

I have had some people say it's not very good, but I can run a lot of games, just not with everything maxed (like Shadows / Post Processing effects). Anyway, I am playing Guild Wars 2 right now, and I can run that mostly on High graphics, with about 30ish FPS. However in event's (loads of people and things going on) it refuses to go above 12 fps.

If you need to know anything else let me know, but that should give you a solid Idea of what I'm using right now. I Have already ordered a Graphics Card and GB ram sticks, (just waiting), they are;
XFX ATI Radeon 6770 1GB GDDR5.
PKR 4GB RAM Stick DDR3 x2.

I just want to know will this help my computer a lot? Also, I heard the 6770 requiers a Watt of 500, but I have also heard the CX (my power supply) is a good brand and 430 Watt would be enough, so will it? thanks in Advance.

I think you probably did OK with your upgrade.
But, for the future, it is better to ask advice BEFORE you buy. If there is a problem, you want to be able to correct it before you spend your money.

Many ask if a gpu or cpu upgrade is more useful.

I suggest these two tests:

a) Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely cpu limited.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 50%.
This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.

Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
set to 50% and see how you do.

If your FPS drops significantly, it is an indicator that your cpu is the limiting factor, and a cpu upgrade is in order.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system, and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.

auron22

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012

Hey, and yes when I do turn down some of the settings during games, my FPS does increase, so I'm guessing my CPU is fine for now, I just had my mind set on Graphics Card / RAM, as everything else seems to be intact, just my RAM is so low, and my graphics card is old now.