Sign in with
Your question

Crossfire on Sapphire 6870 vapor X 2 GB

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 7, 2012 8:14:19 PM

Hi everyone. I have this card for almost 2 years I guess. My system is as follows :
MB P5Q pro turbo
CPU Q6600 @ 2,4 (FACTORY settings)
4 GB ram (1 x 4 - 1033)
HD 6870 VAPOR X 2GB

I can actually play everything I need, which is pretty much of the time BF2 in project reality MOD. eventually some COD MW3 or BF Bad company 2 or BF3.
As much as I can remember, everything is max out, and I might get some minor slow downs eventually , but doesn't impact on the overall enjoyability, even on MP.
I have been looking to buy a new or even used 6870 vapor x 2gb to cross fire with mine for even better performance and future use, but even sapphire told me they could not help, since its out of the market for a while.
So, can I just buy a XFX 6870 2 GB and crossfire it with mine ? I even found some vapors 1 GB. Would it be any good for me ?
Please guys , any experience on this would help a lot.
Thanks in advance
September 7, 2012 8:23:02 PM

You can cross it with any 6850 or 6870 1 or 2 gb model ,any manufacturer..i would go with a 2 gb since thats what you have already..
m
l
a c 198 U Graphics card
September 7, 2012 8:23:49 PM

What power supply are you running? What resolution?
m
l
Related resources
September 7, 2012 8:25:15 PM

you'll be okay with the XFX 6870 2GB card, if one happens to be factory OC faster then the other by a couple Mhz they'll both just run at the slower speed. so if ones a 910Mhz and the other is 950Mhz they'll both run at 910Mhz. if you Bought a 1 GB card, be it a vapor x or otherwise) your CF config would run with only 1GB of memory instead of 2GB!

so make sure you get a 2GB!
m
l
September 7, 2012 8:36:51 PM

I have an OCZGXS 850. I usually put resolution to its max. Its 1920x1200 in desktop. If I'm not wrong I play some games at 2500 x something.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 7, 2012 8:54:22 PM

Dude it's oc time on that Q6600 bigtime of you hope to enjoy that crossfire because you will be cpu bound in a terrible way.
m
l
September 8, 2012 2:12:44 AM

Well, I had Donne some 3 GHz overclock that made some difference only in bad company 2 and some in cry sis too. As I live in Brazil and room temperature would get to 25- 30 degrees Celsius, I don't feel comfortable operating in over clock all the time. I use PC for the last 18 years and since we first had access to voodoo (the old 3dfx boards, that started video acceleration) I have always Donne right holding the CPU for more time than would be expected , because for playing games the video power is the main bottleneck in most situations. I have had this same CPU since my log gforce8800 gt. When I charged to 6870, I had no limits to whatever was on the market. When arms 3 come , I will probably try to change my system. If you think right, I have to change every piece of my system since I have DDR2. I'll need CPU , memory and mobo. And by the time , why not say another VGA as well. Thinking in this way I might even not do the crossfire now because the VGA might be out of date than. Let's see.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2012 11:43:11 AM

A large cpu cooler could take you to 3.2 or more if you are lucky,

In toronto canada during the summer I have to drop my oc's in half if not completely due to humidity
sounds weird but yeah it gets super hot here in the summer 40 C or more with humidity
m
l
!