Sign in with
Your question

Asus Gtx680 2GB Vs. Zotac Gtx 680 4GB Version

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 7, 2012 9:02:40 PM

Hi Guys. :hello: 
I'm new here and I could really use some help. :bounce: 
I have a Asus Gtx560 Ti. and I'm thinking of upgrading to GTX680 now the problem is i don't know what to get

ASUS GTX 680 DirectCU 2GB II :-

http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/GTX680...

OR

ZOTAC GeForce GTX 680 4GB :-

http://www.zotacusa.com/geforce-gtx-680-zt-60103-10p.ht...

I just don't really like the sound of Zotac inside of my Rig though it's a 4GB version.
Let me guys know what you think.

Your help is appreciated :) 
September 7, 2012 9:08:57 PM

The question of which card really comes down to how many monitors / what resolution are you gaming at, and are you planing on using SLI?

If you are at 1920x1200 or less, stick with the 2GB card.

If you are using (or planing to use) two or more 1080p monitors and plan on doing SLI, then you will want to get the 4GB card
m
l
September 7, 2012 9:14:56 PM

I'm gaming at 24" that's 1920x1080..I'm using dual monitors 2x24" and i don't think i would be doing SLI.
But what matters to me is the quality of the product then the performance.
I'm a video editor, i work on premiere, After effects, 3ds max, that's what got me thinking that maybe more memory would help me.
m
l
Related resources
September 7, 2012 9:25:14 PM

More video memory won't help unless you are using some seriously gpgpu intensive applications, and I can't think of any that require more than 2GB of ram.

Gaming on a single screen, I would recommend just sticking with the 2GB card, but the 4GB card is only about $50 more. If you were planing on using a third screen at any time (I recommend it, its awesome) then go with the 4GB card.

Both products are great quality as nVidia only has 4 or 5 manufacturers that are allowed to use 680 chips.
m
l
September 7, 2012 9:41:34 PM

"GPU intensive applications" that sounds interesting, like what?
Since you've cleared that "Both products are great quality" i think i would be going with Zotac BUT, the Zotac is pretty similar to the reference card witch makes me think about the cooling, i mean should i be worried?
m
l
September 7, 2012 10:13:47 PM

GPU intensive applications that are privately available won't use more than 2GB, things like bitcoin mining, folding, etc. The applications that need massively parallel computing and use lots of ram are mostly database applications, and are designed for use with Tesla cards. Then again the 6xx series are worse at GPGPU than the 5xx series, and worse than AMD cards by a large margin.

As for cooling, if you aren't overclocking the reference design is fine as long as you have a large enough case to let it breath. ASUS does a great job with their coolers though, so if you are thinking of overclocking or you have a smaller or crowded case, then that's a point for the ASUS side.

Weigh out the pros / cons and see if its worth the $50 extra for 4GB. In the end there isn't much of a difference for most users unless you are working with SLI and/or gaming on 3+ monitors.

Happy computing. :) 
m
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
September 7, 2012 10:30:25 PM

Also, be aware that that ASUS card is a 3 slot card. It's quite massive, and may limit your ability to ever SLI with it.
m
l
September 7, 2012 10:30:34 PM

What is GPGPU please?

I have NZXT Phantom, that's great cooling case with enough space for my dog to take a nap in lol..

money isn't a big concern, and there's a big chance I'm getting my third monitor since the new 6xx series have the new surround feature, but man you got me thinking when said that its worse than amd and the 5xx series, can you please tell me what you mean by that.

Thanks for your time :) 

m
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
September 7, 2012 10:36:51 PM

redcode said:
What is GPGPU please?

I have NZXT Phantom, that's great cooling case with enough space for my dog to take a nap in lol..

money isn't a big concern, and there's a big chance I'm getting my third monitor since the new 6xx series have the new surround feature, but man you got me thinking when said that its worse than amd and the 5xx series, can you please tell me what you mean by that.

Thanks for your time :) 

GPGPU is general purpose computing on a graphics processing unit. It basically takes advantage of the massive parallel processing abilities of a GPU for things other than video.

The size of the case is not the issue when it comes to the 3 slot card and SLI. It's the space between slots. In order for it to breath, you need 4 slots between it and another card, and that is rarely available on motherboards, and just as rare to have the slots spaces on the back of the case.
m
l
September 7, 2012 10:46:35 PM

Hi bystander, thanks for joining us.

What i should understand from dalethepcman is that 5xx and AMD better than 6xx because of GPGPU, how is that possible? as far as i know nvidia just keeps producing better cards, 4xx series..5xx series and now 6xx..??

and about SLI, i can't do that because of my Asus p7p55d won't let me since it does just support Crossfire. though it would be nice, but no.(waste of money)

m
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
September 7, 2012 10:51:46 PM

redcode said:

What i should understand from dalethepcman is that 5xx and AMD better than 6xx because of GPGPU, how is that possible? as far as i know nvidia just keeps producing better cards, 4xx series..5xx series and now 6xx..??

and about SLI, i can't do that because of my Asus p7p55d won't let me since it does just support Crossfire. though it would be nice, but no.(waste of money)

The reason AMD does better in GPGPU computing, at least when using open standards like OpenCL and DirectCompute, is because Nvidia stripped those abilities from their gaming cards. AMD cards are massively faster at those types of computing. However, Nvidia does have Cuda, which is a form of GPGPU computing, though proprietary, they do have some support, and when Cuda is supported, the Nvidia cards do just about as well as AMD's offerings.

For gaming purposes, this is not an issue, but for Bitcoin mining and some non gaming tasks, it is huge.
m
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
September 7, 2012 10:52:53 PM

redcode said:

nvidia designed the 600 series to be almost purely gamer based, and stripped a chunk of its compute power away. designing chips in a different way can result in changes in performace(for example, compare phenoms to bulldozer, bulldozer has increased productivity rate in non gaming applications, but took a hit in gaming.)
m
l
September 7, 2012 11:08:54 PM

Before i decided to go with Nvidia i considered..

Asus HD 7970 3GB :-
http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/AMD_Series/HD7970DC2...

Because of the 3GB memory.. then i've took a look over Nvidia's cards, and since they have Cuda(Cuda is very important because i render like 10 hours video that's every day) and Physx and a card with 4gb Memory, i said hell with ATI what i was thinking. Now you guys missed my mind with GPGPU thing witch i'm not fully undertood, i just need you to point me to the right card since that's the reason i've signed up lol.
Thanks in advance :) 
m
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
September 7, 2012 11:11:05 PM

If the video rendering uses Cuda, and you don't do other GPGPU stuff, then don't worry about it, just go for the GTX 680 or 670 if you want to save a bit of money. You'll be happy with it. Most people don't use the GPGPU to much use, but it is important if you do.
m
l
September 7, 2012 11:15:41 PM

Lol still don't really know what GPGPU means.. ok you tell me..

I do Adobe Premiere, After effects, 3ds max and a lot of hardcore gaming..
do i use GPGPU ?
m
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
September 7, 2012 11:18:18 PM

redcode said:
Lol still don't really know what GPGPU means.. ok you tell me..

I do Adobe Premiere, After effects, 3ds max and a lot of hardcore gaming..
do i use GPGPU ?

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=58195

albeit old, it gets us somewhere
m
l
!