Is this a good gaming pc?

Hello, I'm undergoing the process of building my own PC, designed for gaming, I have a list and want some input on it, and if you could suggest better parts that won't flatten my wallet more than it's going to be. Here is the list.
MOTHERBOARD|ASUS MAXIMUS V FORMULA/THUNDERFX:$626.99
PROCESSOR|I7-2600KBX:together ^
VIDEO CARD|asus gtx 580:$531
HDD|1.5tb WD caviar black:$159.99
RAM|G.skill Ripjaws ddr3ram 16gb:$78.97
FAN|NOCTUA 6 DUAL HEATPIPE W/140MM/12MM DUAL SSO BEARING FANS CPU COOLER(NH-D14):$79.95
CASE|CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 800D:$255 OR AEROCOOL SYCLONE II:$110
POWER|CORSAIR PRO SERIES AX850:$187.63
15 answers Last reply
More about good gaming
  1. ps. I have no Idea what I'm doing, when it comes to computers I'm decent with them but never thought about taking on the task of making one.
  2. get a 7870 same performance lesser price tag ($240) lower power consumption other than that its gonna be a beast
    But if you must spend 500 dollars on a gpu get a 7970 vapor x or 680 classified
  3. I would cut your budget almost in half; I saw another poster trying to sell a similar system in the classifieds and he was facing a $700 loss. Here's my recommendations:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115233 $200 after rebate
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131826 $100 after rebate
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202004 $165 after rebate
    Case: Go with the aerocool at $110
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371052 $90 after rebate
    Gskill ripjaws is what I use $78.97
    Noctua cpu cooler $79.95
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148321 $80
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167121 (boot device) $97.98

    I recommend a retail boxed drive no matter what brand you choose. They have more protective packaging and tend to have a lower failure rate than bare drives.
  4. o1die the 7850 offers 570 performance at a much lower price 169.99-229.99 @newegg
  5. Glad you highlighted the 7850 price advantage. I linked a sapphire 7850 in my recommendations.
  6. oh my mistake must have missed that one.
  7. every1 is talking about the expensive gpu he is buying
    but yet not one of you mention about the the 600+ he is putting on the motherboard?
    do you have a reason for buying such a expensive board other than for gaming?
    because there are boards for half the price with more features then your ever going to need (or understand)
    take a look on these articles from toms... they may be very enlightening
    Six $220-280 Z77 Express-Based Motherboards, Reviewed
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z77x-up5-th-z77a-gd80-z77-oc-formula,3305.html
    Six $160-220 Z77 Motherboards, Benchmarked And Reviewed
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z77-extreme6-z77a-gd65-z77h2-a2x,3187.html
    Seven Sub-$160 Z77 Express Motherboards, Reviewed
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z77-express-ivy-bridge-benchmark,3254.html
  8. Thanks for the input everybody I'm looking at everything right now, @tomate2 Well from what I've heard, and asked around other than here of course (which seems more reliable than anywhere else) everyone said to get the Asus V formula, I'm thinking of getting the asus sabertooth x58. Also the price for the motherboard includes the I7 processor, Here's the link it's the third one.
    http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-MAX5FTX
  9. flgt12 said:
    get a 7870 same performance lesser price tag ($240) lower power consumption other than that its gonna be a beast
    But if you must spend 500 dollars on a gpu get a 7970 vapor x or 680 classified

    The AMD Radeon HD 7870?
  10. o1die said:
    I would cut your budget almost in half; I saw another poster trying to sell a similar system in the classifieds and he was facing a $700 loss. Here's my recommendations:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115233 $200 after rebate
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131826 $100 after rebate
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202004 $165 after rebate
    Case: Go with the aerocool at $110
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371052 $90 after rebate
    Gskill ripjaws is what I use $78.97
    Noctua cpu cooler $79.95
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148321 $80
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167121 (boot device) $97.98

    I recommend a retail boxed drive no matter what brand you choose. They have more protective packaging and tend to have a lower failure rate than bare drives.

    Will I still be able to run game's on high with most of this stuff? I'm glad I came here everyone else was like "dude go get this right now, why are you not ordering it".
  11. So my new and improved (I'm hoping) list goes as follows.
    RAM|G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb:$78.97
    CASE|AEROCOOL SYCLONE II:$110
    FAN| NOCTUA CPU COOLER: $79.95
    ______________________________
    CPU|Intel Core i5-3570 Ivy Bridge:$214.99 $15 off with promocode HARCOP1X31F
    MOTHERBOARD 1| ASUS P8H77-V:$119.99 $99 AFTER $20.00 REBATER CARD
    GPU| SAPPHIRE RADEON HD 7850 1GB:$179.99 $164.99 AFTER $15.00 REBATE ALSO LIMITED OFFER Free far cry 3 and MOH warfighter with purchase
    POWER|ANTEC HCP-750:$129.99 $89.99 AFTER $40.00 REBATE CARD
    HDD|Seagate ST310005N1A1AS-RK BARRACUDA 1TB INTERHNAL HARD DRIVE:$79.99
    SSD|Intel 330 Series Maple Crest 120GB ssd:$97.99

    Any bigger better HDD out there for relatively cheap, Or can I put two of these Seagates together in one comp.

    *Note* The reason I have a 1 next to the motherboard is because I'm not sure if I want that one I'm thinking of the Asus Sabertooth x-58.
  12. fluffytubesocks said:
    So my new and improved (I'm hoping) list goes as follows.
    RAM|G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb:$78.97
    CASE|AEROCOOL SYCLONE II:$110
    FAN| NOCTUA CPU COOLER: $79.95
    ______________________________
    CPU|Intel Core i5-3570 Ivy Bridge:$214.99 $15 off with promocode HARCOP1X31F
    MOTHERBOARD 1| ASUS P8H77-V:$119.99 $99 AFTER $20.00 REBATER CARD
    GPU| SAPPHIRE RADEON HD 7850 1GB:$179.99 $164.99 AFTER $15.00 REBATE ALSO LIMITED OFFER Free far cry 3 and MOH warfighter with purchase
    POWER|ANTEC HCP-750:$129.99 $89.99 AFTER $40.00 REBATE CARD
    HDD|Seagate ST310005N1A1AS-RK BARRACUDA 1TB INTERHNAL HARD DRIVE:$79.99
    SSD|Intel 330 Series Maple Crest 120GB ssd:$97.99

    Any bigger better HDD out there for relatively cheap, Or can I put two of these Seagates together in one comp.

    *Note* The reason I have a 1 next to the motherboard is because I'm not sure if I want that one I'm thinking of the Asus Sabertooth x-58.



    Just considering what you were originally going to spend on the whole rig I would think about upgrading the gpu to a 7870 or 7950 (both currently come with free games as well) as opposed to the 7850. Not that the 7850 is bad but if you were going to spend so much before then might as well go for a gpu that will be more capable of keeping up with the 3570 cpu, if you see fit. Also, & it's just personal preference but I would get the Corsair TX750 ($99.99 after rebate on Newegg). I personally have a TX750 & it's been a very dependable psu.
  13. What about Sound cards or Optical drives?
  14. fluffytubesocks said:
    Thanks for the input everybody I'm looking at everything right now, @tomate2 Well from what I've heard, and asked around other than here of course (which seems more reliable than anywhere else) everyone said to get the Asus V formula, I'm thinking of getting the asus sabertooth x58. Also the price for the motherboard includes the I7 processor, Here's the link it's the third one.
    http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-MAX5FTX


    I went ahead and checked your motherboard on newegg. It said it was around 300 dollars and not 600 so not sure if its the same board we are talking about, but Id say 300 is a lot more reasonable then 600.
  15. tomate2 said:
    I went ahead and checked your motherboard on newegg. It said it was around 300 dollars and not 600 so not sure if its the same board we are talking about, but Id say 300 is a lot more reasonable then 600.

    The $600 includes the motherboard and the i7 Processor.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Gaming Systems Product