Supernatural Ties/Paradox - answered my own question

A few months ago I posted a question asking if a munchkiny mage with
supernatural ties (ie. ghoul or kinfolk) could coincidentally embrace
someone or turn them into a horror movie werewolf with a bite. Having just
read the Mage Storytellers Handbook I know that the answers are no and yes
respectively (provided your storyteller allows this optional rule). A person
with the appropriate supernatural link can use a supernatural ability
coincidentally if 1). the mythology of the critter says it has that power
and 2.) the critter actually does have that power. Thus a ghoul mage
actually could coincidentally embrace people (because both myth and reality
are similar) while a kinfolk mage could not make werewolves (because
although the myths say you can make new werewolves with a bite the reality
is different).

-Essex

I do wonder if the medium merit is enough to allow you to use certain
ghostly powers coincidentally.

On Mon, 31 May 2004 16:55:40 -0400, "Essex"
<mopperma@suffolk.lib.ny.us> wrote:

>-Essex
>
>I do wonder if the medium merit is enough to allow you to use certain
>ghostly powers coincidentally.

Poltergeist activity is a well known mythic thread. But bear in mind
that it doesn't include effective combat telekinesis or anything
like that. There are no reports of poltergeists actually using
objects to effectively hurt someone.

"David Johnston" <rgormannospam@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 31 May 2004 16:55:40 -0400, "Essex"
> <mopperma@suffolk.lib.ny.us> wrote:
> >
> >-Essex
> >
> >I do wonder if the medium merit is enough to allow you to use certain
> >ghostly powers coincidentally.
>
> Poltergeist activity is a well known mythic thread. But bear in mind
> that it doesn't include effective combat telekinesis or anything
> like that. There are no reports of poltergeists actually using
> objects to effectively hurt someone.

Perhaps, but the ability to make walls bleed coincidentally is just so
diabolically tempting.

-Essex

rgormannospam@telusplanet.net (David Johnston) wrote in message news:<40bc3ccc.60247304@news.telusplanet.net>...
> On Mon, 31 May 2004 16:55:40 -0400, "Essex"
> <mopperma@suffolk.lib.ny.us> wrote:
> >
> >-Essex
> >
> >I do wonder if the medium merit is enough to allow you to use certain
> >ghostly powers coincidentally.
>
> Poltergeist activity is a well known mythic thread. But bear in mind
> that it doesn't include effective combat telekinesis or anything
> like that. There are no reports of poltergeists actually using
> objects to effectively hurt someone.

I'm sure ther are myths and urban legends out there somewhere, even if
they are half remembered movies. More likely, though, its the ability
to scare someone to death and suc, since the dead guy with the
terrified expression is a staple of ghost stories.

M.

"Malcolm Sheppard" <usiel@vampirethemasquerade.com> wrote in message
> rgormannospam@telusplanet.net (David Johnston) wrote in message
> > On Mon, 31 May 2004 16:55:40 -0400, "Essex"
> > <mopperma@suffolk.lib.ny.us> wrote:
> > >
> > >-Essex
> > >
> > >I do wonder if the medium merit is enough to allow you to use certain
> > >ghostly powers coincidentally.
> >
> > Poltergeist activity is a well known mythic thread. But bear in mind
> > that it doesn't include effective combat telekinesis or anything
> > like that. There are no reports of poltergeists actually using
> > objects to effectively hurt someone.
>
> I'm sure ther are myths and urban legends out there somewhere, even if
> they are half remembered movies. More likely, though, its the ability
> to scare someone to death and suc, since the dead guy with the
> terrified expression is a staple of ghost stories.

I'd allow scaring someone to death as a coincidental effect even without the
supernatural tie, if the character put sufficient effort into setting the
scene - it *is* something that's possible to do even in mundane reality.

- David Prokopetz.

> I'm sure ther are myths and urban legends out there somewhere, even if
> they are half remembered movies. More likely, though, its the ability
> to scare someone to death and suc, since the dead guy with the
> terrified expression is a staple of ghost stories.

Sa-Da-Ko...

;)

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 22:47:46 -0600, "David Prokopetz"
<sirbob@penguinking.com> wrote:

>"Malcolm Sheppard" <usiel@vampirethemasquerade.com> wrote in message
>> rgormannospam@telusplanet.net (David Johnston) wrote in message

>> > Poltergeist activity is a well known mythic thread. But bear in mind
>> > that it doesn't include effective combat telekinesis or anything
>> > like that. There are no reports of poltergeists actually using
>> > objects to effectively hurt someone.
>>
>> I'm sure ther are myths and urban legends out there somewhere, even if
>> they are half remembered movies. More likely, though, its the ability
>> to scare someone to death and suc, since the dead guy with the
>> terrified expression is a staple of ghost stories.
>
>I'd allow scaring someone to death as a coincidental effect even without the
>supernatural tie, if the character put sufficient effort into setting the
>scene - it *is* something that's possible to do even in mundane reality.

Yes, for our UK viewers, one of these days Derek is going to do that
to poor Yvette on Most Haunted Live. I think it might take a little
time to really set the scene properly, but it could be done.

Especially if a subsequent medical exam found that the victim had a
weak heart all along.

Cheers,

Charlie