Scrapgoat

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
I am building a Gaming Computer (Specs Below) and I was wondering what graphics card I should use. Im thinking about the AMD Radeon 7950 but im still not sure. I will be gaming on a single 1080p screen with high settings. Thanks for the help

P.S. If there is any change to the build you can think of please let me know :)

Intel Core i5-3570k CPU

Cooler Master Hyper 212+ CPU Cooler

Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H Motherboard

??? Graphics Card ???

2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3 RAM

128GB Samsung 830 SSD

2TB Western Digital Caviar Green HDD

Corsair TX750M Modular PSU

HAF 922 Mid Tower Case

Asus DVD Burner

Windows 7 Home Premium

I recommend against anything from CM (regardless of quality) because the company has been proven in competent technical reviews to be dishonest.
Xigmatek, Corsair, and Noctua are among other good cooler manufacturers, and Rosewill, Antec, Corsair, and Lian Li are among the good case manufacturers.
Otherwise, a 650W PSU will be sufficient for that build, unless you plan to add a second HD7950. If you need to save money, you may safely reduce the graphics card to a HD7870 and the PSU to 500W-550W. You will also find a single 2x4GB RAM kit to be sufficient.

locomoco321

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012
At 1080p gaming, a GTX 670 or 660Ti performs better than a Radeon HD 7950, and the 660 Ti is a few dollars less. Here take a look: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125440
Overclock the memory a bit (no problem on this card) and the performance will keep up with a Radeon 7970 or slightly less. Only at 2560x1600 resolution, do you start seeing the benefit of the 384-bit bus. The GTX 670 (some factory OC) are on par with the GTX 680 and beat the Radeon HD 7970, so if you willing to dish out the extra $100 over the 660 Ti, go for it. If you have settled on AMD, then the 7950 is a very solid card, especially with the new AMD drivers, and the clock updates AMD made to the 7950 making it a "7950v2" type of card.

Go for a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO instead of the plus as its newer and has direct contact heat pipes, increasing cooling performance. The rest of the build looks solid.

Happy Gaming!

In terms of cooling? I wouldn't agree with you until we started talking about power supplies. In which yes they suck. But my 212+ on my 2500K held its own while overclocked in the summer quite well, not going over 55C. I replaced it with a Corsair H60 because I got it for free.

Its being used on a Phenom II 1045T, and it works great.

I'll admit that some of their other stuff tends to be sub-par. Yet the 212 is a force to be reckoned with.

It is true that the Kepler cards perform a little better than their near AMD competitors in today's games, BUT...their compute performance is crippled, so if someone releases a killer game that uses OpenCL, the nVidia cards will choke in their own puke.
I'm maxing GW2 (a fairly demanding game when cranked) @1920x1080 with a HD7870. A HD7950 is a little stronger. I think they're good enough that there's no need to take the risk represented by a Kepler card.

My opposition to CM is not based on quality, but on the fact that the company has been proven to be dishonest, quite frankly to a degree that warrants prosecution for consumer fraud. That knocks them off my radar until they clean up their act.