  • Cameras
  • Systems
Last response: in Digital Camera
January 31, 2005 1:19:59 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

Just heard on Virgin Radio from England...

Q: What's the difference between a camera and a sock?

A: A camera takes photos and a sock takes five toes...

....hey, I don't write the stuff...

mike

More about : bad photography joke

Anonymous
January 31, 2005 1:20:00 PM

m II <C@In.The.Hat> writes:

> ...hey, I don't write the stuff...

I think you have to have a British dialect for it to work.

January 31, 2005 9:53:09 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

On 31 Jan 2005 10:16:35 -0800, Phil Stripling
<phil_stripling@cieux.zzn.com> wrote:

>m II <C@In.The.Hat> writes:
>
>> ...hey, I don't write the stuff...
>
>I think you have to have a British dialect for it to work.

...and an extremely wide latitude for humor.

--
Owamanga!
Related resources

Owamanga wrote:

> On 31 Jan 2005 10:16:35 -0800, Phil Stripling
> <phil_stripling@cieux.zzn.com> wrote:
>
> >m II <C@In.The.Hat> writes:
> >
> >> ...hey, I don't write the stuff...
> >
> >I think you have to have a British dialect for it to work.
>
> ..and an extremely wide latitude for humor.

I thought it was a little bit funny :)

Lisa
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 10:26:31 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:12:10 -0800, Lisa Horton
<Lisa091704@lisahorton.net> wrote:

>Owamanga wrote:
>>
>> On 31 Jan 2005 10:16:35 -0800, Phil Stripling
>> <phil_stripling@cieux.zzn.com> wrote:

>> >I think you have to have a British dialect for it to work.
>>
>> ..and an extremely wide latitude for humor.
>>

>I thought it was a little bit funny :)

What did the spastic say to his dog?

"Down syndrome!"

Now that's funny. It defines 'politically incorrect' of course, and
offends lots of people, but, let not that stand in the way of humor.

--
Owamanga!
Anonymous

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

In article <3qlla9tqf0.fsf@shell4.tdl.com>,
Phil Stripling <phil_stripling@cieux.zzn.com> wrote:
>m II <C@In.The.Hat> writes:
>
>> ...hey, I don't write the stuff...
>
>I think you have to have a British dialect for it to work.

I don't think so.

I'm not aware of any British dialect that pronounces "Four" as "Fo"

I'd say the reqired accent is probably closer to one from New Orleans.
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 11:48:14 PM

johnf@panix.com (John Francis) writes:

> I'm not aware of any British dialect that pronounces "Four" as "Fo"

Listen to the Beatles. :->
January 31, 2005 11:48:14 PM

"John Francis" <johnf@panix.com> wrote in message
> In article <3qlla9tqf0.fsf@shell4.tdl.com>,
> Phil Stripling <phil_stripling@cieux.zzn.com> wrote:
>>m II <C@In.The.Hat> writes:
>>
>>> ...hey, I don't write the stuff...
>>
>>I think you have to have a British dialect for it to work.
>
> I don't think so.
>
> I'm not aware of any British dialect that pronounces "Four" as "Fo"
>
> I'd say the reqired accent is probably closer to one from New Orleans.

New Orleans "poor". The finest English I have heard spoken here in the US is
by New Orleans upper class......
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 12:06:24 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

don't you mean narlins ?

bill

"John Francis" <johnf@panix.com> wrote in message
> In article <3qlla9tqf0.fsf@shell4.tdl.com>,
> Phil Stripling <phil_stripling@cieux.zzn.com> wrote:
> I don't think so.
>
> I'm not aware of any British dialect that pronounces "Four" as "Fo"
>
> I'd say the reqired accent is probably closer to one from New Orleans.

Anonymous
February 1, 2005 12:40:28 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 21:06:24 GMT, "bill a"
<custom4173@sbcglobalDOTnet.invalid> wrote:

>don't you mean narlins ?
>
>bill

Nawlins

>"John Francis" <johnf@panix.com> wrote in message
>> In article <3qlla9tqf0.fsf@shell4.tdl.com>,
>> Phil Stripling <phil_stripling@cieux.zzn.com> wrote:
>> I don't think so.
>>
>> I'm not aware of any British dialect that pronounces "Four" as "Fo"
>>
>> I'd say the reqired accent is probably closer to one from New Orleans.

Anonymous
February 1, 2005 12:40:29 AM

"ZONED!" <no_email@please_post.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 21:06:24 GMT, "bill a"
> <custom4173@sbcglobalDOTnet.invalid> wrote:
>
>>don't you mean narlins ?
>>
>>bill
>>

> Nawlins
>
>>"John Francis" <johnf@panix.com> wrote in message
>>> In article <3qlla9tqf0.fsf@shell4.tdl.com>,
>>> Phil Stripling <phil_stripling@cieux.zzn.com> wrote:
>>> I don't think so.
>>>
>>> I'm not aware of any British dialect that pronounces "Four" as "Fo"
>>>
>>> I'd say the reqired accent is probably closer to one from New Orleans.

whore = "ho"
four = "fo"
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 2:08:13 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

In article <3qvf9dl05k.fsf@shell4.tdl.com>,
Phil Stripling <phil_stripling@cieux.zzn.com> wrote:
>johnf@panix.com (John Francis) writes:
>
>> I'm not aware of any British dialect that pronounces "Four" as "Fo"
>
>Listen to the Beatles. :->

a.k.a "The Fab Four". Pronounced Four, not Fo.

In any case, Scouse pronunciation is most definitely "Faw".
(Listen to John singing "All Together Now" some time).
Birmingham, I'll concede, starts off "Fo". But it doesn't
stop there - the full pronunciation is more like "Fo-wer"
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 4:05:09 AM

Jerry wrote:
> <C@In.The.Hat> wrote:
>
> [...]
> > A: A camera takes photos and a sock takes five toes...
>
> Actually, I kinda liked the joke!
>
> The joke makes a point.
> I tend not to use the term "take a picture". What I really do is
expose
> some film or some electronic light sensing device so that I can later

> have a picture. I may even capture light in my camera which allows me
> convert it to a photo later. I think one could even say they "make" a

> picture. When this has been done, I can then "take" the picture
> somewhere.
> However, at no time does my camera "take" anything!
I bet you're a wow at parties... ;)
February 1, 2005 6:36:19 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

<C@In.The.Hat> wrote:

[...]
> A: A camera takes photos and a sock takes five toes...

Actually, I kinda liked the joke!

The joke makes a point.
I tend not to use the term "take a picture". What I really do is expose
some film or some electronic light sensing device so that I can later
have a picture. I may even capture light in my camera which allows me to
convert it to a photo later. I think one could even say they "make" a
picture. When this has been done, I can then "take" the picture
somewhere.
However, at no time does my camera "take" anything!

;-)
Jerry

> ...hey, I don't write the stuff...
>
> mike
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 6:36:20 AM

Jerry wrote:
> <C@In.The.Hat> wrote:
>
> [...]
>> A: A camera takes photos and a sock takes five toes...
>
> Actually, I kinda liked the joke!
>
> The joke makes a point.
> I tend not to use the term "take a picture". What I really do is
> expose some film or some electronic light sensing device so that I
> can later have a picture. I may even capture light in my camera which
> allows me to convert it to a photo later. I think one could even say
> they "make" a picture. When this has been done, I can then "take" the
> picture somewhere.
> However, at no time does my camera "take" anything!
>
> ;-)
> Jerry

It takes souls... or so I've heard.

"Doctor, I think I'm a kleptomaniac - what can I take for that?"
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 9:39:40 AM

Jerry wrote:

> However, at no time does my camera "take" anything!

You recycle the photons? Neat!

mike
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 7:42:54 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

And there I was thinking this thread would be a repository for a huge
list of photo jokes, that I can then plagiarise and use in classes...
But only one so far - so here's my addition:

What's the difference between a photographer and a large pizza?

A large pizza can feed a family of four.

By the way, I once had a copy of a tongue-in-cheek list of Ways To Make
Money With Your Camera, that had items on it like this:

1. Sell your camera. Leica's are particularly good here..

2. Hit someone over the head with it and steal their wallet. Nikon
F-series cameras are best for this because of their weight..

If anyone knows where I can find a full copy of this, it would be
appreciated.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 10:48:22 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

Way to go JCD - that's it! I mighta known it had something to do with
Bob Atkins!
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 11:53:56 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

So here it is, plagiarised, with deepest apologies to Bob and the
assurance it is reproduced here for educational purposes only:

How to Make Money Using Cameras
aka Creative Camera Use

by Robert M. Atkins

1. Sell it. Best camera for this type of work is a Leica, preferably an
unused "special edition."
2. Pawn it. Not as good as (1), but still not bad. Again, Leicas are
the best kind of camera for this work.
3. Lurk around in a dark alley, and when someone comes by, hit them
over the head with your camera and steal their wallet. Here the
superiority of medium format work really shines. Mamiya RB67s or Pentax
6x7s are very good. If you have to use 35mm, rumor has it that Nikons
work better than Canons. Under really difficult conditions, use a
sturdy tripod (always a good idea).
4. Sell pictures to your friends and colleagues. The best way here is
to follow them around in the evening and weekends. If you are lucky
you'll spot them doing something like going into a massage parlor or
being stopped by the police for DWI. Pictures of these events usually
sell for quite a bit more than the usual portrait work. 35mm is the
preferred format, and a long-range zoom is the lens of choice.
5. Sports Photography. Follow a prominent sports figure around all day,
every day, and take close-up pictures with a wide angle lens and flash
as often as possible. With luck and persistence you will be the victim
of an assault, for which you can sue. Even an out of court settlement
can be quite profitable. I'd suggest an inexpensive P&S camera for this
type of work.
6. There is no 6, 7, 8 or 9. What you gonna do? Sue me for article
fraud?
10. Become a pro by joining IFPO and sell yourself to people even more
gullible than you are. Make lots of money, retire, and write a book
about how to make money with your camera.

And here's another item that gave me a grin or two - a list of focal
lengths and their uses:

http://www.photo.net/mjohnston/column57/
February 2, 2005 1:09:14 AM

"Owamanga" <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:12:10 -0800, Lisa Horton
>
> What did the spastic say to his dog?
>
> "Down syndrome!"
>
> Now that's funny. It defines 'politically incorrect' of course, and
> offends lots of people, but, let not that stand in the way of humor.

I think it's in the most extraordinarily bad taste, and if you think it's
funny then I think it's you that should be put down. I shall certainly not
stand in the way when a large truck is accidentally thundering in your
direction. 'Jokes' like that went out of fashion at least 10 years ago.
Where have you been? In a coma? I wish you were still there.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 1:11:17 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

Can't help but notice that folk offended by something often include a
wish for the death of the offender (in this case, twice, even!). Yes,
I can understand how repeating a politically-incorrect joke deserves
such a fate....... |O:

Here in Oz, we have a comedian called 'Steady Eddy' who makes wicked
and uncensored fun of persons with cerebral palsy. His comedy can be
quite a shock initially, and his audiences often include a few who get
offended, but some of them change their mind when they realise Steady
is in fact NOT acting, and in fact has quite severe CP. Steady's work
is in fact very clever and insightful, and he has garnered a very good
reputation not only as a comic, but also as an actor and unofficial
spokesperson for CP, and he has, IMO, managed to help free up that
`awkwardness` that comes whenever a term like Spastic or Down Syndrome
or Cerebral Palsy or Autism is mentioned. I know some folks who work
with PWIDs (look it up!), and I call 2 PWIDs my friends - and they all
*love* Steady's humor. Laughing at oneself is not reserved for people
without disabilities.. And there is a significant diffference between
laughing at and laughing with, and although use of the term 'spastic'
has sadly become something of an insult over time, I don't see how that
joke was in `extraordinarily bad taste` - perhaps you can explain
why?...

Lighten up, I reckon.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 1:11:18 AM

<chrlz@go.com> wrote in message
> Can't help but notice that folk offended by something often include a
> wish for the death of the offender (in this case, twice, even!). Yes,
> I can understand how repeating a politically-incorrect joke deserves
> such a fate....... |O:
>
> Here in Oz, we have a comedian called 'Steady Eddy' who makes wicked
> and uncensored fun of persons with cerebral palsy. His comedy can be
> quite a shock initially, and his audiences often include a few who get
> offended, but some of them change their mind when they realise Steady
> is in fact NOT acting, and in fact has quite severe CP. Steady's work
> is in fact very clever and insightful, and he has garnered a very good
> reputation not only as a comic, but also as an actor and unofficial
> spokesperson for CP, and he has, IMO, managed to help free up that
> `awkwardness` that comes whenever a term like Spastic or Down Syndrome
> or Cerebral Palsy or Autism is mentioned. I know some folks who work
> with PWIDs (look it up!), and I call 2 PWIDs my friends - and they all
> *love* Steady's humor. Laughing at oneself is not reserved for people
> without disabilities.. And there is a significant diffference between
> laughing at and laughing with, and although use of the term 'spastic'
> has sadly become something of an insult over time, I don't see how that
> joke was in `extraordinarily bad taste` - perhaps you can explain
> why?...
>
> Lighten up, I reckon.

When Jerry Lewis was young, he made a lot of fun out of acting, "spastic".
Later on, when he became rich and well known, he more than made up for it
with his charity work raising money for diseases that crippled people and
left them palsied. I suspect that he concentrated on those kind of charities
because he got some flak over his earlier performances, but we'll probably
never know whether this is true or not......
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 1:14:23 AM

[...]

with PWDs (look it up!), and I call 2 PWDs my friends - and they all
*love* Steady's humor. Laughing at oneself is not reserved for people
withOUT disabilities.. And there is a significant diffference between
laughing at and laughing with, and although use of the term 'spastic'
has sadly become something of an insult over time, I don't see how that
joke was in `extraordinarily bad taste` - perhaps you can explain
why?...

Lighten up, I reckon.
@@apologies if you see this twice - edited for spelling correcshun@@
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 2:14:21 AM

"m II" <C@In.The.Hat> wrote in message
> Just heard on Virgin Radio from England...

.... home of laughter, eh?

Now put the fo'fo' away, yo'.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 2:17:06 AM

"Phil Stripling" <phil_stripling@cieux.zzn.com> wrote in message
> johnf@panix.com (John Francis) writes:
>
>> I'm not aware of any British dialect that pronounces "Four" as "Fo"
>
> Listen to the Beatles. :->

The same Beatles?
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 6:37:27 AM

On 1 Feb 2005 16:42:54 -0800, chrlz@go.com wrote:

>And there I was thinking this thread would be a repository for a huge
>list of photo jokes, that I can then plagiarise and use in classes...
>But only one so far - so here's my addition:
>

>What's the difference between a photographer and a large pizza?
>
>A large pizza can feed a family of four.
>

>By the way, I once had a copy of a tongue-in-cheek list of Ways To Make
>Money With Your Camera, that had items on it like this:
>
>1. Sell your camera. Leica's are particularly good here..
>
>2. Hit someone over the head with it and steal their wallet. Nikon
>F-series cameras are best for this because of their weight..
>
>If anyone knows where I can find a full copy of this, it would be
>appreciated.

<http://www.galactic-guide.com/articles/2R86.html&gt;
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 9:45:54 AM

"Vic" <victoria@example.com> wrote in message

> "Owamanga" <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:12:10 -0800, Lisa Horton
> >
> > What did the spastic say to his dog?
> >
> > "Down syndrome!"
> >
> > Now that's funny. It defines 'politically incorrect' of course, and
> > offends lots of people, but, let not that stand in the way of humor.
>
> I think it's in the most extraordinarily bad taste, and if you think it's
> funny then I think it's you that should be put down.

I take it you are not a fan of Penn and Teller?
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 10:09:51 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

"m II" <C@In.The.Hat> wrote in message
> Just heard on Virgin Radio from England...
>

> Q: What's the difference between a camera and a sock?
>
> A: A camera takes photos and a sock takes five toes...

This one combines my two favorite activities:

Photographers from the Tacoma News Tribune have been trying desperately to
get pictures of Mt. Saint Helens erupting, but by the time they can get to
the airport, charter a plane, and fly to the mountain the major show is
always over. Finally the editor called us and told us to have a plane
standing by, "just in case."

Sure enough, the volcano erupted with unusual fury and the photographer came
roaring into the airport, cameras swinging. Dashing through the dispatch
office and out onto the field, he jumped into the Cessna which was already
warming up on the ramp. "Let's get out of here," he says, and the pilot
loses no time getting out to the taxiway and taking off.

"Okay, I want you to first fly a circle around Mt. Saint Helens, then do a
low pass over the devastated area," the photographer says. "Why would I want
to do that?" asked the pilot. "Because I want to take pictures. That's what
photographers do," replied the photographer. There was a moment of silence
and the pilot said, "You mean you are not the instructor?"
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 10:48:59 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

Cecil B. DeMille (known as "C.B." to his friends) was noted for his glorious
epics, but he was never satisfied. He wanted to do one last picture that
would be his grandest of all: he would film the book of Genesis from the
Bible. The most spectacular and expensive scene ever committed to film, the
creation of the earth was to be the capstone of this legendary producer's
career.

For the purpose an entire valley in Spain was rented. Construction of the
set took nearly ten years and more money was spent on this one scene than
had ever been spent on an entire movie before. A huge ramp was set up
between two mountains. A gigantic Earth would roll down this ramp,
accompanied by the greatest aerial display of fireworks, smoke, and sound in
history. Thousands of angels, beasts, and men were cast to accompany the
spectacular event. Since the scene could be run only once, photographers
were stationed on three mountaintops overlooking the valley to ensure that
the footage was perfect. Phone lines were run up to the mountains so that
the director could talk to the photographers immediately.

The spectacle went off without a hitch. Even DeMille was so moved by the
experience that he could do nothing for nearly half an hour. He just sat
sobbing in his chair. Finally he reached the phone and called the first
camera station. "How did it go?" he asked. "My God, C.B., it was wonderful!"
came the photographer's reply. "But, C.B., we were all so awed by the scene
that we forgot to start the camera!" DeMille was disappointed, but said,
"Well, that's why we set up three camera crews."

Crew number two was even worse, however. "C.B., it took us three days to
drag all this equipment up here, and when we thought we were ready, we
discovered that all the film cans were still at the bottom of the mountain!
I could just die, C.B." "Do that!" snapped the irritated director.

With trembling hands DeMille picked up the third phone. "You guys got your
cameras set up?" "You bet, C.B." came the reply. "How about film, do you
have all the film you need?" "Its all here, C.B., film, cameras, everything.
Ready when you are, C.B."
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 11:34:51 AM

chrlz@go.com wrote:
> So here it is, plagiarised, with deepest apologies to Bob and the
> assurance it is reproduced here for educational purposes only:
>
> How to Make Money Using Cameras
> aka Creative Camera Use
>
> by Robert M. Atkins
>

> 3. Lurk around in a dark alley, and when someone comes by, hit them
> over the head with your camera and steal their wallet. Here the
> superiority of medium format work really shines. Mamiya RB67s or Pentax
> 6x7s are very good. If you have to use 35mm, rumor has it that Nikons
> work better than Canons. Under really difficult conditions, use a
> sturdy tripod (always a good idea).

Obviously Bob never ran into a Zenit-E a 35mm SLR where the camera was
carved in Russia out of a single solid block of lead. It weighed more
with it's Hellious 58mm f/2 lens then my Konica TC, with a 200mm Hexanon
f/2.5 attached. They are much better then a Nikon for bashing purposes,
and besides, if it breaks, you can usually find another one used for $25
or so....... I had one in 1977, and I am still getting neck pain
thinking about it......

February 2, 2005 3:56:59 PM

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 22:09:14 -0000, "Vic" <victoria@example.com> wrote:

>"Owamanga" <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:12:10 -0800, Lisa Horton
>>
>> What did the spastic say to his dog?
>>
>> "Down syndrome!"
>>
>> Now that's funny. It defines 'politically incorrect' of course, and
>> offends lots of people, but, let not that stand in the way of humor.
>
>I think it's in the most extraordinarily bad taste, and if you think it's
>funny then I think it's you that should be put down. I shall certainly not
>stand in the way when a large truck is accidentally thundering in your
>direction. 'Jokes' like that went out of fashion at least 10 years ago.
>Where have you been? In a coma? I wish you were still there.

Maybe you didn't understand it. It's about a spastic who has a dog
called 'Syndrome' that was jumping up at him. Bad taste, I agree -
probably it's most redeeming feature. Yes, it's from at least 10 years
ago, the oldest mention I can find on usenet is 1995. It's actually
from a longer version of the joke that had a man walking into the bar
and arguing with the barman that his dog was a mongol vs mongrel, ends
in the same punch line.

Wishing death on people however went out of fashion much longer ago,
and probably isn't that amusing to anyone, spastic or not.

BTW, badly quoted text above looks like Lisa Horton relayed the joke,
it has nothing to do with her.

--
Owamanga!
Anonymous

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

Ah, the memories - I used to have that very Zenit-E with Helios 58/2
!! They don't makem like that anymore! I think all that extra weight
was quite handy - camera shake was reduced very significantly....
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 2:08:29 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

because politically correct people tend to be the most intolerant of all.

bill

<chrlz@go.com> wrote in message
> Can't help but notice that folk offended by something often include a
> wish for the death of the offender (in this case, twice, even!). Yes,
> I can understand how repeating a politically-incorrect joke deserves
> such a fate....... |O:
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 10:07:55 AM

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 22:11:17 -0800, chrlz wrote:

> Here in Oz, we have a comedian called 'Steady Eddy' who makes wicked
> and uncensored fun of persons with cerebral palsy. His comedy can be
> quite a shock initially, and his audiences often include a few who get
> offended, but some of them change their mind when they realise Steady
> is in fact NOT acting, and in fact has quite severe CP. Steady's work
> is in fact very clever and insightful, and he has garnered a very good
> reputation not only as a comic, but also as an actor and unofficial
> spokesperson for CP, and he has, IMO, managed to help free up that
> `awkwardness` that comes whenever a term like Spastic or Down Syndrome
> or Cerebral Palsy or Autism is mentioned. I know some folks who work
> with PWIDs (look it up!), and I call 2 PWIDs my friends - and they all
> *love* Steady's humor. Laughing at oneself is not reserved for people
> without disabilities.. And there is a significant diffference between
> laughing at and laughing with, and although use of the term 'spastic'
> has sadly become something of an insult over time, I don't see how that
> joke was in `extraordinarily bad taste` - perhaps you can explain
> why?...
>
> Lighten up, I reckon.

"Mother doesn't go out anymore,
Just sits at home and rolls her spastic eyes."

A virtual beer (or milkshake) for the first person who correctly
identifies the song and artist. A whole slab of beer for getting the year
right!

--
Save photography - shoot a roll of film today!
Anonymous

Roxy Durban wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 22:11:17 -0800, chrlz wrote:
>
> > Here in Oz, we have a comedian called 'Steady Eddy' who makes wicked
> > and uncensored fun of persons with cerebral palsy. His comedy can be
> > quite a shock initially, and his audiences often include a few who get
> > offended, but some of them change their mind when they realise Steady
> > is in fact NOT acting, and in fact has quite severe CP. Steady's work
> > is in fact very clever and insightful, and he has garnered a very good
> > reputation not only as a comic, but also as an actor and unofficial
> > spokesperson for CP, and he has, IMO, managed to help free up that
> > `awkwardness` that comes whenever a term like Spastic or Down Syndrome
> > or Cerebral Palsy or Autism is mentioned. I know some folks who work
> > with PWIDs (look it up!), and I call 2 PWIDs my friends - and they all
> > *love* Steady's humor. Laughing at oneself is not reserved for people
> > without disabilities.. And there is a significant diffference between
> > laughing at and laughing with, and although use of the term 'spastic'
> > has sadly become something of an insult over time, I don't see how that
> > joke was in `extraordinarily bad taste` - perhaps you can explain
> > why?...
> >
> > Lighten up, I reckon.
>
> "Mother doesn't go out anymore,
> Just sits at home and rolls her spastic eyes."
>
> A virtual beer (or milkshake) for the first person who correctly
> identifies the song and artist. A whole slab of beer for getting the year
> right!
>
> --
> Save photography - shoot a roll of film today!

..45 acp preferred,
but .22 acceptable.

..223 worshipped, as is .50
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 10:07:56 AM

"Roxy Durban" <not@home.com> wrote in message
news:p an.2005.02.02.12.40.29.246000@home.com...
> On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 22:11:17 -0800, chrlz wrote:
>
>> Here in Oz, we have a comedian called 'Steady Eddy' who makes wicked
>> and uncensored fun of persons with cerebral palsy. His comedy can be
>> quite a shock initially, and his audiences often include a few who get
>> offended, but some of them change their mind when they realise Steady
>> is in fact NOT acting, and in fact has quite severe CP. Steady's work
>> is in fact very clever and insightful, and he has garnered a very good
>> reputation not only as a comic, but also as an actor and unofficial
>> spokesperson for CP, and he has, IMO, managed to help free up that
>> `awkwardness` that comes whenever a term like Spastic or Down Syndrome
>> or Cerebral Palsy or Autism is mentioned. I know some folks who work
>> with PWIDs (look it up!), and I call 2 PWIDs my friends - and they all
>> *love* Steady's humor. Laughing at oneself is not reserved for people
>> without disabilities.. And there is a significant diffference between
>> laughing at and laughing with, and although use of the term 'spastic'
>> has sadly become something of an insult over time, I don't see how that
>> joke was in `extraordinarily bad taste` - perhaps you can explain
>> why?...
>>
>> Lighten up, I reckon.
>
> "Mother doesn't go out anymore,
> Just sits at home and rolls her spastic eyes."
>
> A virtual beer (or milkshake) for the first person who correctly
> identifies the song and artist. A whole slab of beer for getting the year
> right!

Song: Sunday Paper

Artist: Joe Jackson

Album: Look Sharp

Year: January 1979

:o )

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 4:56:39 PM

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 21:19:22 -0800, Crownfield wrote:

> Roxy Durban wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 22:11:17 -0800, chrlz wrote:
>>
>> > Here in Oz, we have a comedian called 'Steady Eddy' who makes wicked
>> > and uncensored fun of persons with cerebral palsy. His comedy can be
>> > quite a shock initially, and his audiences often include a few who get
>> > offended, but some of them change their mind when they realise Steady
>> > is in fact NOT acting, and in fact has quite severe CP. Steady's work
>> > is in fact very clever and insightful, and he has garnered a very good
>> > reputation not only as a comic, but also as an actor and unofficial
>> > spokesperson for CP, and he has, IMO, managed to help free up that
>> > `awkwardness` that comes whenever a term like Spastic or Down Syndrome
>> > or Cerebral Palsy or Autism is mentioned. I know some folks who work
>> > with PWIDs (look it up!), and I call 2 PWIDs my friends - and they all
>> > *love* Steady's humor. Laughing at oneself is not reserved for people
>> > without disabilities.. And there is a significant diffference between
>> > laughing at and laughing with, and although use of the term 'spastic'
>> > has sadly become something of an insult over time, I don't see how that
>> > joke was in `extraordinarily bad taste` - perhaps you can explain
>> > why?...
>> >
>> > Lighten up, I reckon.
>>
>> "Mother doesn't go out anymore,
>> Just sits at home and rolls her spastic eyes."
>>
>> A virtual beer (or milkshake) for the first person who correctly
>> identifies the song and artist. A whole slab of beer for getting the year
>> right!
>>
>> --
>> Save photography - shoot a roll of film today!
>
> .45 acp preferred,
> but .22 acceptable.
>
> .223 worshipped, as is .50

Whoosh.

The correct answer is Joe Jackson. The song was "Sunday Papers" and IIRC
it dates back to 1980.

--
Save photography - shoot a roll of film today!
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 5:04:31 PM

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 01:55:47 -0700, Jay Beckman wrote:

>> "Mother doesn't go out anymore,
>> Just sits at home and rolls her spastic eyes."
>>
>> A virtual beer (or milkshake) for the first person who correctly
>> identifies the song and artist. A whole slab of beer for getting the year
>> right!
>

> Song: Sunday Paper
>
> Artist: Joe Jackson
>
> Album: Look Sharp
>
> Year: January 1979
>
> :o )
>
> Jay Beckman
> Chandler, AZ

Attaboy! What's your preference, then?

In January 1979 I was 11 years old. I bought this album the other day
after not hearing it for yonks.

--
Save photography - shoot a roll of film today!
!