Sign in with
Your question

HD 7850 Sapphire OC artifacing when under load. Help please.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 8, 2012 2:03:56 AM

Hello,

I have a HD 7850 Sapphire OC that very randomly and sporadically gives me flashing artifacts, and flashing textures. By flashing textures what I mean is that the entire texture of a sprite will very quickly flash with an "aqua" like color. This seems to increase the more load there is in the GPU. So for example running GW 2 which puts a good 80%+ load on some areas causes it randomly every 10 minutes or so. 3D Mark 11 free edition does not cause it. I have seen it very sporadically in Diablo 3 in the form of little white squares in the auction house. Unigine Heaven shows it rarely too, seems a little more frequent if I run it on higher settings.

This artifacts do seem to very with drivers though, I have tried 12.4, 12.6 and 12.8, it seems like 12.8 gives me the less artifacts, but I can still see them (it is hard though they flash fast), additionally ATI released 3 days ago CAPS for Guild Wars that increased peformance, however I am also noticing less artifacts than before, perhaps because the increased performance resulting in less GPU usage?. I have noticed a relationship between GPU usage and amount of artifacts.

I have only owned two cards in my life, the Nvidia 9800 GT that lasted me a good 4 years, and now this one. I am very positive I never ever saw any artifacts on my 9800 GT. What I am wondering is if this flashing sporadic artifacts are something normal in most cards, or if this definitely indicate I should RMA my card. In fact I already have a RMA number from Sapphire valid for 20 days (18 at the time of this posting now). Still debating if card is good or not.

Is there any program I can download to do any artifact testing?. I tried ATI Tool for some reason it will not detect my card...

Other notes my psu is a Seagate 620 W about 5 months old, and my UPS says the max draw under load is only 230 watts. GPU-Z has a max temperature of 60 degrees.

Full system specs:

HD 7850 Saphire OC (Default OC) currently running 12.8 WHQL drivers, CCC has everything at default)
i5 2500 K (Not OC, just turbo enabled to 3.7Ghz)
16 GB Ram Corsair
7200 RPM Hard Drive 6GB/s
ASUS Maximus iV Gene-z/Gen 3 motherboard
Windows 7 Professinal 64 Bit

Here are some screenshots I got by taking a video and the using video editing software to get the frame where it happens, they last <.2 seconds.

See hazy "cloud" envolving city and part of the bridge.

And in Guild Wars 2:

(See light blue flashing in top right corner and left side)
For Guild Wars I will get 1-3 artifacts every 5 minutes, which can be black random artifacts, or textures flickering to white/blueish white for split seconds, this increases if card is under heavy load 80%+, so in towns for example where there are many people around.

(See squares illuminated for absolutely on reason at all), this is the ONLY artifacting/flicker I can reliable reproduce, all other flickers are completely random.

And in Diablo 3:

(See small white squares on second from the bottom line)
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2012 2:14:21 AM

1. Do you have all the Windows updates?
2. Uninstall the drivers, restart, and reinstall.
3. Did you completely remove the previous nvidia drivers?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2012 3:34:21 AM

Random flicker mostly related to unstable O.C but as obasama1 said recheck if u had completely uninstall nvidia driver....
m
l
Related resources
a c 87 U Graphics card
September 8, 2012 4:15:27 AM

You might need to do something more in-depth (you often do when you change graphics drivers in order to avoid problems). Boot into safe mode, use a program called Driver Fusion (newer version of Driver Sweeper) to completely kill off all Nvidia, Ati, and AMD graphics drivers. Reboot into a normal boot and install the appropriate drivers for your system, re-boot again as necessary and then try running a few games. This is one way to completely uninstall graphics drivers. Even using the normal uninstall process leaves parts behind and they can cause problems and this is one way to avoid problems caused by such leftovers.
m
l
September 8, 2012 4:42:08 AM

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your replies, i have my windows updates up to date, and I have uninstalled/reinstalled drivers several times now, using the normal uninstall then restart then rmoving ALL ati amd folders followed by ALL ati amd registry keys as suggested by a guru3d thread that said not to use driver sweeper because it could cause some issues, not sure if I should use it or not...

Regarding the OC it is factory overclocked by Sapphire, is it still possible for a factory oc to be unstable?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2012 4:57:07 AM

Oscarmk said:
......Regarding the OC it is factory overclocked by Sapphire, is it still possible for a factory oc to be unstable?...

it can, and high possibility too (similar like how we get bad parts even it's brand new.....)
m
l
September 8, 2012 1:19:30 PM

rdc85 said:
it can, and high possibility too (similar like how we get bad parts even it's brand new.....)

Should I try Downcloacking it to default?
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
September 8, 2012 1:27:22 PM

You could, but if it doesn't work and you do an RMA, don't tell anyone that you changed frequency/voltage settings ;)  Some warranties are voided by doing this and they can't know that you overclocked unless you tell them.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 9, 2012 3:59:18 AM

yeah, if it work at lower clock then just reset it to factory O.C default and RMA it....

(as blazorthon said : "keep secret about the downlock" just said it had artifact) :D 
m
l
September 9, 2012 5:25:34 PM

rdc85 said:
yeah, if it work at lower clock then just reset it to factory O.C default and RMA it....

(as blazorthon said : "keep secret about the downlock" just said it had artifact) :D 

I will give this a try. Thank you
m
l
!