captainvera

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Hi,

I have had several laptop computers over the years and i currently have a 2011 mbp, i really like it and wouldn't trade it for any other laptop, the thing is, laptops just can't deliver the same kind of performance a custom build pc can. So, i set out to learn about how to build my own computer and after many months of planning I've come out with this:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mij5

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.22 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Samsung 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($18.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Samsung 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($18.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Pro 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $749.15
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

I'll use this for Gaming, primarily gaming and some more gaming also some programming and i do a lot of work in handbrake because i convert movies from every format to mp4 ( so they can go on my apple tv ) all the time.

I don't need a monitor, case or OS.

The ram is because I've heard wonderful things about this samsung wonder ram. the hard drives are going to be run in raid 0 ( Does the motherboard have an integrated raid controller?) CPU cooler is because i heard good things about the performance but if there is something that performs similarly but is quieter i'll get it. i also don't understand much about MB's and chose this one because i see a lot of people picking it and because it supports SLI/crossfire and i'd like to do that in the future when my GPU isn't capable of holding playable fps's in games

As you may have noticed i didn't chose any GPU, that's because i'm torn between the current top 3: 670/7970/680, i would choose the one who has the best performance when OC'ed which means i'll probably get a voltage unlocked 7970 probably but i'm open for suggestions in model and on any of the other two ( 670, 680) if you feel they perform better...

Also, on a side note, i live in Portugal but i will be purchasing from the US to a friend's house and he will bring me the parts.

P.S: is it worth waiting 'till black friday / cyber monday? are discounts that significant?

Thanks in advance!

P.S 2:the aim with this build is performance first, but i'd like it to be as quiet as possible as i don't turn off my pc and night and don't game with headphones..

-raid 0 is useless
-i7s are not for gaming
-how much handbrake do you do?
-i5s and i7s are about matched in transcoding performance since they use the same intergrated GPU
-what case do you have?

id get this
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mu1d

-the ram is great but id get it in a dual channel kit for the best compatability
-got you a nice SSD as well
-if you want a good case, id suggest the fractal define R4. very silent.
-if you want silence, id suggest a noctua u12p-se2 cooler instead. the hyper 212 can get loud under full load.

heres a build with my suggestions included
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mu2B

+1 except raid 0 is not useless just not needed

captainvera

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
-raid 0 is useless
Why is it useless? =/

-i7s are not for gaming
they are as good as i5's just more expensive..

i know i have it for handbrake and for E-PEEN :sarcastic:
-how much handbrake do you do?
a lot, really, a lot

-i5s and i7s are about matched in transcoding performance since they use the same intergrated GPU
That's not what i heard since the i7's have hyperthreading: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-benchmark-core-i7-3770k,3181-19.html

that might seem like a small diference but when you're converting all LOTR director's cut 1080p i Will notice it...

-what case do you have?
going to buy one from a local retailer as i cant ask my friend to bring me one from the US

-the ram is great but id get it in a dual channel kit for the best compatability
didnt know it'd make a diference, suggestion taken...

-got you a nice SSD as well
Already got one, forgot to mention...

-if you want a good case, id suggest the fractal define R4. very silent.
You can but i will have to buy it from a local retailer so no point in adding it to the build

-if you want silence, id suggest a noctua u12p-se2 cooler instead. the hyper 212 can get loud under full load.
is it noticeable? as the notcua is almost twice as much...

heres a build with my suggestions included
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mu2B[/quotemsg]

why did you change the MOBO? and why not get a 7970? won't it perform better?

He changed the motherboard because it's a more reliable board and the ram is best to buy in sets so you can take advantage of running in dual channel since the motherboard supports it i don't know why he changed the rest i guess wait for him to reply

boulbox

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012

for the most part it is trim(unless they fixed it)

TRIM is a very useful thing that moves data around to keep your SSD up to speed(might be wrong)

also AMD 8350 comes close to i7 3770k at mutithread but not as good as intel's previous generation i5 2500k at single thread work

a very good choice for a budget and it games decent too with about a few frames behide i5 3570k

I would say that is a personal opinion i don't think it's useless Advantages

RAID 0 offers great performance, both in read and write operations. There is no overhead caused by parity controls.
All storage capacity is used, there is no disk overhead.
The technology is easy to implement.

Disadvantages

RAID 0 is not fault-tolerant. If one disk fails, all data in the RAID 0 array are lost. It should not be used on mission-critical systems.
Ideal use

RAID 0 is ideal for non-critical storage of data that have to be read/written at a high speed, such as on a Photoshop image retouching station.

raid 0 doesnt provide any noticeable performance in daily operations

transcoding is the same speed. you are using the intergrated GPU for transcoding, not the CPU

the noctua is half as loud. your call

i dont see the point of shopping instore when the online companies have free shipping. plus you cant lose receipts

captainvera

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

Point taken on the cooler and raid 0.

they dont have free shipping to the EU..

captainvera

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

he can but he can hide the components in his traveling bags but he cant hide the computer case and i'd be forced to pay 23% taxes when it arrived here :(