Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SLI GTX 670: Asus DirectCUII vs Gigabyte OC

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 8, 2012 2:27:27 AM

Hello,
I'm putting together my first build and I'm in need of advice.

Up till now I've decided on:
Spoiler
Intel Core i7-3770K - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6819116501
Gigabyte Z77X-D3H Mobo - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813128546
Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler - wish it wasn't so fugly http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6835608018
Crucial M4 2.5" SSD - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820148442
Seasonic X-760 PSU
WD 1TB Caviar Black HDD
NZXT Phantom 410 case

Now I'm left to decide on the GTX 670 brand:
Gigabyte OC GTX 670 - http://www.gigabyte.eu/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4...
or
Asus GTX670-DC2T-2GD5 - http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/GTX670...

Things which concerns me:
1. Spacing between the two cards - I've read somewhere the Asus card covers 2 PCI-E slots whilst the Gigabyte card covers only one. Though by looking at their dimensions they are the same height?

2. Cooling - I know both cards run cool but I don't know about their airflow and how will it affect temperatures in SLI.

I couldn't find a good answer to that so I'd really appreciate if you share your knowledge.
September 8, 2012 2:32:03 AM

The cards are ~roughly~ the same size wise, close enough that I wouldn't be too concerned about their differences. As for the cooling, the Windforce has, as I hope you've noticed, three fans. I believe that Gigabyte's design allows for exhaust to be pushed out the back of the card, but I hope someone can correct me if I'm wrong. That will keep ambient temperatures down in your case, leading to lower temps overall. The Windforce was also noted for being quiet in contrast to the fans. Are you planning on overclocking at all? The Asus comes factory overclocked, but you will more than likely be able to get the Windforce above that in no time, while still keeping cooler. And again, the Windforce has TomsHardware's Recommendation.
m
l
September 8, 2012 2:42:48 AM

Let me clarify the size issue real quick. If you look at the specifications for both cards, the Windforce has a height of 43mm, while the Asus has a height of 1.7". Convert 43mm to inches and you get 1.69291 inches. So, minimal difference (I'm sure they would have rounded had the units been in inches).
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2012 2:45:42 AM

I would go with the Gigabyte OC just because DC2T versionis out of stock on newegg(if you serach DC2 they will give your the non-top version with no factory OC) and every other retailer, and even if they were available they would be $430 and up compared to Gigabyte's 399.99, the cost difference doubles in SLI and the performance difference won't be worth the +$60 you spend.

Either way with these custom cooler there is a large chance the majority of the hot exhaust will be left inside your case, make sure you have enough fans in the GPU part of your Case(Side panel,Bottom fan mount etc to increase airflow in that area to keep your SLI cool. Either card will allow you to play 120FPS on a near max setting for every game except for when you get CPU bottlenecked in games like BF3 Multiplayer with 64 players(not even a $1000 Sandy-E can save you here).
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2012 2:47:43 AM

samuraimastr said:
Let me clarify the size issue real quick. If you look at the specifications for both cards, the Windforce has a height of 43mm, while the Asus has a height of 1.7". Convert 43mm to inches and you get 1.69291 inches. So, minimal difference (I'm sure they would have rounded had the units been in inches).

On newegg both are listed as 1.7", the only narrower one I could find is the MSI N670 PE/OC at 1.5", I personally doubt .2" difference in card width will significantly affect your SLI temp in a well cooled case.

Most Z77 Boards have their top 2 PCIE 3.0 slots 3 slots apart, so with a 2 Slot top card the distance between the bottom of the first card and the top of the second card will be 1 slot(1"+).
m
l
September 8, 2012 2:51:34 AM

sherlockwing said:
On newegg both are listed as 1.7", the only narrower one I could find is the MSI N670 PE/OC at 1.5", I personally doubt .2" difference in card width will significantly affect your SLI temp in a well cooled case.

I concur. Looking at your motherboard, they'll be plenty far apart.
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
September 8, 2012 3:09:08 AM

You mentioned you wished NHD14 was not so funky looking get this just as good as NHD14 and will fit your build color scheme PHANTEKS PH-TC14PE_BL 5 x?8mm Dual Heat-Pipes Dual 140mm Premium Fans and Quiet CPU Cooler with Patented P.A.T.S Coating
by Phanteks
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=w... kinda allot of money though lol
m
l
September 8, 2012 3:14:36 AM

Thanks everyone for your quick replies.
I am leaning towards the Gigabyte version. After a bit of research it seems both cards will exhaust air into the case and it appears the EVGA version doesn't. But I don't think the EVGA card is worth the extra money.

I also just read footman's reply on http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/354974-33-asus-direct...

He mentions 2xGigabyte would overheat while having 3 slots between them. Is he just a case of bad air flow?
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2012 3:20:11 AM

NexusVan said:
I am leaning towards the Gigabyte version. After a bit of research it seems both cards will exhaust air into the case and it appears the EVGA version doesn't. But I don't think the EVGA card is worth the extra money.

I also just read footman's reply on http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/354974-33-asus-direct...

He mentions 2xGigabyte would overheat while having 3 slots between them. Is he just a case of bad air flow?

Quoted from him

In SLI with three spaces between the two cards, they overheated, the top card hit 93C before shutting down the pc and was screaming with over 80% fan speed, the lower Gigabyte card was at 88C and 77% fan speed (according to my GPU-Z logs)... Also my CPU temps rose by 10C due to all the hot air in my Switch 810 case (and this was with the side door open)... said:
In SLI with three spaces between the two cards, they overheated, the top card hit 93C before shutting down the pc and was screaming with over 80% fan speed, the lower Gigabyte card was at 88C and 77% fan speed (according to my GPU-Z logs)... Also my CPU temps rose by 10C due to all the hot air in my Switch 810 case (and this was with the side door open)...

93C on the top card on a Gigabyte Windforce have 1 explanation and 1 explantion only-> A DOA card that need RMA, maybe he got one of the bad batch when they were first released.

My single Gigabyte in a Thor V2(1X 230mm side panel intake, card was bought last Tuesday) is running 50-51C on 55% fan(22C ambient) on max boost clock without OC(1150), I seriously doubt there is a way to get that card over 75 without a really bad fan profile or a really bad ambient T.

I am getting another Gigabyte to SLI next month, so I considered the cooler issue beforehand and considered FTW, but

1 its avaliablity was spotty(sold out at least 3 times in August).
2 after looking through user overclock scores on Overclock.net there was no real difference between the OC ceiling of these cards beside just pure Silicon lottery luck.
3 the Custom Fan cooler of Gigabyte is not only cooler in most scenarios but also much quieter as it can achieve the same temp with lower fan%.

My Afterburner fanprofile FYI:
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
September 8, 2012 3:40:02 AM

NexusVan said:

The evga is great it runs hotter and louder but has great customer service with quality assurance gigabyte every one of their cards has had issues that i bought in the past but maybe just bad luck i am sure it's a great choice reviews seem to claim so anyway.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2012 3:40:26 AM

bigcyco1 said:
The evga is great it runs hotter and louder but has great customer service with quality assurance

That customer service is now more like everyone else now that they done away with life time warranty, Gigabyte offers the same 3 year warranty and also don't require registration, maybe the reputation still favors EVGA but the service is more of less the same. EVGA do have the Step-up program if you have the cash to up your dual 670 FTW to dual 680 SOC.
m
l
September 12, 2012 8:51:22 PM

Best answer selected by NexusVan.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 11, 2013 3:48:02 AM

sherlockwing said:
NexusVan said:

Quoted from him

In SLI with three spaces between the two cards, they overheated, the top card hit 93C before shutting down the pc and was screaming with over 80% fan speed, the lower Gigabyte card was at 88C and 77% fan speed (according to my GPU-Z logs)... Also my CPU temps rose by 10C due to all the hot air in my Switch 810 case (and this was with the side door open)... said:
In SLI with three spaces between the two cards, they overheated, the top card hit 93C before shutting down the pc and was screaming with over 80% fan speed, the lower Gigabyte card was at 88C and 77% fan speed (according to my GPU-Z logs)... Also my CPU temps rose by 10C due to all the hot air in my Switch 810 case (and this was with the side door open)...

93C on the top card on a Gigabyte Windforce have 1 explanation and 1 explantion only-> A DOA card that need RMA, maybe he got one of the bad batch when they were first released.

My single Gigabyte in a Thor V2(1X 230mm side panel intake, card was bought last Tuesday) is running 50-51C on 55% fan(22C ambient) on max boost clock without OC(1150), I seriously doubt there is a way to get that card over 75 without a really bad fan profile or a really bad ambient T.

I am getting another Gigabyte to SLI next month, so I considered the cooler issue beforehand and considered FTW, but

1 its avaliablity was spotty(sold out at least 3 times in August).
2 after looking through user overclock scores on Overclock.net there was no real difference between the OC ceiling of these cards beside just pure Silicon lottery luck.
3 the Custom Fan cooler of Gigabyte is not only cooler in most scenarios but also much quieter as it can achieve the same temp with lower fan%.

My Afterburner fanprofile FYI:

Agreed, my dual 670's from GB rarely get past 75 degrees celcius at 60% fan.
m
l
!