Idle computer = "reboot and select proper boot device"

hipponax

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
I have a home-built computer that is otherwise running fantastically, but occasionally when I leave the computer idle for an extended period of time (maybe an hour or more) I'll return to discover a black screen reading the boot error "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in proper boot device." This is odd because I have not asked the computer to restart -- I have no idea why it would be trying to reboot in the first place! This happens only occasionally (I can't predict it) and switching the computer off and on always results in a smooth reloading of Windows without any hitches or error messages. The error NEVER happens when I'm using the computer, even if I'm doing something relatively graphics intensive for 4-5 hours, it's only when I leave the machine idle, and then only sometimes. Any ideas?

System info
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K (3.40 GHz)
RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 12800
GPU: EVGA GTX560Ti
MB: ASUS Z68 P8Z68-V PRO
SSD: Corsair Force Series GT 120 GB
PS: Corsair 850 HX

Check the power profile and make sure the machine is not going into sleep or hibernation. If it is, it's possible that one of the drivers is screwing up when the machine sleeps or hibernates. If that is the case, update all of the major drivers (video, audio, network, and chipset).

bigj231

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
I've read about SSD's not returning from suspend/hibernation properly. I know that my motherboard gives a similar message when I try to boot without a hard drive in my system. You could see if that is what the problem is by removing the hard drive cables while the system is running. I DO NOT RECOMMEND DOING THIS!!! as it has a very good possibility of completely screwing up your system. I will not be responsible for whatever happens if you do try that.

Maybe there is a firmware update for your SSD (make sure to backup all your data) or a chipset driver that helps with the problem.

I know the best "band-aid" fix is to disable sleep/suspend in any form. Also, make sure that the power plan never cuts the power to the hard drives (Turn off Hard Drives when inactive for... NEVER)

On boot drives, as long as this is done before Windows loads, you should be fine. Before the splash screen for Windows appears, the system hasn't tried to access any data on the drive, it only checks the drive to verify the BIOS can see the device.