mchev15

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
i'm new to the pc world and all it offers. I have just completed my first build. I already know that these parts arent "top of the line" so to speak,but i'm looking for some feedback as what emphasis i should direct future builds. Is this an out-dated system, that will waste my time upgrading? Again this is my first build so don't bash me too hard.
thanks

windows 7 ULTIMATE 64x
asrock am2xli-esata2
AMD 64 X2 DUAL CORE 5600+
8 GB KINGSTON HyperX DDR2 PC2-6400 Desktop Memory (4PCS @ KHX6400D2B1/2G)
VISIONTEK 7850 HD 2GB GRAPHICS CARD
790 GB (3 sata) HARD DRIVE
NZXT SEN-001LX Sentry LX Aluminum dual bay fan controller
1050W ATX Power Supply
2 DELL ST2220L MONITORS

Solution
That build is really unbalanced. You have a very old Processor, MOBo, And Ram combination paired with a modern GPU. The GPU is probably being bottlenecked by the processor.

I also noted that your PSU is way overpowered for the system. Around 500W would be plenty. How many PCIe power connectors does it have? You could probably run three or four high end graphics cards on that power supply.

I would suggest that, if you want to, upgrade the CPU, MOBO and RAM and the rest should be good.

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
That build is really unbalanced. You have a very old Processor, MOBo, And Ram combination paired with a modern GPU. The GPU is probably being bottlenecked by the processor.

I also noted that your PSU is way overpowered for the system. Around 500W would be plenty. How many PCIe power connectors does it have? You could probably run three or four high end graphics cards on that power supply.

I would suggest that, if you want to, upgrade the CPU, MOBO and RAM and the rest should be good.

Solution

mchev15

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
Thanks GEOFELT,
This build was basically build of scrap parts laying around my brothers house except for the graphics card ofcourse. It was purchased recently. I thought about psu but wanted to get through the initial build first.

Well, the price was right:)

I have no problem with an overpowered psu. It will use only the wattage demanded of it.

Most likely, you will want a better cpu for gaming.
Today, Intel is the best way to go at any price point.