Closed Solved

XFX 7870 Crossfire PSU Question

Hello guys I have a question about how many watts will I need to run this setup I got here. I want to do crossfire with 2 XFX 7870's.

GPU: 2X XFX 7870 GHz Edition 2GB
MOBO: ASRock H77 Pro4
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB SATA III 7200 RPM
CPU: Intel Core i5 3550
RAM: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1333MHz DDR3
SSD: OCZ Vertex Plus R2 60GB SSD
OPTICAL DRIVE: SONY Black 18X DVD-ROM

I am on a budget so I can't get like a $200 1000 Watt PSU or anything.
20 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 7870 crossfire question
  1. Best answer
    so what is your budget? you could easily get away with a 750watt for two 7870s their tdp is around 175watts....I have been running 2 gtx 285's (tdp 205watts) and a power hungry first gen i7 at 4ghz for like 3 years now on a solid PCP&C 750watt unit.....I am partial to PCP&C I know their later models havent been the best but here is one from them for cheap
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703027
    $70 after Rebate and Promo Code and shipped

    or
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139040
    $86 shipped after rebate
  2. drums101 said:
    so what is your budget? you could easily get away with a 750watt for two 7870s their tdp is around 175watts....I have been running 2 gtx 285's (tdp 205watts) and a power hungry first gen i7 at 4ghz for like 3 years now on a solid PCP&C 750watt unit.....I am partial to PCP&C I know their later models havent been the best but here is one from them for cheap
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703027
    $70 after Rebate and Promo Code and shipped

    or
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139040
    $86 shipped after rebate



    My budget is about $60-$90 Thanks for the reply btw.
  3. ok well both those PSU's fit into your budget...you prolly wont want to get anything cheaper than that...the PSU is the only component in a computer that can take other components with it so I wouldn't skimp on it.....both of the PSU's I linked to are great reliable PSU's I would have no problem putting either in my rig...if I had to choose I would get the PCP&C one bc I have had great luck with that brand bought a PSU in 2008 and its still powering my power hungry rig to this day without incident.
  4. ^^Good suggestion I like that PSU too...found it on newegg for $5 less and you dont have to pay taxes or shipping hehe :)
  5. drums101 said:
    ^^Good suggestion I like that PSU too...found it on newegg for $5 less and you dont have to pay taxes or shipping hehe :)
    lol just noticed and it depends where OP lives in Ca. not tax or shipping at tigerdirect at newegg there is tax and shipping
  6. Best answer selected by TRoJAN1107.
  7. drums101 said:
    ok well both those PSU's fit into your budget...you prolly wont want to get anything cheaper than that...the PSU is the only component in a computer that can take other components with it so I wouldn't skimp on it.....both of the PSU's I linked to are great reliable PSU's I would have no problem putting either in my rig...if I had to choose I would get the PCP&C one bc I have had great luck with that brand bought a PSU in 2008 and its still powering my power hungry rig to this day without incident.


    No it's not like I don't like the one that you gave me I am actually just waiting now for tommorow to order. Yes, I know you can't be cheap on the PSU which I'm not trying to at all. Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'm gonna go with your 750 watt one.
  8. really? newegg charges taxes and shipping if you live in CA? lol thats the same for tigerdirect I live near chicago and they charge me up the ass in taxes and shipping even though there is a store like 45mins from my house lol

    and to the OP I didnt take it that way. I was just trying to convince you to go with the more "expensive" units... I was not insulted in anyway lol
  9. drums101 said:
    really? newegg charges taxes and shipping if you live in CA? lol thats the same for tigerdirect I live near chicago and they charge me up the ass in taxes and shipping even though there is a store like 45mins from my house lol

    and to the OP I didnt take it that way. I was just trying to convince you to go with the more "expensive" units... I was not insulted in anyway lol
    Yeah newegg charge me tax and shipping i live in city Perris state California tigerdirect doesn't though
  10. thats funny lol...I guess they like to screw over the people in their home state...that sucks...I am at the better end of the deal though lol I would rather order from newegg anyways.
  11. which one newegg? its prolly bc you dont live in california?
  12. drums101 said:
    really? newegg charges taxes and shipping if you live in CA? lol thats the same for tigerdirect I live near chicago and they charge me up the ass in taxes and shipping even though there is a store like 45mins from my house lol

    and to the OP I didnt take it that way. I was just trying to convince you to go with the more "expensive" units... I was not insulted in anyway lol


    Lol what?!?! It says FREE SHIPPING for me.
  13. drums101 said:
    which one newegg? its prolly bc you dont live in california?
    has to be that otherwise newegg has some explaining to do :lol:
  14. yea lol maybe newegg just doesnt like you cyco...lol
  15. drums101 said:
    which one newegg? its prolly bc you dont live in california?


    I live in Oregon and yeah newegg.
  16. yea that makes sense then I get free shipping too to illinois
  17. drums101 said:
    yea lol maybe newegg just doesnt like you cyco...lol
    :na:
  18. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Crossfire Graphics Product