Framrate drops when I walk away for more than one minute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lordherod

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
When I am playing ANY game, World of Warcraft, Prototype 2, or Mass Effect 3, and when I am watching streamed videos online, When I walk way for more than 1 minute, my frame rate suddenly drops until I move my cursor, and then it goes back to normal. I have tried cleaning errors and registries. I recently reinstalled Windows 7. I am at a loss of information for finding out what is causing this. Here are my specs:

dxdiag:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 9/7/2012, 22:50:22
Machine name: DREW-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120330-1504)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: NVIDIA
System Model: 132-CK-NF78
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9450 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 560 Ti
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1200&SUBSYS_089810DE&REV_A1
Display Memory: 2129 MB
Dedicated Memory: 978 MB
Shared Memory: 1151 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (59Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: E421VL
Monitor Id: VIZ0085
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (59.934Hz)
Output Type: HD15

meh, its a pain when people use DXDIAG for specs. Is it that hard to manually type it, as now your making readers search through the text instead. Its better for 1 person to do the work rather than everyone else.

Have you tried updating drivers?

Lordherod

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
I'm sorry I'm somewhat of a computer noob and didn't know what exactly to put so I entered the whole thing. I know walls of text suck!

I have updated to the latest video card drivers and they are current. I have ran windows update several times since reinstalling the OS. Not sure what else to do.

everything is okay as long as I am constantly moving the mouse but in cut scenes and for online movies/when I move away from wow to go to the bathroom for example my frame rate goes from perfect to disgusting.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Check power settings, both in the Nvidia Control Panel and Windows power management.

In the nvidia "manage 3D settings" look at "power management mode" and set to "prefer max performance" in the games you play.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
I dunno...see my card (GTX 560) doesn't really do this. It has three power levels, and it adjusts the core clock to 50 MHz, 405 MHz or 810 MHz depending on what's running. Even if it's on 50MHz during 1080p video playback, it's fine.

So streaming might be affected by something else, like the CPU (or your net connection, but that doesn't co-relate the mouse pointer).

Use GPU-Z to monitor your GPU clocks and CPU-Z to monitor your CPU clocks. leave it idle and see what's happening.

Check your BIOS power management settings, and in the windows power management maybe raise the min processor idle state.

TBH i dont think all of that should matter, you know (beyond nvidia's power management thing and BIOS settings) because i have a similar system (C2Q Q8400 and GTX560) and have extremely aggressive power management options enabled, but nothing like this happens.

Sometimes i've had the GPU get stuck on a particular idle power mode so it doesn't go full throttle in games, but a restart fixed that. Only happened twice in the last three months or so of having this card.

Anyway, try a BIOS update for both the GPU and motherboard as well if all else fails.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Go to the company's website. You should find something there. Or call customer support :D

is that an Nvidia mobo?

In that case, look here: http://www.nvidia.in/page/legacy.html
just change the country to yous (or the US, probably find everything there).

I have an intel mobo, they usually include install instructions or i can use an automated .exe file for updates.

But you'll have to put that .bin file on a USB drive, stick it in, go to the BIOS screen and see if it lets you update it from somewhere. Like i also had an option to enter the BIOS update mode if i pressed F10 or something on the startup sBIOS splash screen.

See if you can find any other instructions on Nvidia's site or as i said before, contact customer support.

poweruser_24

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
Have you got an application that only runs when idle, like BOINC? (seti@home, genome folding, or similar).

Perhaps your antivirus is performing scans, or Windows is reindexing etc.

Alot of "only run when idle" apps, wait for lack of input before starting. Input being mouse or keyboard. They will run even when watching video's, playing games etc if you don't set them up right, when there is no input.

Lordherod

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
No I have no antivirus after I reinstalled windows. I think this error might be causing it. I see it every morning when I wake up.
Also to my knowledge there is nothing running in the background.

CORE

Run-time error '6'

core

Lordherod

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
Okay this is what is happening - I ran GPU-Z

What I'm doing (watching a streaming movie but this happens in games too)

I ran GPU-Z, when I don't move the mouse and walk away after a bout a minute, my GPU load goes from 2% to 99%. When I jiggle the mouse, the GPU goes back down to 2% and the frame-rate gets better. Also, when this happens, not only does the gpu load go to 99% but the GPU temperature goes from about 66*c to about 82*c (and that's as far as I let the temperature rise before jiggling the mouse). I am baffled. The only thing I haven't done yet is update the bios which hasn't been done since 2008 because I have no blank discs.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Listen.

Go install the latest chipset drivers for your mobo. Link's provided in an earlier post of mine.
Install the latest audio and video drivers.

If that doesn't fix it, copy and paste the .bin file (i also gave you a link to EVGA's download page, select motherboards->nvidia/nforce or whatever they call it->780i->your mobo (not the FTW one)->look at the bios section and download the latest bios, or check if that's the one you have) and put it in a USB stick.

Also, you'll find a manual there (i also posted the link above) and read through the BIOS sections, or Ctrl + F and search for "flash" or something. Anyway, even if you don't find it, google "BIOS update EVGA 132-CK-NF78 780i motherboard" or similar and see if you get something.

Anyway, if all else fails, look through the BIOS screen and find something that relates to updating/flashing the BIOS.

If EVERYTHING fails then call/mail EVGA.

I'm tempted to ask you to set "boot from USB" in the BIOS boot options and simply stick the USB drive in with the bios file, but i'm not sure how that'll turn out so don't do it.

Lordherod

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
Alright i'll do that. I didn't have discs, or a usb, and didn't think that I could mount an image with a .bin and didn't think there was an exe or update around it. Thanks for the help I'll work on updating the bios/mobo today. Still getting that Core run-time error '6' but hopefully this will fix it.

Edit: You guys rock. That has the iso in the thread hopefully this fixes the run-time error for core and fixes the issues.

Lordherod

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
I've updated my BIOS and I'm still having the same issue. I don't know what else to do because everything is currently up to date. I still get the Core Run-time error '6' every morning when I check on the pc which means this error pops up after a few hours and I shouldn't be doing anything that provokes this error. I have nothing running in the background and have not had this problem until I reinstalled windows.

Could dust be causing the problem? The only issue I have with that theory is why does this issue only happen when I'm not moving the mouse. If it were the dust then you'd think i'd be having this issue constantly and not only when I'm not active on the pc (i.e. not moving mouse).

Status
Not open for further replies.