Sign in with
Your question

Wanting to build a cheap computer myself

Last response: in Systems
November 4, 2012 5:23:11 PM

I already have a nice gaming computer, but I had someone build it for me, and I want to learn how to build a computer for myself, I want it to be decent so that other people could use it at my house. I have some parts picked out that I want to use, Everything is about $600 or less totaled up.

Here are the parts -

CPU - Amd fx-4100 qaudcore 3.6hz

Heatsink/Fan - Amd heatsink and fan

Motherboards - Asus m5a79l-m LX plus

Memory - 8 gb

Hard Drive - 500gb

CD / DVD / CDRW 1 24x LG SATA Dual Layer Dvd/-RW/CDRW

Video Card 2gb geforce gtx 630

Operating System - windows 7 home premium 64 bit

Case - Foxconn Black TLM397

Power Supply - 500 watt cooler master extreme
November 4, 2012 5:32:35 PM

For $600 I think I would get a completely different build. That GPU is worthless for gaming (or for just about anything else you want it to do), and Cooler Master PSUs have a horrendous reputation for false advertising. That case is junk as well.

I'd get something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-4170 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 EXTREME4 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($107.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($190.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($45.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $635.76
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

A little bit over but you get a way better case, PSU, and GPU.
m
l
November 4, 2012 8:47:18 PM

That build is going to be pretty useless for gaming, the GPU is too weak. The above build would be great though. ^^
m
l
Related resources
November 4, 2012 9:45:21 PM

He said he already has a gaming pc guys.

the motherboard is fine. the cpu is fine, although you might as well go for the FX-4300. it will be significantly faster. if you are satisfied with a GTX 630 for your GPU, then you would be just as happy with HD 4000 graphics, in which case an Intel processor would be the way to go.
m
l
November 5, 2012 12:12:43 AM

I replaced an ATI Radeon hd 6790 that I had orginally bought with my computer, with an Nvidia geforce gtx 660, so I could use that in the computer I build. So everything is fine then except for the power supply?
m
l
November 5, 2012 12:17:28 AM

Chrispurvis32 said:
I replaced an ATI Radeon hd 6790 that I had orginally bought with my computer, with an Nvidia geforce gtx 660, so I could use that in the computer I build. So everything is fine then except for the power supply?

The PSU definitely needs to be replaced. If you're reusing a 6790 that would be better than purchasing a GT630, that GPU really isn't meant for anything but the most basic functions.
m
l
November 5, 2012 12:53:32 AM

Alright cool, I had just recently bought the new video card, I bought the MSI Gtx 660 Twin Frozor off newegg, is it a good video card? I have not had any problems with it yet, I didn't know too much about what I was buying but I had done a bit of research, and wanted to get an nvidia card this time instead of AMD,so that is what I went with.

Thanks for your input guys, helps out a lot. I think my first build will go smoothly.
m
l
November 5, 2012 5:00:22 AM

Chrispurvis32 said:
Alright cool, I had just recently bought the new video card, I bought the MSI Gtx 660 Twin Frozor off newegg, is it a good video card? I have not had any problems with it yet, I didn't know too much about what I was buying but I had done a bit of research, and wanted to get an nvidia card this time instead of AMD,so that is what I went with.

Thanks for your input guys, helps out a lot. I think my first build will go smoothly.

Yeah I've heard good things about the TwinFROZR, you should be fine.
m
l
November 5, 2012 2:11:38 PM

awesome, ill use every piece you said to use except the video card, and ill go with the cpu I went with.

And another question, does Newegg have any good pre built computers that are of decent pricing? I have a friend out of state who doesn't know how to build but he wants a decent gaming computer, for a decent price.
m
l
November 5, 2012 7:26:14 PM

Chrispurvis32 said:
awesome, ill use every piece you said to use except the video card, and ill go with the cpu I went with.

And another question, does Newegg have any good pre built computers that are of decent pricing? I have a friend out of state who doesn't know how to build but he wants a decent gaming computer, for a decent price.

Most of what Newegg sells - the pre builts are usually horrible and you get ripped off in terms of what hardware you get. Or the other extreme is that they sell overpriced Cyberpower systems that go for like $400 more than if you build it yourself.
m
l
!