Sign in with
Your question

GTX 560 Ti Help!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 8, 2012 6:43:46 AM

I've recently updated my PC's graphics card to a GTX 560 Ti, hoping to get a better performance in the games I play. It will run pretty well for hours, but will suddenly die down and all the games I play will lag. I have no clue how to fix this, but i have heard somewhere about bottlenecking, and I have a feeling this might be the case, because I haven't got the best processor, it is an AMD Athlon II X2 220 @2.8ghz. A quick response would be great! Thanks.

More about : gtx 560

September 8, 2012 8:19:48 AM

That doesn't sound like a bottleneck issue. Do you use monitoring software like EVGA Precision or MSI Afterburner? If not you should download one and monitor your FPS, GPU usage, memory usage, etc. While it may not give you a simple answer, or any answer at all, it is generally a nice tool to have.

What games do you play? What are the other system components? Did you buy the GPU new or used?
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2012 8:37:48 AM

Yea use one of the programs described in the above post to monitor your temps, there is a possibility its overheating and throttling itself back.

Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2012 9:01:19 AM

trylog17 said:
.....It will run pretty well for hours, but will suddenly die down.......

this isn't bottle necking issue, something happened there....

what are your PSU ?....

edit: 560 Ti quite power hungry about 260 W by it self
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 8, 2012 9:09:32 AM

rdc85 said:
this isn't bottle necking issue, something happened there....

what are your PSU ?....

edit: 560 Ti quite power hungry about 260 W by it self

Total cobblers, they are 170w for the 384 core version and 210w for the 448 core version. :pfff: 

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt...
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2012 11:21:28 AM

weks, looks like i got it wrong,,,,,,,

Anyway thanks for the correction mousemonkey.... :D 
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 8, 2012 11:34:46 AM

rdc85 said:
weks, looks like i got it wrong,,,,,,,

Anyway thanks for the correction mousemonkey.... :D 

NP, please be aware that spreading misinformation is a violation of the T.o.S so in future check your information before making such statements. We can all make mistakes but some info is just too easy to find and therefore less easy to forgive when gotten wrong.
September 8, 2012 5:13:02 PM

fizzle22 said:
That doesn't sound like a bottleneck issue. Do you use monitoring software like EVGA Precision or MSI Afterburner? If not you should download one and monitor your FPS, GPU usage, memory usage, etc. While it may not give you a simple answer, or any answer at all, it is generally a nice tool to have.

What games do you play? What are the other system components? Did you buy the GPU new or used?

I bought the GPU new, off of Newegg. I have had MSI Afterburner for a while, but never really payed attention to it. I play games like Minecraft, ArmA II (DayZ), BF3 and some of the Call of Duty games. P.S. Thanks for the fast reply!
September 8, 2012 5:29:41 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Total cobblers, they are 170w for the 384 core version and 210w for the 448 core version. :pfff: 

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt...

Well, this whole issue looks like it might be my PSU, considering that it is only a 420w. Any suggestions on what I should get? (cheapish would be nice if possible)
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 8, 2012 6:25:29 PM

trylog17 said:
Well, this whole issue looks like it might be my PSU, considering that it is only a 420w. Any suggestions on what I should get? (cheapish would be nice if possible)

Why would it be your PSU?
a c 290 U Graphics card
September 8, 2012 6:36:18 PM

trylog17 said:

It may be, but I doubt it. What is your current power supply units and the rest of your computer specs?
September 8, 2012 7:23:17 PM

Sunius said:
It may be, but I doubt it. What is your current power supply units and the rest of your computer specs?

I'm not amazing with computers, but I've heard on other forums and youtube comments and such that I might need a better (or more watt) power supply to run the GTX 560 Ti well, because apparently it is a watt-hog. My power supply is only 420 watts, when I've heard people say you might need 550 or even 600. Since I can't think of anything else as a problem, and people say its not bottlenecking, I'm just guessing that it is the power supply. My full computer specs are below.

MY SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS

OPERATING SYSTEM:
Windows 2.6.1.7601 (Service Pack 1)
CPU TYPE:
AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 220 Processor
CPU SPEED:
2.82 GHz
SYSTEM MEMORY:
4 GB
VIDEO CARD MODEL:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
VIDEO CARD MEMORY:
2.71 GB
VIDEO CARD DRIVER:
nvd3dum.dll
DESKTOP RESOLUTION:
2048x1152
HARD DISK SIZE:
698.54 GB
HARD DISK FREE SPACE:
338.04 GB (48%)
DOWNLOAD SPEED:
1.07 MB/s (9 mbps)
a c 290 U Graphics card
September 8, 2012 7:52:31 PM

What is the make and model of your power supply unit? Which exact GTX 560 Ti is it?
September 8, 2012 9:13:44 PM

Minimum system power requirement = 500 watts according to Nvidia. Not all PSUs are the created equal, so it is quite possible you are getting less than 420 watts. While the card draws about 170w, if you overclocked it it will require even more. Also some games are more demanding than others so throw that into the mix too.

With that said, it does not seem like the PSU is the culprit but I am relatively new to the PC scene so I may very well be missing something here.
September 9, 2012 1:06:06 AM

fizzle22 said:
Minimum system power requirement = 500 watts according to Nvidia. Not all PSUs are the created equal, so it is quite possible you are getting less than 420 watts. While the card draws about 170w, if you overclocked it it will require even more. Also some games are more demanding than others so throw that into the mix too.

With that said, it does not seem like the PSU is the culprit but I am relatively new to the PC scene so I may very well be missing something here.

Thanks for the help man. I think I just might go ahead and upgrade my power supply just to see how it goes. Plus I plan on getting a new processor and such too, so I might have needed to upgrade it sooner or later anyway. Thanks again for all the feedback.

EDIT: I've also noticed, while having MSI Afterburner up, that while playing games the GPU usage is around 25 or lower when the GPU runs well, but when it starts to lag, I notice that the GPU usage goes up to 99. Could this mean bottlenecking? The GPU is working too hard?
a b U Graphics card
September 9, 2012 4:23:46 AM

Mousemonkey said:
NP, please be aware that spreading misinformation is a violation of the T.o.S so in future check your information before making such statements. We can all make mistakes but some info is just too easy to find and therefore less easy to forgive when gotten wrong.

OOT : yeah it's my mistake for not double checking my source, I'm sorry for that (i'm read some reviews site and forget to double check with nvi web)

back to topic: PC sudently dies most common indicate power problems, so my suspicion towards the PSU...

If u can try to borrow some PSU from your friends... and meanwhile when u are changing the PSU try to reseat the GPU....

a b U Graphics card
September 9, 2012 12:04:53 PM

trylog17 said:
Thanks for the help man. I think I just might go ahead and upgrade my power supply just to see how it goes. Plus I plan on getting a new processor and such too, so I might have needed to upgrade it sooner or later anyway. Thanks again for all the feedback.

EDIT: I've also noticed, while having MSI Afterburner up, that while playing games the GPU usage is around 25 or lower when the GPU runs well, but when it starts to lag, I notice that the GPU usage goes up to 99. Could this mean bottlenecking? The GPU is working too hard?

No still think its a heat a heat issue, Did you catch your temps?

Bottlenecks don't just occur after 3 hours, they would be happening all the time!
a c 290 U Graphics card
September 9, 2012 12:10:39 PM

trylog17 said:

What about core clock speed when it starts lagging?
September 9, 2012 11:03:47 PM

paddys09 said:
No still think its a heat a heat issue, Did you catch your temps?

Bottlenecks don't just occur after 3 hours, they would be happening all the time!

Well it just gets very bad after a few hours or more. I only play Minecraft with around 60 frames, which I believe this card could do way better. I got the same frames with my old GT 430. I was definitely hoping for much much more frames when I got this card, and I'm very disappointed that it doesn't work as well as I thought it would. I see people with this card record with 120 fps. And that is kind of what I was hoping for. I probably should've said that I didn't get amazing frames even when it didn't die down.
September 10, 2012 4:45:10 AM

Sunius said:
What about core clock speed when it starts lagging?

Didn't catch it. I'll try to check next time it happens.
a c 290 U Graphics card
September 10, 2012 6:26:19 PM

Okay, report back when you've got the info!
September 11, 2012 12:02:53 AM

Sunius said:
Okay, report back when you've got the info!

I haven't got the core clock speed when it lags yet, (and I will as soon as it happens) I never really mentioned, but Minecraft, which is one of the main games I play which is why I mention it specifically, on max graphics, only runs at around 50-60 fps. That cannot be right. I know a few people are in denial about bottlenecking, and I've said it plenty of times, but if Minecraft runs 50-60 fps on a GTX 560 Ti, that's ridiculous. I say this because my old graphics card, a PNY Geforce GT 430, could run it with about the same frames. 50-60 isn't great for me either, considering that it is a bit choppy when I play. Might I have to upgrade the wrest of my computer's specs to run games well? Or should I be fine with the processor I have now? (AMD Athlon II X2 220)
a c 290 U Graphics card
September 11, 2012 5:01:18 AM

Did you check GPU and CPU usage in minecraft? Does it run on 60 fps in empty world? Is Vertical Sync enabled?
September 11, 2012 11:40:58 PM

Sunius said:
Did you check GPU and CPU usage in minecraft? Does it run on 60 fps in empty world? Is Vertical Sync enabled?

Vertical sync is not enabled. I just found that the CPU usage for Minecraft is about 70-100% and the GPU usage only went up to about 40-50%. (This test was on an empty world)
a c 290 U Graphics card
September 12, 2012 10:18:30 AM

Check task manager processes tab to find out what's eating the CPU!
September 12, 2012 10:57:09 AM

You really must check the core speed and memory speed of your gtx560ti when you have those low frames.
My gtx560ti can behave the same as yours, and when that happens the core speed is locked at 400mhz. The only thing that i can do then is restart my pc and the problem is gone.
Looks to me like a bug in the power-saving feature of the 560ti.
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 12, 2012 6:16:25 PM

justme1977 said:
You really must check the core speed and memory speed of your gtx560ti when you have those low frames.
My gtx560ti can behave the same as yours, and when that happens the core speed is locked at 400mhz. The only thing that i can do then is restart my pc and the problem is gone.
Looks to me like a bug in the power-saving feature of the 560ti.

Neither of my 560Ti's do that, I think you both need to double check your settings.
September 13, 2012 2:53:53 AM

Sunius said:
Check task manager processes tab to find out what's eating the CPU!

http://tinyurl.com/8v82sxc Here is a link to a screencap of the resource monitor while running Minecraft. Which, if you didn't know, is javaw. As you can see Minecraft takes up most of the processing power. As soon as you said try to find whats eating your CPU, I thought right away, maybe GameBooster will help because that is the purpose of that program (close all background processes you don't need while gaming). So I tried it out, and nothing happened. Still pretty low frames. I need to keep Skype open, which is another one of the CPU eaters, because I'm pretty much talking to friends all day. I think for me that just buying a new processor when I get the chance might be necessary. What do you think?
a c 290 U Graphics card
September 13, 2012 4:42:26 AM

It doesn't add up. 40% from minecraft, and where is the rest of 30%? Do any of the services eat the CPU?
September 13, 2012 10:58:13 PM

Sunius said:
It doesn't add up. 40% from minecraft, and where is the rest of 30%? Do any of the services eat the CPU?

If you didn't see on the picture, it shows at the bottom of it that the services tab only takes up about 2%. So the services don't take up much space.
a c 290 U Graphics card
September 15, 2012 6:38:24 PM

You sorted the list by Status. Something else must be eating the CPU. Could you sort it by CPU usage and then upload the screenshot again?
September 16, 2012 12:04:25 AM

Sunius said:
You sorted the list by Status. Something else must be eating the CPU. Could you sort it by CPU usage and then upload the screenshot again?

Sorry about that, here is the same list with Minecraft running with it sorted by CPU. http://tinyurl.com/8s7p7c2
a c 290 U Graphics card
September 16, 2012 5:09:49 AM

Turn off gamestop app. It eats up the CPU. It should help reduce the lag. Also, why do you have C# compiler running? That uses a lot of CPU as well (not necessarily on that picture, but that's how it works).
September 16, 2012 8:59:54 AM

Sunius said:
Turn off gamestop app. It eats up the CPU. It should help reduce the lag. Also, why do you have C# compiler running? That uses a lot of CPU as well (not necessarily on that picture, but that's how it works).

After deleting a lot of the processes, I tried another test and opened Minecraft to see the CPU usage. The most space took up on anything other than Minecraft was about 2%. I still had bad FPS and the CPU usage was still around 80-100% :( 
a c 290 U Graphics card
September 16, 2012 3:05:38 PM

That means you should get an aftermarket cooler and overclock the CPU...
September 17, 2012 3:43:04 AM

Sunius said:
That means you should get an aftermarket cooler and overclock the CPU...

I was planning on doing that, but I'm not sure if my motherboard even has the overclocking feature, its a pretty cheap motherboard I believe. It is the BIOSTAR N6853+
!