trylog17

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
I've recently updated my PC's graphics card to a GTX 560 Ti, hoping to get a better performance in the games I play. It will run pretty well for hours, but will suddenly die down and all the games I play will lag. I have no clue how to fix this, but i have heard somewhere about bottlenecking, and I have a feeling this might be the case, because I haven't got the best processor, it is an AMD Athlon II X2 220 @2.8ghz. A quick response would be great! Thanks.

fizzle22

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
That doesn't sound like a bottleneck issue. Do you use monitoring software like EVGA Precision or MSI Afterburner? If not you should download one and monitor your FPS, GPU usage, memory usage, etc. While it may not give you a simple answer, or any answer at all, it is generally a nice tool to have.

What games do you play? What are the other system components? Did you buy the GPU new or used?

rdc85

Honorable

this isn't bottle necking issue, something happened there....

what are your PSU ?....

edit: 560 Ti quite power hungry about 260 W by it self

NP, please be aware that spreading misinformation is a violation of the T.o.S so in future check your information before making such statements. We can all make mistakes but some info is just too easy to find and therefore less easy to forgive when gotten wrong.

trylog17

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012

I bought the GPU new, off of Newegg. I have had MSI Afterburner for a while, but never really payed attention to it. I play games like Minecraft, ArmA II (DayZ), BF3 and some of the Call of Duty games. P.S. Thanks for the fast reply!

trylog17

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012

Well, this whole issue looks like it might be my PSU, considering that it is only a 420w. Any suggestions on what I should get? (cheapish would be nice if possible)

It may be, but I doubt it. What is your current power supply units and the rest of your computer specs?

trylog17

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012

I'm not amazing with computers, but I've heard on other forums and youtube comments and such that I might need a better (or more watt) power supply to run the GTX 560 Ti well, because apparently it is a watt-hog. My power supply is only 420 watts, when I've heard people say you might need 550 or even 600. Since I can't think of anything else as a problem, and people say its not bottlenecking, I'm just guessing that it is the power supply. My full computer specs are below.

MY SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS

OPERATING SYSTEM:
Windows 2.6.1.7601 (Service Pack 1)
CPU TYPE:
AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 220 Processor
CPU SPEED:
2.82 GHz
SYSTEM MEMORY:
4 GB
VIDEO CARD MODEL:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
VIDEO CARD MEMORY:
2.71 GB
VIDEO CARD DRIVER:
nvd3dum.dll
DESKTOP RESOLUTION:
2048x1152
HARD DISK SIZE:
698.54 GB
HARD DISK FREE SPACE:
338.04 GB (48%)
DOWNLOAD SPEED:
1.07 MB/s (9 mbps)

fizzle22

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
Minimum system power requirement = 500 watts according to Nvidia. Not all PSUs are the created equal, so it is quite possible you are getting less than 420 watts. While the card draws about 170w, if you overclocked it it will require even more. Also some games are more demanding than others so throw that into the mix too.

With that said, it does not seem like the PSU is the culprit but I am relatively new to the PC scene so I may very well be missing something here.

trylog17

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012

Thanks for the help man. I think I just might go ahead and upgrade my power supply just to see how it goes. Plus I plan on getting a new processor and such too, so I might have needed to upgrade it sooner or later anyway. Thanks again for all the feedback.

EDIT: I've also noticed, while having MSI Afterburner up, that while playing games the GPU usage is around 25 or lower when the GPU runs well, but when it starts to lag, I notice that the GPU usage goes up to 99. Could this mean bottlenecking? The GPU is working too hard?

rdc85

Honorable

OOT : yeah it's my mistake for not double checking my source, I'm sorry for that (i'm read some reviews site and forget to double check with nvi web)

back to topic: PC sudently dies most common indicate power problems, so my suspicion towards the PSU...

If u can try to borrow some PSU from your friends... and meanwhile when u are changing the PSU try to reseat the GPU....

paddys09

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011

No still think its a heat a heat issue, Did you catch your temps?

Bottlenecks don't just occur after 3 hours, they would be happening all the time!

What about core clock speed when it starts lagging?

trylog17

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012

Well it just gets very bad after a few hours or more. I only play Minecraft with around 60 frames, which I believe this card could do way better. I got the same frames with my old GT 430. I was definitely hoping for much much more frames when I got this card, and I'm very disappointed that it doesn't work as well as I thought it would. I see people with this card record with 120 fps. And that is kind of what I was hoping for. I probably should've said that I didn't get amazing frames even when it didn't die down.

trylog17

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012

I have already downloaded this driver, thanks though.

trylog17

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012

I haven't got the core clock speed when it lags yet, (and I will as soon as it happens) I never really mentioned, but Minecraft, which is one of the main games I play which is why I mention it specifically, on max graphics, only runs at around 50-60 fps. That cannot be right. I know a few people are in denial about bottlenecking, and I've said it plenty of times, but if Minecraft runs 50-60 fps on a GTX 560 Ti, that's ridiculous. I say this because my old graphics card, a PNY Geforce GT 430, could run it with about the same frames. 50-60 isn't great for me either, considering that it is a bit choppy when I play. Might I have to upgrade the wrest of my computer's specs to run games well? Or should I be fine with the processor I have now? (AMD Athlon II X2 220)