Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Future upgrade choices

Last response: in Systems
November 4, 2012 5:52:59 PM

Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you could help me. I'm looking to upgrade my pc over the coming months (mainly to be able to play games like the upcoming Dragon Age 3 and Mass Effect 4 when they come out. I'm a Bioware junkie). I can already play new games like the DA and ME series and Assassin's Creed (including 3) on pretty much max settings without a problem, and Dishonoured on middle-high settings (according to System Requirements Lab, haven't actually tried it yet). But I can tell that some things are going to need upgrading by next Autumn.

My system specs are as follows (custom PC, no whole brand name unfortunately):

700W PSU
NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 - 2 GB - (ZOTAC) - (PCI-E)
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 5.1 (PCI)
Samsung 22x DVD Re-Writer/Reader /- RW- Black - (SATA)
AMD FX 4100 (4 x 3.6 GHZ)
Asus M5A78L-M LX (AMD 760G) - VGA
8 GB 1333 MHZ (2x4GB) - (DDR3)
X-Blade Black Case
500 GB SATA-II HDD 7200 RPM 16MB

So basically, all I really need to know is what type of upgrade, for example, I am able to have DDR3 Ram up to however many GB, or I need a new power supply, or a graphics card that supports PCI whatnot. Any personal opinions are more than welcome of course!
I have taken some photos to show it, but I can't seem to find where I upload them, so.. nevermind about that.

Thank you all in advance for your time and patience! c:
Rhys

More about : future upgrade choices

November 5, 2012 5:33:36 AM

Graphics is a good place although PIC-E is what you want PIC is in the wrong way. You could also get a 2x8GB ram kit. Power supply wont need any upgrading. A after market CPU cooler is always good. I know you could pick up allot more hard drive space for not to much ether.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 5, 2012 5:59:08 AM

Well, is there any information on that power supply unit? I would go for the GPU upgrade first.
m
l
Related resources
November 7, 2012 2:06:50 PM

Wow, thanks for the quick reply guys!

I'm reading this off the PSU box, but basically, it says:
Ace ATX12V P4 Switching power Supply
AC Input: 230VAC 10A 50-60Hz, Model: A-700BR

And then a bunch of max DC output conversion charts

What shall I look out for when upgrading the GPU and the CPU Coolers? For example, any particular brands, inputs, sizes, power, etc.? I wouldn't want to go out and buy some beastly card just to have bought the wrong brand or something. That'd be more noobie than Halo's AI.

Many thanks!
m
l

Best solution

November 7, 2012 5:38:06 PM

haha well this should be helpful in looking for GPU brands (assuming your keeping it Nvidia)

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...

Just set your price range and see what you can get. You might find that you can get two two year old cards for the same price as one new one and more performance. Just make sure you know whether mother board supports Nvidia SLI or Radeon Crossfire . If its both no problem, just my ASUS M5A97 mobo only does crossfire. I can put one Nvidia card but it lacks SLI capabilities, so if I wanted to go get two old cards Id have to go with Radeon.
November 7, 2012 6:41:21 PM

And I can put two GPUs in the motherboard and run it off one monitor just fine, yeah?
And thank you for the help and the sites, it's been really useful!
m
l
November 8, 2012 2:52:30 AM

Yes you can always use just one no matter how many hookups are available. In a SLI/crossfire configuration your second card outputs dont work, only the two or what have you on the main card.
m
l
November 8, 2012 11:59:39 AM

Best answer selected by williamsr.
m
l
November 8, 2012 12:00:03 PM

Okay, cool, thank you! Now to do some GPU research. Gonna be fun..
m
l
November 9, 2012 2:42:34 AM

haha good luck, Im still looking at my upgrade options and im 4 months down. Hey and thanks for the BA selection.
m
l
!