Sign in with
Your question

A10-5800K Build

Last response: in Systems
November 4, 2012 5:54:24 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: this week (the closer the better)

Budget Range: (e.g.: 300-400) Before / After Rebates; Before / After Shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: (e.g.: Folding@Home, gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies)

Are you buying a monitor: Yes / No

Parts to Upgrade: (e.g.: CPU, mobo, RAM) **Include Power Supply Make & Model If Re-using**
-I Do NOT need a OS (I have windows 7).
-Preferred websites: Any popular UK site
-Part prefences: AMD, mainly because they're cheaper and I'm on a tight budget.
-Overclocking: No
-SLI or Crossfire: I'll probably buy a HD 6670 in the future and run it in dual graphics with my iGPU.
-Monitor: I currently do not have a monitor, I will buy it sometime later when I have the cash. I'll probably buy a 1440x900 or 1600x1200 monitor.
Approximate Purchase date: in about 2 months.
Budget range: 300-350 POUNDS
System usage: I'll mostly play online fps games that aren't graphics intensive: Combat arms, Crossfire, A.V.A...
I might play Minecraft and Modern warfare 3. I might also play Skyrim. Other than that, surfing the web, streaming HD videos.

Additional comments: I'd like the system to be quiet, this is my first build so I don't know how loud AMD stock fans are.

More about : a10 5800k build

November 4, 2012 6:11:55 PM

That's a very limited budget. Your cheapest build gonna look smth like this:
Cooler Master Elite 310, Black/Silver + 400W PSU
Asrock FM2A75M-DGS
AMD A-Series FM2, A10-5800K (4C, 3.8GHz, 4MB Cache, 100W)
Kingston 8GB, DDR3, 1866MHz, CL9, Kit Of 2, Predator Series
Western Digital 500GB, 7200rpm, 16MB, Sata III, Caviar Blue

A75 mobo provides sata 3.0 and usb 3.0
1866 MHz ram is good for integrated gpu. 1600 mhz relatively not bad too.
November 4, 2012 6:56:29 PM

For an APU build, you will want really fast RAM. 1866 MHz has at least 25% FPS increase vs. 1333 MHz, and 2133 will be really, really fast, bringing the APU to HD 6670 performance. With 1866, it'd probably run at 6570 framerates.

You don't want to use Dual Graphics, it's a little derpy, and doesn't always work well. It's usually slower than a normal 6670 on its own, so if you're going to buy a GPU later, a 7750 or a 6770 would be good budget GPUs for your price range. I've listed the 6770 to let you decide if you want to buy it or not. If you DO buy the graphics card, you can go with 1600 MHz RAM and there won't be a big difference in fram rates. Higher clocked RAM works well mostly with APUs.

Anything under a GTX 560 in terms of power usage should run fine with a ~400W power supply.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/mvJg
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/mvJg/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/mvJg/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD A10-5800K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor (£91.96 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A75M-DGS Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard (£52.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory (£59.99 @ Dabs)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£41.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£32.38 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply (£33.96 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £313.26
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

WITH THE GPU

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/mvMX
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/mvMX/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/mvMX/benchmarks/

Motherboard: ASRock FM2A75M-DGS Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard (£52.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£26.59 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£41.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7750 1GB Video Card (£78.92 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply (£33.96 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £358.78

You could run BF3 on ultra using this build at ~40 fps.

Related resources
November 4, 2012 7:45:04 PM

sonicers said:
For an APU build, you will want really fast RAM. 1866 MHz has at least 25% FPS increase vs. 1333 MHz, and 2133 will be really, really fast, bringing the APU to HD 6670 performance. With 1866, it'd probably run at 6570 framerates.

You don't want to use Dual Graphics, it's a little derpy, and doesn't always work well. It's usually slower than a normal 6670 on its own, so if you're going to buy a GPU later, a 7750 or a 6770 would be good budget GPUs for your price range. I've listed the 6770 to let you decide if you want to buy it or not. If you DO buy the graphics card, you can go with 1600 MHz RAM and there won't be a big difference in fram rates. Higher clocked RAM works well mostly with APUs.

Anything under a GTX 560 in terms of power usage should run fine with a ~400W power supply.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/mvJg
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/mvJg/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/mvJg/benchmarks/

Memory: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory (£59.99 @ Dabs)
Total: £313.26

WITH THE GPU

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/mvMX
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/mvMX/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/mvMX/benchmarks/

Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£26.59 @ Scan.co.uk)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7750 1GB Video Card (£78.92 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £358.78

You could run BF3 on ultra using this build at ~40 fps.

Go with this guys build if you wanna lose $80.

You can't crossfire the 7750 with the a10. So why bother getting it?

Anyways, look these parts up in your uk site, as I don't know how to transfer them on pcpartlist.

CPU: AMD A10-5800K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: MSI FM2-A55M-E33 Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $304.95

IF YOU WANT ADDITIONAL GRAPHICS PERFORMANCE GET A 6670 TO CROSSFIRE. It's the highest you can go.
November 4, 2012 8:07:21 PM

I disagree with what sonicer put as a build, but... everything he said was right. Don't bother with a video card - it'll be faster running it separately.

Just get the fastest ram (2400 would be ideal) you can, and a good motherboard.

And don't listen to LHCrisk - there have been plenty of studies that have shown that support for hybrid crossfire isn't up to par yet - an A10 using a 6670 as a discrete chip will be FASTER than one in hybrid crossfire.
November 4, 2012 9:16:27 PM

DarkSable said:
I disagree with what sonicer put as a build, but... everything he said was right. Don't bother with a video card - it'll be faster running it separately.

Just get the fastest ram (2400 would be ideal) you can, and a good motherboard.

And don't listen to LHCrisk - there have been plenty of studies that have shown that support for hybrid crossfire isn't up to par yet - an A10 using a 6670 as a discrete chip will be FASTER than one in hybrid crossfire.

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. You have no proof, and under certain circumstances, yes, with just the plain 6670, but many newer titles DO benefit from crossfire. So please review what you are going to post, before you post it.

Also, 2400 mhz ram will cost more, while you could just get a better gfx card / processor. Also, it will have high latency, and no, it does not help the apu to have a high speed like that.
November 4, 2012 11:23:42 PM

lchrisk said:
You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. You have no proof, and under certain circumstances, yes, with just the plain 6670, but many newer titles DO benefit from crossfire. So please review what you are going to post, before you post it.

Also, 2400 mhz ram will cost more, while you could just get a better gfx card / processor. Also, it will have high latency, and no, it does not help the apu to have a high speed like that.

Here's your proof for bad Dual Graphics performance: http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/46157-amd-a10-5800k-d...

Here's your proof that better RAM helps the APU more: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/a10-5800k-a8-5600k-...

The A10 works almost as well as an i3, so the point of the 7750 wouldn't be to Crossfire it, but rather to use it as a dedicated graphics card. You'd be getting better FPS this way than Crossfiring with a 6670 anyways, so I don't know what you're talking about.

I also find it ironic that you're telling us we have no idea what we're talking about, when you're posting an American build using USD, when OP clearly stated POUNDS. :lol: 

"Parts to Upgrade: (e.g.: CPU, mobo, RAM) **Include Power Supply Make & Model If Re-using**
-SLI or Crossfire: I'll probably buy a HD 6670 in the future and run it in dual graphics with my iGPU.
-Monitor: I currently do not have a monitor, I will buy it sometime later when I have the cash. I'll probably buy a 1440x900 or 1600x1200 monitor.
Budget range: 300-350 POUNDS "

November 4, 2012 11:43:45 PM

sonicers said:
Here's your proof for bad Dual Graphics performance: http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/46157-amd-a10-5800k-d...

Here's your proof that better RAM helps the APU more: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/a10-5800k-a8-5600k-...

The A10 works almost as well as an i3, so the point of the 7750 wouldn't be to Crossfire it, but rather to use it as a dedicated graphics card. You'd be getting better FPS this way than Crossfiring with a 6670 anyways, so I don't know what you're talking about.

I also find it ironic that you're telling us we have no idea what we're talking about, when you're posting an American build using USD, when OP clearly stated POUNDS. :lol: 

"Parts to Upgrade: (e.g.: CPU, mobo, RAM) **Include Power Supply Make & Model If Re-using**
Budget range: 300-350 POUNDS "

The first link of the APU dual graphics does not clearly show any negative influence of a graphics card with the integrated one. One fps doesn't change much, as you scroll down you can see dirt showdown takes advantage.

Also, for the ram, I never said that it didn't help to have faster ram. I have 1866 mhz, and thats as high as I would go. If you read correctly, I said it would not help "to have a high speed like that" implying that 2400 mhz would not help.

If you look at the actual benchmarks for the higher end ram with faster speeds, you would see that they do NOT in fact help the apu.

Again, read correctly. "Anyways, look these parts up in your uk site, as I don't know how to transfer them on pcpartlist."
I understood he was from a different country, which I told him to look up the parts for a different country.

"The a10 works almost as well as an i3" If you are not going to be using the integrated graphics, why still use an a10? That makes absolutely no sense, which just spilled from your mouth.

Theres no point in getting that, and getting a 7750 if you can't crossfire it. Just get a i3 and a 7750, and you will get better performance, right?

Go back to google, and research more. Maybe then you will comprehend what comes out.
November 5, 2012 12:19:32 AM

lchrisk said:
The first link of the APU dual graphics does not clearly show any negative influence of a graphics card with the integrated one. One fps doesn't change much, as you scroll down you can see dirt showdown takes advantage.

Also, for the ram, I never said that it didn't help to have faster ram. I have 1866 mhz, and thats as high as I would go. If you read correctly, I said it would not help "to have a high speed like that" implying that 2400 mhz would not help.

If you look at the actual benchmarks for the higher end ram with faster speeds, you would see that they do NOT in fact help the apu.

Again, read correctly. "Anyways, look these parts up in your uk site, as I don't know how to transfer them on pcpartlist."
I understood he was from a different country, which I told him to look up the parts for a different country.

"The a10 works almost as well as an i3" If you are not going to be using the integrated graphics, why still use an a10? That makes absolutely no sense, which just spilled from your mouth.

Theres no point in getting that, and getting a 7750 if you can't crossfire it. Just get a i3 and a 7750, and you will get better performance, right?

Go back to google, and research more. Maybe then you will comprehend what comes out.

When dirt showdown takes advantage, it's 1.4 FPS better. Would you like to contradict yourself?

If you give a link to the actual RAM benchmarks, I'll gladly look into them. Because I don't see ANY that support your theory.

Here, it shows that even with higher latencies and 2133 MHz speed, the RAM STILL gives more FPS to the APU. Yes, I googled it, as you suggested. You should too. http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/46073-amd-a10-5800k-t...

I just spilled from my mouth? The title is "A10-5800k Build." If it were not, I'd have recommended an i3. You sure do pay attention.

lchrisk said:

November 5, 2012 12:49:02 AM

sonicers said:
When dirt showdown takes advantage, it's 1.4 FPS better. Would you like to contradict yourself?

If you give a link to the actual RAM benchmarks, I'll gladly look into them. Because I don't see ANY that support your theory.

Here, it shows that even with higher latencies and 2133 MHz speed, the RAM STILL gives more FPS to the APU. Yes, I googled it, as you suggested. You should too. http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/46073-amd-a10-5800k-t...

I just spilled from my mouth? The title is "A10-5800k Build." If it were not, I'd have recommended an i3. You sure do pay attention.

2133 ram is pointless. You get a few fps boost, at a bigger cost that messes up the price : performance ratio. If you are going to be buying very fast ram, where the boost in performance is so little, why not put it elsewhere where it makes actual sense, as it would give a better boost?

I will have to go look back on the article, but I'm sure I'll find it.

Also, why does it matter what the title is? It could be Pentium build for $600. Would that be logically correct to listen to him instead of thinking about what the right choice may be? My job is to help people out with their builds. Why does it matter if he wants an a10, when he could get better? The stupidity...

Also, it's not 1.4 fps. If you were to scroll down, it's actually 17.7. Nice try though.

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/46073-amd-a10-5800k-t... Beat

1866 mhz beats 2133 3/4 of the time.

November 5, 2012 1:07:17 AM

lchrisk said:
2133 ram is pointless. You get a few fps boost, at a bigger cost that messes up the price : performance ratio. If you are going to be buying very fast ram, where the boost in performance is so little, why not put it elsewhere where it makes actual sense, as it would give a better boost?

I will have to go look back on the article, but I'm sure I'll find it.

Also, why does it matter what the title is? It could be Pentium build for $600. Would that be logically correct to listen to him instead of thinking about what the right choice may be? My job is to help people out with their builds. Why does it matter if he wants an a10, when he could get better? The stupidity...

Also, it's not 1.4 fps. If you were to scroll down, it's actually 17.7. Nice try though.

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/46073-amd-a10-5800k-t... Beat

1866 mhz beats 2133 3/4 of the time.

Yes, the Dual Graphics beats it by 17 fps, in DX9 in Dirt3, which isn't a popular game in the first place, and it is ONE of the FEW examples where Dual Graphics outperforms a single GPU. I never said Dual Graphics is bad ALL THE TIME.

Why did you get an A10, when you could get better? The stupidity... That's off the topic, but your own build could be much better.

Nice link, there's a reason I didn't use the second page, but instead the third page, of the EXACT SAME LINK. And that is because OP said he wanted to game, so I put up a link of GAMING performance using faster RAM, not the page before it, which was non-gaming benchmarks. 2133 HHz RAM has a huge performance boost, even over 1866 MHz RAM in gaming, so there you go.

By now I seriously doubt OP is still reading, and I don't even know why you still care to argue over this, when you're clearly trying to save a lost cause. But it's cool, I've got all night.

November 5, 2012 1:19:36 AM

sonicers said:
Yes, the Dual Graphics beats it by 17 fps, in DX9 in Dirt3, which isn't a popular game in the first place, and it is ONE of the FEW examples where Dual Graphics outperforms a single GPU. I never said Dual Graphics is bad ALL THE TIME.

Why did you get an A10, when you could get better? The stupidity... That's off the topic, but your own build could be much better.

Nice link, there's a reason I didn't use the second page, but instead the third page, of the EXACT SAME LINK. And that is because OP said he wanted to game, so I put up a link of GAMING performance using faster RAM, not the page before it, which was non-gaming benchmarks. 2133 HHz RAM has a huge performance boost, even over 1866 MHz RAM in gaming, so there you go.

By now I seriously doubt OP is still reading, and I don't even know why you still care to argue over this, when you're clearly trying to save a lost cause. But it's cool, I've got all night.

Just looking at your rank is just enough to say.

Why did I get an a10 you say? Because I don't have enough to get a descreet. So no, I'm not stupid. I'm thinking rationally, and how to save money. You obviously don't know how to build a budget pc, if you are going to critique my build.

You still don't understand the 2133 ram also. It's around $20 more for faster ram speeds, when you are getting a slightly higher performance difference. With that $20, why not upgrade a core component like the gpu? That'll raise fps more than a few. Now if you still don't understand, then just excuse yourself from this forums. People have no time for ignorant people who still try to front on knowing their stuff on computers. People need real answers. It's their money. You don't play around like that.
November 5, 2012 1:39:21 AM

lchrisk said:

Why did I get an a10 you say? Because I don't have enough to get a descreet. So no, I'm not stupid. I'm thinking rationally, and how to save money. You obviously don't know how to build a budget pc, if you are going to critique my build.

You still don't understand the 2133 ram also. It's around $20 more for faster ram speeds, when you are getting a slightly higher performance difference. With that $20, why not upgrade a core component like the gpu? That'll raise fps more than a few. Now if you still don't understand, then just excuse yourself from this forums. People have no time for ignorant people who still try to front on knowing their stuff on computers. People need real answers. It's their money. You don't play around like that.

My rank is your rank, first of all. So

lchrisk said:

Your CPU, RAM and MOBO costs $240. At that price point, you could've gotten an i3 2120, an ECS H61, and a GTX 560ti for the exact same price. The processor is Sandy Bridge, which means it stops getting large performance increases past 1333 MHz, which would've saved you money on the RAM side ($30), allowing for that i3 2120. That GTX 560ti certainly beats out the A10's iGP, and the i3 certainly beats out the A10 as a CPU.

You don't have to pay 12.5 pounds ($20) more for those speeds. In the UK, 1866 MHz 8 GB is minimum 36 pounds, while 2133 MHz is only 4 pounds more. You're not saving as much money as you think, and you're still talking in terms of dollars. You were close, though. You were only like, overestimating 3 times as much as it really was.

lchrisk said:
People have no time for ignorant people who still try to front on knowing their stuff on computers. People need real answers. It's their money. You don't play around like that.

November 5, 2012 1:57:48 AM

sonicers said:
My rank is your rank, first of all. So

Your CPU, RAM and MOBO costs $240. At that price point, you could've gotten an i3 2120, an ECS H61, and a GTX 560ti for the exact same price. The processor is Sandy Bridge, which means it stops getting large performance increases past 1333 MHz, which would've saved you money on the RAM side ($30), allowing for that i3 2120. That GTX 560ti certainly beats out the A10's iGP, and the i3 certainly beats out the A10 as a CPU.

You don't have to pay 12.5 pounds ($20) more for those speeds. In the UK, 1866 MHz 8 GB is minimum 36 pounds, while 2133 MHz is only 4 pounds more. You're not saving as much money as you think, and you're still talking in terms of dollars. You were close, though. You were only like, overestimating 3 times as much as it really was.

If what you said was correct, that does beat my build. Oh how I wish I went with yours. But would it have been $300? That's how much my build was, and if so, I feel terribly sad as I got slightly ripped off. But the thing is, in usd, the build would go past the $350 and maybe even $400.

And also, I was thinking of usd. I'm not familiar with uk, as I'm a resident of the U.S. And in the U.S, it is much more expensive to buy ram like that, as you could tell earlier, it would be a waste.

Btw, your rank is not my rank. Look at the hammer bud :) 
November 5, 2012 2:02:38 AM

lchrisk said:
If what you said was correct, that does beat my build. Oh how I wish I went with yours. But would it have been $300? That's how much my build was, and if so, I feel terribly sad as I got slightly ripped off. But the thing is, in usd, the build would go past the $350 and maybe even $400.

And also, I was thinking of usd. I'm not familiar with uk, as I'm a resident of the U.S. And in the U.S, it is much more expensive to buy ram like that, as you could tell earlier, it would be a waste.

Btw, your rank is not my rank. Look at the hammer bud :) 

Well congrats on finding deals like that, lol.

Off topic, I see no hammer.

November 5, 2012 2:20:27 AM

sonicers said:
Well congrats on finding deals like that, lol.

Off topic, I see no hammer.

Hahaha, thanks.

& Try refreshing. It's there man :) 
January 27, 2013 11:08:36 PM

while you two beat each other up with your vast knowledge of computers...can I ask if the integrated graphics on the Fm2 A75 can be used with the Apu;
January 28, 2013 1:01:38 AM

Uh, this feud is so funny...
and hansen no you cannot use the apu with the motherboards igpu.
January 28, 2013 1:09:59 AM

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/A0lz
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/A0lz/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/A0lz/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD A10-5800K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor (£89.94 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS8000B CPU Cooler (£21.86 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A75 Pro4-M Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard (£58.81 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£32.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Constellation ES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£43.82 @ Aria PC)
Case: Silverstone SST-RL01B-USB 3.0 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£35.16 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£36.98 @ Novatech)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£12.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £332.54
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-28 03:09 GMT+0000)

332$ with silent cooler

!