What else do I need to become a gamer?

GerbilMan24

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012
Ok, so I picked out all of the parts I will need for my first gaming computer ( thanks to some help from the Tom's Hardware community) here:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=15672874
And I got to thinking, and I realized: I have no clue what to do with this thing once I build it. So, can you guys give me some suggestions on what should be the first things I do when I'm finished building this thing, such as setting changes, software, things I should tweak, etc.? I have played games on my friends' computers before, and I seem to have a thing for simulators, third-person shooters (such as ARMA 2: DayZ and Fallout: NV), and puzzle games, but first-person shooters are okay, too. I may or may not OC in the future and get a new cooler, before anyone asks ¯\(°_o)/¯.

dane332

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
Well you do need a keyboard and mouse but you may already have that so no biggie.

An xbox 360 controller(wired plugs straight in the usb ports and works fine a wireless you need to get a receiver.) i find is nice for games that support it. like fallout nv and skyrim.

as for setting i don't think any really matters, so long as you get your drivers done correctly.

GerbilMan24

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012

I have a mouse and keyboard, so I'm all set hardware wise. I'm talking about actual software and stuff that would help me along on my path to gaming greatness. I know Steam is one, and Team Speak.

Solution