[PMA] Predictions

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 1, 2005 2:02:36 PM

What do you hope, desire or expect from this year's PMA?

More about : pma predictions

Anonymous
February 1, 2005 2:02:37 PM

Alan Browne wrote:
> What do you hope, desire or expect from this year's PMA?

A new Canon dSLR with 1D's full-frame sensor/electronics and 20D's
body. Basically, if I had the money for a 1D/1Ds I still wouldn't buy
them given their bulk.

Or, a new Minolta Maxxum 9D with a 12MP full-frame sensor ;)

Plus a nice 18-125/135mm f/2.8-xx walkaround lens from Canon in IS &
non-IS versions and USM and non-USM versions.
Ok, thats about it :)

- Siddhartha
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 7:17:13 PM

Alan Browne wrote:

> What do you hope, desire or expect from this year's PMA?

Under hope I would put a CMOS 10 Mpix Konica-Minolta full frame.

Under desire I would put a CMOS 16 Mpix Konica-Milolta full frame.
(Of course under desire, there may be the notion that I can't afford it!).

Under expect, I would not be surprised to see a Maxxum 5D which would have no
A-S and possibly a smaller display. If this were to be, I suspect K-M would
also "de-feature" it in other ways I would find unpalatable.

It would be great if K-M came out with a Maxxum 9D, full metal body (a la Maxxum
9), the large display, oversized viewfinder (say 125% of the sensor area) with
electronic flash-synch (a la Nikon D70) with 8, 10 or 12 Mpix. ISO 50 - 3200.
Non-flash based AF assist ('though I don't use AF very much, when I do, strobe
asists are ugly, distracting and power wasting.

Variations on this theme could include a pelicule approach (no mirror) with 5ms
shutter lag. A full frame sensor (so dispose with the 125% above), etc.

Of course a full frame sensor would require a larger A-S systems so more power
drain, etc. I doubt K-M will ever go full-sized sensor.

Cheers,
Alan

February 1, 2005 9:19:01 PM

To get laid

> What do you hope, desire or expect from this year's PMA?

> -- e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 10:56:45 PM

> What do you hope, desire or expect from this year's PMA?

I expect a D70 replacement- Nikon UK have just announced a £100 rebate. I
also expect a 300D/Digital Rebel replacement, as the rebate has just
finished.

If not PMA, then Photokina.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 10:56:46 PM

Martin Francis wrote:

> "Alan Browne" <alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
>

>>What do you hope, desire or expect from this year's PMA?
>

> I expect a D70 replacement- Nikon UK have just announced a £100 rebate. I
> also expect a 300D/Digital Rebel replacement, as the rebate has just
> finished.

Recently somebody posted a French site link with several new Nikon bodies shown
in small phots. Never was clear whether or not it was real or hoax, but looked
real enough.

Cheers,
Alan.

February 1, 2005 10:56:46 PM

"Martin Francis" <mcsalty@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Alan Browne" <alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
> >

> > What do you hope, desire or expect from this year's PMA?
>
> I expect a D70 replacement- Nikon UK have just announced a £100 rebate. I
> also expect a 300D/Digital Rebel replacement, as the rebate has just
> finished.
>
> If not PMA, then Photokina.

Not likely for the Nikon as it's less than a year old. Nikon UK is just
dropping the price to match North America. Possibly a 350D but again it has
a good position as the least expensive dSLR on the market, it has similar
specs to it's competition.
February 1, 2005 10:56:47 PM

I gathered as many of the Nikon D200 hoax images here;

http://www.darrelllarose.ca/gallery/NikonD200

> Martin Francis wrote:
>
> > "Alan Browne" <alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
> >

> >>What do you hope, desire or expect from this year's PMA?
> >

> > I expect a D70 replacement- Nikon UK have just announced a £100 rebate.
> > also expect a 300D/Digital Rebel replacement, as the rebate has just
> > finished.
>
> Recently somebody posted a French site link with several new Nikon bodies
shown
> in small phots. Never was clear whether or not it was real or hoax, but
looked
> real enough.
>
> Cheers,
> Alan.

> -- e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 11:21:36 PM

> Canongirly wrote:
>
>> To get laid
>
> Unlikely.

Speak from experience?
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 11:21:37 PM

Canongirly wrote:

> "Alan Browne" <alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
>
>> Canongirly wrote:
>>
>>> To get laid
>>

>> Unlikely.
>>
> Speak from experience?

Yours.

February 2, 2005 2:11:43 AM

"Darrell" <dev/null> wrote in message
>I gathered as many of the Nikon D200 hoax images here;
>
> http://www.darrelllarose.ca/gallery/NikonD200

I suspect D200 won't come, at least not yet. A D80 i'd understand- the name
makes more sense, as I believe that (like Canon, Pentax and Minolta) they
will capitalise on the recognised branding of their film bodies. I remember
the disappointment that the D100 was nothing like the F100.

The name D100 will go into the "marketing anomalies" along with the D30 and
D60, and hopefully one day the *ist.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 3:06:04 AM

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 19:56:45 -0000, "Martin Francis"
<mcsalty@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I expect a D70 replacement- Nikon UK have just announced a £100 rebate. I
>also expect a 300D/Digital Rebel replacement, as the rebate has just
>finished.
>
>If not PMA, then Photokina.

You do realise that Photokina is only held on alternate years and the
next one is in 2006?

That said, the 300D was announced around the time of PMA (September)
but in a year when the show wasn't held, presumably to hit the
Christmas market. I wouldn't be surprised to see the same thing
happen this year, although there have been a few plausible sounding
rumours that around we might see something at PMA. A new Nikon does
seem certain though, although the rumours seem to be divided between a
D50 and a D90, and the spec is anyone's guess...

Personally, I'm quite happy with my EOS 10D and would be more than
satisfied with some nice new lenses to lust after!

Andy
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 3:42:46 AM

"Canongirly" <me@me.com> writes:

> "Alan Browne" <alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
>>
>> What do you hope, desire or expect from this year's PMA?

> To get laid

Which, though?
February 2, 2005 9:18:06 AM

Alan Browne wrote:
>What do you hope, desire or expect from this year's PMA?

I expect one of the "Big Four" manufacturers (but not Canon)
will show new DSLR body with full frame sensor.
I hope and desire it will be Pentax. :)
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 2:24:20 PM

Andy Blanchard wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 19:56:45 -0000, "Martin Francis"
> <mcsalty@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>I expect a D70 replacement- Nikon UK have just announced a £100 rebate. I
>>also expect a 300D/Digital Rebel replacement, as the rebate has just
>>finished.
>>
>>If not PMA, then Photokina.
>

> You do realise that Photokina is only held on alternate years and the
> next one is in 2006?
>
> That said, the 300D was announced around the time of PMA (September)

PMA is usually in mid-late February each year.

300D was announced in Aug 2003 so a non-Photokina year and many months ahead of PMA.

Photokina is always in the early autumn (every 2 years).

February 2, 2005 4:44:03 PM

"Canongirly" <me@me.com> wrote in message
> To get laid

I second that ;)
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 8:06:43 PM

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 11:24:20 -0500, Alan Browne
<alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:

>> That said, the 300D was announced around the time of PMA (September)
>
>PMA is usually in mid-late February each year.

Sorry, got my shows mixed up. I *meant* to type "the time of
Photokina (September)", hence the bit about a year when the show
wasn't held afterward.

Andy
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 8:06:44 PM

Andy Blanchard wrote:

> On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 11:24:20 -0500, Alan Browne
> <alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
>

>>>That said, the 300D was announced around the time of PMA (September)
>>
>>PMA is usually in mid-late February each year.
>

> Sorry, got my shows mixed up. I *meant* to type "the time of
> Photokina (September)", hence the bit about a year when the show
> wasn't held afterward.

No excuses. Shoot youself. ;-)

Cheers,
Alan

February 4, 2005 12:37:16 AM

"Andy Blanchard" <andyb@localhost.localdomain> wrote in message
news:p p5001hjasvjohj1kr8ir7s4eg3p4hs7o9@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 19:56:45 -0000, "Martin Francis"
> <mcsalty@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I expect a D70 replacement- Nikon UK have just announced a £100 rebate. I
>>also expect a 300D/Digital Rebel replacement, as the rebate has just
>>finished.
>>
>>If not PMA, then Photokina.
>
> You do realise that Photokina is only held on alternate years and the
> next one is in 2006?

nope, didn't. whatever do the people of Koln do for the rest of the time?
February 4, 2005 12:37:17 AM

> "Andy Blanchard" <andyb@localhost.localdomain> wrote in message
> news:p p5001hjasvjohj1kr8ir7s4eg3p4hs7o9@4ax.com...
> > On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 19:56:45 -0000, "Martin Francis"
> > <mcsalty@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >>I expect a D70 replacement- Nikon UK have just announced a £100 rebate.
> >>also expect a 300D/Digital Rebel replacement, as the rebate has just
> >>finished.
> >>
> >>If not PMA, then Photokina.
> >
> > You do realise that Photokina is only held on alternate years and the
> > next one is in 2006?
>
> nope, didn't. whatever do the people of Koln do for the rest of the time?

Drink German beer?
!