Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Looking for assistance with upgrading a Compaq CQ5110F for gaming!

Last response: in Systems
November 4, 2012 7:06:58 PM

Ok, so Im trying to upgrade a Compaq Presario CQ5110F PC but Im finding alot of posts saying one thing will work, and others saying it wont work.
Anyways, My PC specs are: 300W Lite-On PSU - M2N68-LA (Narra6-GI6) Mobo - AMD Athlon x2 7550 2.5GHz - 3GB RAM - EVGA GeForce 220GT 1GB - 320GB HDD - Vista 32-bit OS.

I was thinking about buying an AMD Phenom II x4 960T BE 3.0/3.4GHz Turbo CPU with Kingston 2 x 2GB DDR2 240-pin SDRAM 800MHz, Thermaltake W0382RU 750W Modular Active PSU, and an EVGA 550Ti 1GB. However, this would be my first time upgrading a PC aside from the video card, I just wanted to make sure that everything would be compatible, and I also want to avoid bottlenecking the video card I get for it. The monitor resolution Ill be playing on is 1440 x 900.

Im trying to put the best hardware in it that I can .. the 220GT really isnt bad for games like WoW but it struggles with games like SW:TOR and Rift.

If anyone can come up with a better setup than that please post the specs ... I'm trying to avoid breaking $450 - but I will if I have to.
November 4, 2012 8:48:36 PM

The BIOS in your MB must support the CPU. Hp/Compaq has lists on their MB page of the CPUs supported. Make sure what you want is supported.

Your MB BIOS will not let you overclock the Black Edition CPU, check for similar frequency in a non-BE part. Or be happy with the BE part even though you can't OC it.

By "avoid bottlenecking the video card" do you mean you want the graphics to be the bottleneck instead of the CPU? One of the parts you have is always the bottleneck that keeps frame rates from rising. That's all that bottleneck means for gaming. The limiting factor that keeps frame rates from rising.

Alternative would be stuffing an HD7770 into your current system, keeping the current PSU and CPU and seeing if you have enough game. The HD7770 is low enough power it does not need the PSU swap. (But if the x2 7550 2.5GHz plus the Hd7770 don't give you enough game then you might end up wishing you got the 550ti -- the 550ti is faster, jsut needs another 30-60 watts depending on how much you OC it).
m
l
Related resources
November 4, 2012 8:56:00 PM

maybe better to get a new mobo too.
m
l
November 4, 2012 10:19:21 PM

@tsnor

By "avoid bottlenecking the video card" I mean Iwant the videocard to be the bottleneck.. I think - it would be better that way, wouldnt it? for the fact that the cpu wouldnt be holding the card back, more or less letting the video card do what it does with its own limitations. --that would make sense, right? or would that put alot of stress on the cpu or something?

And what would a good x4 processor be that I can overclock? Im tryig to do the best I can for the processor, my mobo specs say itll support AM2+ / AM2+ does support AM3, just not AM3+ from what ive read - or would that be more of a BIOS support thing or just dependent on the cpu itself?

Actually the 960T isnt supported - just checked on the mobo specs ... it will however support an AMD Phenom II x4 945 or an AMD Athlon II x4 645 --- However I cannotfind which one of these are actually better for gaming though Im going to assume the Phenom is better - correct me if Im wrong on that.
They both require 95W. If there is anything better than the two of those let me know please.

Another thing I was curious about is - would I have to OC one of those processors and an HD7770/550Ti to see good performance? And it wouldnt affect my mobo or ram or anything would it? -- I havent looked into overclocking to much... not really sure of the risks/damage it can actually do...

m
l

Best solution

November 5, 2012 1:48:53 AM

Legionheir said:
@tsnor

<snip>
And what would a good x4 processor be that I can overclock? Im trying to do the best I can for the processor, my mobo specs say itll support AM2+ / AM2+ does support AM3, just not AM3+ from what ive read - or would that be more of a BIOS support thing or just dependent on the cpu itself?
<snip> ... it will however support an AMD Phenom II x4 945 or an AMD Athlon II x4 645 --- However I cannot find which one of these are actually better for gaming though I'm going to assume the Phenom is better - correct me if Im wrong on that.
They both require 95W. If there is anything better than the two of those let me know please.

Another thing I was curious about is - would I have to OC one of those processors and an HD7770/550Ti to see good performance? And it wouldn't affect my mobo or ram or anything would it? -- I haven't looked into overclocking to much... not really sure of the risks/damage it can actually do...

Hi,

The last page of this reference rates all CPU against each other. I like the tier format. Three tiers is considered minimum to really see a difference. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...

The Compaq MB BIOS you have will not let you overclock the CPU. AMD and NVIDIA set things up so its easy to do a mild OC of their GPUs. So think OC of video, not of processor.

Overclocking is always a risk, a mild overclock is a very small risk, a heavy OC is a greater risk of failing the card. Running the CPU and GPU eventually will cause them to fail (I don't understand the mechanics of this, google electromigration, however the failure curve for electronics over time is well understood). Consumer parts are very stable with low chance of fail over their useful life. By overclocking you shorten the useful life of the part, but most everyone upgrades before the part fails so the risk is seen as slight. Overclocking also increases the chance of a transient error leading to incorrect results that may or may not be detected. I don't OC my CPU, I do a mild OC of my primary PC's GPU. I have a second PC I use with an older 3850 GPU -- I OC the snot out of it to get it to where it can game OK. When it fails it'll get replaced. I would never OC the PC that runs turbo tax each year.

No you don't need to OC to get good performance. OC'ing is a way of getting more than you paid for.
!