Dark Ages : Hansa cities info

In the spirit of trying to get something off the ground, does anyone
have any ideas about the cities of the Hanse in the DA setting?

The Hanseatic League first really takes official form in 1241, when
Hamburg (which has an outline in DA : Europe) signs a treaty with
Lubeck (which has no information that I know of). Since the Hanseatic
League are such big players in northern Europe for the next 250 years
or so, Lubeck in particular looks like a great place to base a Dark
Ages campaign. Your characters are there at the establishment of a
major power in commerce in politics in Europe, so Vampires will feel
right at home. For your Werewolves, we have the Danish peninsula to
the north, and forested areas to the south. This territory is in
Vaelderman, Old Faith, Hermetic and Spirit-Talker areas just off the
top of my head, so your Mages are catered for. If you want to use the
excellent DA : Inquisitor material, then all of the Orders are viable,
and then when DA : Fae appears, we're slap-bang in German folk-lore
areas.

So this is a great area to set a campaign. Does anyone have any
information on Lubeck both in the DA material, or from historical
sources, that might be useful? I have a fair amount of information,
but there's all sorts of things I'd like to know. In particular, what
buildings exist in Lubeck in 1230?

Or does anyone have any ideas of interesting DA settings?

Cheers,

Charlie

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 20:19:52 +0100, Charlie B
<msrfx@remove_to_mail.fsmail.net> wrote:

>In the spirit of trying to get something off the ground, does anyone
>have any ideas about the cities of the Hanse in the DA setting?
>
>The Hanseatic League first really takes official form in 1241, when
>Hamburg (which has an outline in DA : Europe) signs a treaty with
>Lubeck (which has no information that I know of). Since the Hanseatic
>League are such big players in northern Europe for the next 250 years
>or so, Lubeck in particular looks like a great place to base a Dark
>Ages campaign. Your characters are there at the establishment of a
>major power in commerce in politics in Europe, so Vampires will feel
>right at home. For your Werewolves, we have the Danish peninsula to
>the north, and forested areas to the south. This territory is in
>Vaelderman, Old Faith, Hermetic and Spirit-Talker areas just off the
>top of my head, so your Mages are catered for. If you want to use the
>excellent DA : Inquisitor material, then all of the Orders are viable,
>and then when DA : Fae appears, we're slap-bang in German folk-lore
>areas.
>
>So this is a great area to set a campaign. Does anyone have any
>information on Lubeck both in the DA material, or from historical
>sources, that might be useful? I have a fair amount of information,
>but there's all sorts of things I'd like to know. In particular, what
>buildings exist in Lubeck in 1230?
>
>Or does anyone have any ideas of interesting DA settings?

Hello,

may I ask you if you can read german ?

I am from Luebeck and there are lots of books about Haneatic and
Luebeckan History in german.

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 21:42:12 +0200, Christoph Lühr
<nosferatu@foni.net> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>may I ask you if you can read german ?
>
>I am from Luebeck and there are lots of books about Haneatic and
>Luebeckan History in german.

Hello Christoph,

Firstly, sorry for misspelling your home city - the umlaut is not
coming through properly for me!

Secondly, yes, I have some German, but I doubt it's really up to the
level required for a serious historical text. Having struggled though
www.luebeck.de, I'm pretty sure of that!

I have read a few books, but I'm especially interested in information
about medieval Luebeck. I do know that the base date for the DA line,
1230, is happily also the year that the basilica of the cathedral (to
whom is it dedicated?) was completed, which is a nice way to start a
campaign. But if you can point me at anything useful, I'd be very
grateful.

Cheers,

Charlie

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 22:09:00 +0200, Kharn <tdt_kharn@gmx.de> wrote:

>have you already tried this link?
>and the other below for lübeck...
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanseatic_League
>
>cya
>sebastian

Hi Sebastian,

Yes, I have, and very useful information it is too. Well worth it for
any Dark Ages ST who wants a good setting.

One interesting quirk of the UK educational system used to be (and I
am now quite old!) that although we don't get taught a lot about
European history in general, my school spent several months teaching
us about the Hanseatic League when I was 8 or 9. As a result, I have
carried an interest in it with me ever since. Dark Ages finally gives
me an opportunity to use this interest!

Cheers,

Charlie