Your question

[HELP] Radeon HD 7870

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 8, 2012 1:11:41 PM

Hello!

I'm new to the forums, and new to working with computer parts in general.

I've recently bought a Radeon HD 7870, so I'm able to run games more efficiently, etc, etc.
It says on the side that a 500W+ power supply, and two 75W 6-pin PCI Express power conectors are 'reccommended'

Now, we plugged it into the computer properly, got the fan going on it, and all that.
It's a HDMI graphics card, so we hooked it upto my TV with the HDMI cables, but we got no picture.
We tried all the different channels (HDMI, PC, DTV, etc) but nothing came up.

My current graphics card works fine, it's a Nvidia one

I have a 700W power supply, so that's no problem, but I only have one 6-pin power connector.
Is that what I need to make it work? (The power connector)

More about : radeon 7870

September 8, 2012 1:27:03 PM

100% sure?
Need to be certain!
Related resources
September 8, 2012 1:27:48 PM

GreenDutchAlien said:
In addition to that ; what powersupply is it ? (brand/model )

Not exactly sure, any easy way to check? (Without popping the case open)
September 8, 2012 1:29:36 PM

In addition to that ; what powersupply is it ? (brand/model )
September 8, 2012 1:30:38 PM

Yah.

You can try a molex adapter for the second one but it's not something i can recommend.

You could try that for now to see if it works ( adapters ain't expensive ) but when that works i really should buy a decent psu with two connectors. Corsair, Antec, XFX, Seasonic, OCZ are good brands.
September 8, 2012 1:33:42 PM

Yes it needs 2 pcie 6pin connectors. You can purchase a molex to pcie 6pin adapter
(2 50w molex to 1 75w pcie 6pin) for relatively cheap. It may depend on the brand
and model of your psu, but I would go out on a limb and say about any 700w unit
should work fine.
September 8, 2012 1:34:14 PM

JaffaCake_25 said:
Not exactly sure, any easy way to check? (Without popping the case open)

What brand/model pc do you have ?
September 8, 2012 1:35:52 PM

robjordy beat me to it by 2 seconds. What, it's so hard to take the side panel off the case?
September 8, 2012 1:41:28 PM

GreenDutchAlien said:
Well, there it says a 350W, you upgraded the psu ?

Not exactly sure whether I did or not.. (Wasn't the one who actually bought it)
But the little black power supply box inside says 700W on the side of it.
September 8, 2012 1:43:11 PM

Well, there it says a 350W, you upgraded the psu ?
September 8, 2012 1:47:09 PM

Ok, to be complete sure you'll have to open the case i'm afraid and look how much amps there are on the +12V rail(s).

Or just try the molex adapter.
September 8, 2012 1:50:29 PM

Like I said though man, I don't know close to anything about computer parts.
I have one 75W 6-Pin PCIE connector, and a 700W power supply.

I just need a yes or no answer really, bro.
With them parts (75W 6-Pin PCIE connector, and a 700W power supply) do I need two connectors to get an actual display?
September 8, 2012 1:55:58 PM

GreenDutchAlien said:
Don't cry though if the magic smoke escapes.

Mind explaining a bit about what you mean?
September 8, 2012 2:02:02 PM

You really need to consider buying a better power supply. They aren't that hard to change out--all the connectors are keyed and will only go on one way.

It would be a shame to have bought such a nice graphics card for a couple of hundred dollars, only to lose it and your system because you won't buy a good power supply for less than a hundred. Just sayin'.
September 8, 2012 2:03:50 PM

seamus_ar said:
You really need to consider buying a better power supply. They aren't that hard to change out--all the connectors are keyed and will only go on one way.

It would be a shame to have bought such a nice graphics card for a couple of hundred dollars, only to lose it and your system because you won't buy a good power supply for less than a hundred. Just sayin'.

I don't exactly see how you can judge the quality of my current power supply when all I have you was the power.
And nonetheless, it's 200W more than what it requires, so there shouldn't be a problem.
September 8, 2012 2:17:46 PM

You've not given us anything by which we could judge the power supply, except that it's 700W and only has one connector, which isn't promising.

If you could give a brand and model number, you could get much higher quality feedback on whether or not you need to replace it.
September 8, 2012 2:35:54 PM

JaffaCake_25 said:
Mind explaining a bit about what you mean?

Computers work on magic smoke, when the smoke escapes it doesn't work anymore . . .

I've heard from 700W psu's who only could deliver 350-400W. Like Seamus_ar says ; the fact that it only has one power connector isn't promising.
September 8, 2012 2:36:52 PM

You have to open the case anyways to hook up another 6 pin power connector to the card whether it be by adapter or not, so while you have it open why not just look at the psu and tell us what brand it is and what the amps are on the 12v rails. All of this information will be on a sticker on the power supply.
!