Elemental Affinities

As far as I remember, the various WW splats that are divided by
elemental nature are:

1) Kuei-Jin (up until the Fourth Age)
2) Hsien
3) Demons
4) Fey
5) Dragon-Blooded
6) Dragon Kings

(Interesting that, while both recognize Fire, Earth, Water, and Wood,
Exalted's schema has Air, while the WoD has Metal; in Exalted, Metal
is covered by Earth, while in the WoD, Air seems to be part of Water.
Also of interest is that Demon recognizes all six of those...)

Any others?

Furthermore, in a crossover game, would you allow characters of one
element a bonus against effects of the opposing element? For ex,
should a water-aspected Hsien defending against a Demon's fiery attack
get a defensive bonus?

Lastly, if you could have Elemental powers of your own, which of the
above's would you choose? And what element would you favor?

Dex

"Hand-of-Omega" <smilinglord@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> As far as I remember, the various WW splats that are divided by
> elemental nature are:
>
> 1) Kuei-Jin (up until the Fourth Age)
> 2) Hsien
> 3) Demons
> 4) Fey
> 5) Dragon-Blooded
> 6) Dragon Kings
>
> (Interesting that, while both recognize Fire, Earth, Water, and Wood,
> Exalted's schema has Air, while the WoD has Metal; in Exalted, Metal
> is covered by Earth, while in the WoD, Air seems to be part of Water.
> Also of interest is that Demon recognizes all six of those...)
>
> Any others?
>
> Furthermore, in a crossover game, would you allow characters of one
> element a bonus against effects of the opposing element? For ex,
> should a water-aspected Hsien defending against a Demon's fiery attack
> get a defensive bonus?

Only if he comes up with some way to
a) Use an elemental power in his defense,
or b) Show off his elemental nature (if this is combat occuring in the
umbra, it shouldn't be too hard - but just a flat +2 soak dice vs. all fire
attacks for water-aligned creatures is a bit much, IMO. I have no problem
/giving/ it, so long as the player does something to /evoke/ it -
Stunt-dice-style, you know? Coolness must be rewarded.)

> Lastly, if you could have Elemental powers of your own, which of the
> above's would you choose? And what element would you favor?

I'd be Earth, though I happen to like Water much too.

On 5 Jun 2004 22:58:41 -0700, smilinglord@hotmail.com (Hand-of-Omega)
wrote:

>As far as I remember, the various WW splats that are divided by
>elemental nature are:
>
>1) Kuei-Jin (up until the Fourth Age)
>2) Hsien
>3) Demons
>4) Fey
>5) Dragon-Blooded
>6) Dragon Kings

Remember, Ars Magica used to be a WW game.

>(Interesting that, while both recognize Fire, Earth, Water, and Wood,
>Exalted's schema has Air, while the WoD has Metal; in Exalted, Metal
>is covered by Earth, while in the WoD, Air seems to be part of Water.
>Also of interest is that Demon recognizes all six of those...)
>
>Any others?
>
>Furthermore, in a crossover game, would you allow characters of one
>element a bonus against effects of the opposing element? For ex,
>should a water-aspected Hsien defending against a Demon's fiery attack
>get a defensive bonus?

Generally speaking, no. After all, water boils.

>Lastly, if you could have Elemental powers of your own, which of the
>above's would you choose? And what element would you favor?

Air, definitely air.

>Dex

"Hand-of-Omega" <smilinglord@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Your email address is not accepting anything. Spam trap?

"James Stein" <NoSpamForMeThanks@si.rr.com> wrote in message news:<5YLwc.108860$Nn4.23810282@twister.nyc.rr.com>...
> "Hand-of-Omega" <smilinglord@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>

> Your email address is not accepting anything. Spam trap?

Yeah, if you mean in the sense that it lets spam in, but won't let it
back out! Zing! Heh, heh, still pushing that envelope...

But seriously, have you been trying to reach me? It should work now.
I've cleaned three or four months of junk out of it, so I figure I'll
get any messages sent for the next couple days...

Dex,
sure that Virtual Adepts never have this problem...

"James Stein" <NoSpamForMeThanks@si.rr.com> wrote in message news:<lpEwc.70943$mX.23789804@twister.nyc.rr.com>...
> "Hand-of-Omega" <smilinglord@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > Furthermore, in a crossover game, would you allow characters of one
> > element a bonus against effects of the opposing element? For ex,
> > should a water-aspected Hsien defending against a Demon's fiery attack
> > get a defensive bonus?
>
> Only if he comes up with some way to
> a) Use an elemental power in his defense,
> or b) Show off his elemental nature (if this is combat occuring in the
> umbra, it shouldn't be too hard - but just a flat +2 soak dice vs. all fire
> attacks for water-aligned creatures is a bit much, IMO. I have no problem
> /giving/ it, so long as the player does something to /evoke/ it -
> Stunt-dice-style, you know? Coolness must be rewarded.)

Isnt' there a correspondance chart in some WW book that shows which
Element is effective against which?

> > Lastly, if you could have Elemental powers of your own, which of the
> > above's would you choose? And what element would you favor?
>
> I'd be Earth, though I happen to like Water much too.

In the Exalted schema?

Dex

rgormannospam@telusplanet.net (David Johnston) wrote in message news:<40c37262.5557526@news.telusplanet.net>...
> On 5 Jun 2004 22:58:41 -0700, smilinglord@hotmail.com (Hand-of-Omega)
> wrote:
>
> >As far as I remember, the various WW splats that are divided by
> >elemental nature are:
> >
> >1) Kuei-Jin (up until the Fourth Age)
> >2) Hsien
> >3) Demons
> >4) Fey
> >5) Dragon-Blooded
> >6) Dragon Kings
>
> Remember, Ars Magica used to be a WW game.

Awoo?

> >Furthermore, in a crossover game, would you allow characters of one
> >element a bonus against effects of the opposing element? For ex,
> >should a water-aspected Hsien defending against a Demon's fiery attack
> >get a defensive bonus?
>
> Generally speaking, no. After all, water boils.

Hsien, at least, can enhance elemental effects with Yin/Yang...Not
sure about the others, tho...

> >Lastly, if you could have Elemental powers of your own, which of the
> >above's would you choose? And what element would you favor?
>
> Air, definitely air.

Why so?

Dex,
currently finding Wood cool...

> "James Stein" <NoSpamForMeThanks@si.rr.com> wrote in message
> > "Hand-of-Omega" <smilinglord@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> > > Furthermore, in a crossover game, would you allow characters of one
> > > element a bonus against effects of the opposing element? For ex,
> > > should a water-aspected Hsien defending against a Demon's fiery attack
> > > get a defensive bonus?
> >
> > Only if he comes up with some way to
> > a) Use an elemental power in his defense,
> > or b) Show off his elemental nature (if this is combat occuring in the
> > umbra, it shouldn't be too hard - but just a flat +2 soak dice vs. all
fire
> > attacks for water-aligned creatures is a bit much, IMO. I have no
problem
> > /giving/ it, so long as the player does something to /evoke/ it -
> > Stunt-dice-style, you know? Coolness must be rewarded.)
> >
> Isnt' there a correspondance chart in some WW book that shows which
> Element is effective against which?

Not that I can recall, though I have a sneaking suspicion I might find it I
go look in the Gypsies book.

> > > Lastly, if you could have Elemental powers of your own, which of the
> > > above's would you choose? And what element would you favor?
> >
> > I'd be Earth, though I happen to like Water much too.
>
> In the Exalted schema?

Mhm.

> "James Stein" <NoSpamForMeThanks@si.rr.com> wrote in message
> > "Hand-of-Omega" <smilinglord@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >

> > Your email address is not accepting anything. Spam trap?
>
> Yeah, if you mean in the sense that it lets spam in, but won't let it
> back out! Zing! Heh, heh, still pushing that envelope...
>
> But seriously, have you been trying to reach me? It should work now.
> I've cleaned three or four months of junk out of it, so I figure I'll
> get any messages sent for the next couple days...

Just tried e-mailing you. Got bounced back again.

On 8 Jun 2004 20:21:28 -0700, smilinglord@hotmail.com (Hand-of-Omega)
wrote:

>> >Furthermore, in a crossover game, would you allow characters of one
>> >element a bonus against effects of the opposing element? For ex,
>> >should a water-aspected Hsien defending against a Demon's fiery attack
>> >get a defensive bonus?
>>
>> Generally speaking, no. After all, water boils.
>
>Hsien, at least, can enhance elemental effects with Yin/Yang...Not
>sure about the others, tho...

Yes, but but I wasn't talking about their magic powers but the
character. If a given character has a power that, say lets them
create a wall of water then that could be used to protect against
fire and vice versa but the characters wouldn't have an innate
bonus unless specifically mentioned.

>> >Lastly, if you could have Elemental powers of your own, which of the
>> >above's would you choose? And what element would you favor?
>>
>> Air, definitely air.
>>
>Why so?

The idea of walking forward in the eye of a whirlwind
is just an image that catches my imagination.

"James Stein" <NoSpamForMeThanks@si.rr.com> wrote in message news:<_BExc.171595$WA4.17604@twister.nyc.rr.com>...
> "Hand-of-Omega" <smilinglord@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > > Your email address is not accepting anything. Spam trap?
> >
> > Yeah, if you mean in the sense that it lets spam in, but won't let it
> > back out! Zing! Heh, heh, still pushing that envelope...
> >
> > But seriously, have you been trying to reach me? It should work now.
> > I've cleaned three or four months of junk out of it, so I figure I'll
> > get any messages sent for the next couple days...
> >

> Just tried e-mailing you. Got bounced back again.

Odd, I have been getting mail from other people...

Try this one: handofomega@hotmail.com

If that doesn't work, I'll start sending pigeons.^^

Dex,
still waiting for his damned ItX brain implant...