Sign in with
Your question

Gaming laptop 1500$ budget

Last response: in Systems
November 4, 2012 10:01:19 PM

Hello forum,

I'm trying to decide on which laptop to buy for my new gaming system. I am an airline pilot and travel a lot; currently have a Dell XPS1640 which is about 4 years old now and showing signs of use... I can barely play any games on this thing as it is.

I was looking for a 15 inch laptop with a 1500$ budget but couldn't make a choice of which laptop. Currently I have been looking between the MSI gx60, MSI gt60, and ASUS G55VW.

Another question of mine is it worth to have a SSD? If I were to purchase one would I be able to raid it with another hardrive for extra storage without the high cost?

Thank you all for your time and future suggestions.

Robert
a b D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
November 5, 2012 4:06:33 PM

specific games?
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
November 5, 2012 7:11:59 PM

Hi Rob, let me try to answer some questions for you.

An SSD in a laptop makes a big difference. They work faster, especially booting up windows when it's been shut down is several times faster with SSD than an HDD. Another point to make is if you have have to use your laptop on battery, SSD consumes less battery power to operate as compared to HDD. And, SSD has no moving parts, so if you use your computer on the go you have less to worry about sudden shakes when the harddrive is working. (if you use the laptop primarily on a desk while plugged into the wall outlet then the last two points don't matter as much).

No, you will not be able to RAID an SSD with HDD. The drives need to be of same capacity. So, technically you might be able to raid them, but you will only be able to have HDD capacity equal to SSD capacity.

Could you give links to the exact models you're looking at buying? Those laptops are customizable, which a lot of resellers do, so without having a specific link it's hard to say what you're looking at.

And which parts were you undecided about besides the SSD?

As a side note, I can advise to take a look at Sager laptops, they are a bit more low key, but offer same quality and hardware as the other two companies you've listed.

Here's a website that you might find helpful in evaluating approximate performance of the laptop GPU:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-G...
m
l
Related resources
November 5, 2012 8:16:37 PM

hey I would suggest the gt60 of the laptops you listed it has the best graphics card/cpu combo. Also You may want to post this in the laptop forum. An SSD is nice but it has almost no effect on gaming other then load times.
m
l
November 6, 2012 7:55:25 PM

Hey thanks for the replies... I like to play Total War games, Diablo 3, and Civilization 5.

So if I wanted to get an SSD what should you suggest size wise for the operating system on it?

Would you suggest a Sager over the MSI GT60?
m
l
November 6, 2012 8:15:57 PM

Sager is a good brand. I cant say if its better. It has a lot more options then the gt60. I like my gt70 but there are a lot more gt70 models. If you just have 1 drive 256GB, or if you get a hdd as well then I would go 128GB.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
November 6, 2012 9:23:22 PM

if you couple the SSD with and HDD for storage (most high end laptops will have extra drive bay) 64-128gb will be more than plenty for operating system.

if extra drive bays aren't available, what your options are is to get momentus XT drive which is basically a hard drive that has a small SSD attached to it that it uses for write caching.

alternatively you could get an mSATA SSD and HDD and use the mSATA as write cache for HDD through intel's SRT (smart response technology). in this case the mSATA doesn't need to be huge a 20-40gb will don fine. Maximum is 64Gb I believe.
m
l
!