Sign in with
Your question

Rate my build 1-10 and in return I'll lova ya!

Last response: in Systems
November 4, 2012 10:27:17 PM

Simply rate my build between one and ten and I'll give you a bucket ol' love!

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition

Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER Black gaming ATX mid tower

RAM: 8GB (2x 4GB) 240-pin DDR3 1600 memory

MoBo: ASRock 970 Extreme AM3+

HDD: Western Digital WD Green 500GB intellipower

PSU: Antec BP550 plus 550w

Aftermarket cooler: Logisys Computer beta 400St 92mm Hydro bearing AMD CPU cooler

KB: Azio levetron black 122 keys USB wired gaming keyboard

Mouse: Tek republic TM/ Pad: Rosewill soft gaming mouse

Monitor: Acer Black 23" 5ms HDMI LED-Blacklight LCd monitor

GPU: HIS Radeon HD 7850 1GB

Misc.: Rosewill USB 2.0 Wireless-N-Adapter

More about : rate build return lova

November 4, 2012 11:14:01 PM

Keyboard, monitor, and mouse don't really matter for the build.

The XFX Core 550W is a far better power supply and is cheaper, but not modular, although at this price point, you don't really need a modular power supply.

That cooler has terribly low CFM. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO is one of the best ones out there right now, and has high CFM for it's price, which is only about 3 dollars more than yours.

The green hard drive is a waste of money imo, you're not really doing THAT much to save the environment, and you could use the money saved by getting a normal hard drive to get your better CPU cooler.

7/10

m
l
November 4, 2012 11:29:25 PM

Even though I run an AMD rig...

I would not go out and buy a AM3 mobo and cpu. Yes, I would get a 965 to extend the life of a current rig but I would not start there...

Looks fairly balanced as far as I can see.

I also agree with the post above
m
l
Related resources
November 4, 2012 11:38:18 PM

it looks like a 3 year old build, decent at the time, but now?
m
l
November 4, 2012 11:42:32 PM

If that's a 7/10 what is an 8, 9 or 10?

I give it a solid 5/10. CPU you could have bought new in 2009. Good but very mid range GPU. CPU cooler is not something I would have bought. 5900RPM Green hard drive for the OS is just terrible. Power supply is just fine though. All in all a very mid range computer. A decent hard drive or adding an SSD would increse my rating to a 6.
m
l
November 4, 2012 11:45:37 PM

In a rating from 10 being overkill like a i7 3770k and 1 being your regular Dell computer, I hate to break it to ya, but this is a 6/10 at best.

The Phenom II 965BE is outdated. It's 2 generations old. Sure it may have better core-per-core performance then the new FX processors, but it is just too old and outmatched by newer CPU's. Not to mention its TDP is 125W. That's insane!

WD Green HDD's are butt. 50% slower for <10% better help towards then environment. Just google "WD Green slow" and see pages of people complaining about it's speed. Get Seagate or WD Black/Blue

Logisys is pretty bad with computer parts. The only thing they are good at is Cold Cathode and LED lights to make your system look pretty. At this point, I'd recommend anything over that CPU cooler. Oven the stock cooler. But since you took my advice and got an FX-4300 (wink), there is tons of overclocking headroom. So, I'd recommend the CM Hyper 212 EVO cooler. Thing's a beast.

For the PSU, that will be fine. Antec makes great PSU's. So does XFX. Me being me, I'd get whichever one is modular :kaola: 

I've heard that HIS's cooling solution for their GPU's is subpar. I'd grab the same 7850 from more reputable brands like MSI, ASUS, Sapphire (<--What I would recommend. Sapphire's cools your GPU down while looking 2x as sexy) EVGA, highly rated brands like that. Also the 7850 overclocks like mad. You can add around 400+ MHz to the core clock, and who knows how much to the memory clock.

After these changes, this is a 7.5 to a 8, depending on how well you overclock you CPU and GPU.

Take care,
~BreadWhistle
m
l
November 5, 2012 12:15:17 AM

Thanks for the quick replies guys. So should I switch to intel and one of the newer i3's? The CPU cooler was actually a mistake haha, I was going to put the 212 in but I copy pasted my old thingy :3 Blue WD HDD. Sapphire GPU. Some specific insight on the CPU, though?

m
l
November 5, 2012 12:41:17 AM

Wow. I must have skipped over where I was going to recommend the FX-4300 No idea why I forgot to mention it. It has tons of headroom for overclocking. You could probably hit 4.3GHz easily on air. For $10 more you could get the FX-6300 which has 2 more cores and is clocked at 3.5 GHz. Has just as much headroom as the 4300.
m
l
November 5, 2012 12:47:08 AM

Haha, alright thanks man. Will look into to get the best bang for buck.
m
l
!