Sign in with
Your question

GeForce GTX 670 gives red screen of death

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 8, 2012 4:40:22 PM

I am using the DVI-D cable with this graphics card. After logging in (and only after logging in), after about 20 seconds, the monitor will go completely red. If I take out and reinsert the DVI-D cable in the monitor, the screen will be back to normal for about 3 seconds, and then go completely red again. Sometimes shutting down and reinserting both ends of the DVI-D cable works, sometimes it doesn't.

The monitor works fine with the DVI-D cable in the motherboard slot, and also with the VGA cable in the motherboard slot. No red screen there. But when I put the graphics card back in, I get the red screen after logging in. As I mentioned earlier, sometimes shutting down and repositioning the DVI-D cable at both ends fixes the problem temporarily, and I can play games and watch videos fine for hours. Last time I was on the computer for 10 hours before turning it off and going to sleep. But when I woke up and powered it on, I got the red screen again after logging in.

Any ideas?
September 8, 2012 4:52:38 PM

very expensive card, i'd hate to see it just fry. Try using an adapter cable to get a signal. and also make sure that your monitor supports the display its giving out. I have the 660ti and i use the adapter most of the time. works perfectly. try that. if your monitor doesn't support it, then try a different cable.
September 8, 2012 5:04:51 PM

ScourgeTH said:
very expensive card, i'd hate to see it just fry. Try using an adapter cable to get a signal. and also make sure that your monitor supports the display its giving out. I have the 660ti and i use the adapter most of the time. works perfectly. try that. if your monitor doesn't support it, then try a different cable.

What sort of adapter cable do you mean?

My monitor is the Dell U2312HM, and it has this:

1 Digital Visual Interface connectors (DVI-D) with HDCP
1 DisplayPort (DP)
1 Video Graphics Array (VGA)
1 USB 2.0 upstream port
4 USB 2.0 downstream ports
DC power connector for Dell Soundbar

The graphics card has this:

Standard Display Connectors: One Dual Link DVI-I, One Dual Link DVI-D, One HDMI, One DisplayPort
HDCP: Yes
HDM1: Yes

I've bolded the parts that seem to indicate that the DVI-D cable should work. However, I'm not exactly sure how to interpret the specifications.

September 8, 2012 6:56:52 PM

Phrontistus said:
I am using the DVI-D cable with this graphics card. After logging in (and only after logging in), after about 20 seconds, the monitor will go completely red. If I take out and reinsert the DVI-D cable in the monitor, the screen will be back to normal for about 3 seconds, and then go completely red again. Sometimes shutting down and reinserting both ends of the DVI-D cable works, sometimes it doesn't.

The monitor works fine with the DVI-D cable in the motherboard slot, and also with the VGA cable in the motherboard slot. No red screen there. But when I put the graphics card back in, I get the red screen after logging in. As I mentioned earlier, sometimes shutting down and repositioning the DVI-D cable at both ends fixes the problem temporarily, and I can play games and watch videos fine for hours. Last time I was on the computer for 10 hours before turning it off and going to sleep. But when I woke up and powered it on, I got the red screen again after logging in.

Any ideas?

I had a similar red screen issue with my 680. It only happened for several seconds like you are describing. Both my monitors would go red and would return to normal. It happened outside of any graphic application other than w7 aero. It restarted my computer two out of the five(ish) times it happened. It hasn't happened since upgrading to 306.02 (beta), but these caused a stutter in CS:GO so I had to revert back. Has yet to happen after running driver fusion and going to 302.42.
!