CD-writer

Mary

When I upgraded from ME to XP, My CD writer was
eliminated - I cannot find any trace of either ME or
writer in my computer - Is there anyway to re-install the
CD writer - I have an HP Pavillion x1848 that came with ME
installed. Please, bear with me, I'm 81 and still
learning so much, but hope to be able to do this myself
instead of having to carry it in to the shop. Thanks for
any help you can give me.

Mary, since you upgraded from ME to XP, XP took over unless it was installed
in a different partition, a different place on your hard drive from ME and
that doesn't sound as though that is the case.

As to your CD Writer, it likely had software that provided for its
functionality and as is the case with most pre-XP versions of CD writer
software, it probably isn't compatible with XP. You might check the HP
website to see if they can recommend software for your CD writer or have XP
compatible updates for the CD Writer software they originally provided that
you can download.

If not, you may need to check with some application providers for XP
compatible software though you'll need to check their websites for version
and CD writer compatibility. The two leaders in this field are Easy Media
Creator from Roxio, www.roxio.com and Nero from Ahead Software,
www.nero.com.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"Mary" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I upgraded from ME to XP, My CD writer was
> eliminated - I cannot find any trace of either ME or
> writer in my computer - Is there anyway to re-install the
> CD writer - I have an HP Pavillion x1848 that came with ME
> installed. Please, bear with me, I'm 81 and still
> learning so much, but hope to be able to do this myself
> instead of having to carry it in to the shop. Thanks for
> any help you can give me.

I had a similar problem. Mine was due to upgrade from
Win98 to XP. During upgrade I uninstalled Easy CD
Creator. It appears there is a bug in this software that
does not clean up well. Here is the link which shows how
to fix the problem I had.

I found this out by going to Device Manager and finding
issues with the drivers. Also errors in system tray
indicated issues with driver.

You may want to check you device driver for CD rom:

Start -> Control Panel -> Performance & Maintenance -->
--> System --> Hardware (tab) --> Device Manager.
Look to see if there are drivers defined under DVD/CD-ROM
drives.

Good luck !