Canon DSLR startup time

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 2, 2005 8:23:51 PM

Are there any review sites that directly compare the startup time of
Canon's various DSLRs? I've been searching, haven't found one yet...

jc "getting ready to upgrade the 300d"
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 8:23:52 PM

JC Dill wrote:

> Are there any review sites that directly compare the startup time of
> Canon's various DSLRs? I've been searching, haven't found one yet...
>
> jc "getting ready to upgrade the 300d"

Most are 'up' in a couple/three seconds. I believe the D70 is the current
'quick' to be up camera at less than second.

What would you like for it to be? 0.1 sec. 0.25 sec. 0.5 sec... ??? And of
course ... why?

One thing about my film camera is that I sometimes leave it on by mistake and it
sits in the bag for a week or more... no bettery drain worth mentioning. I
don't know of any digital camera can be left on that long (or even a few hours)
without clobbering the battery... why most have an auto-off function, I suppose.

Cheers,
Alan

February 2, 2005 8:23:52 PM

I have the Canon 10D and the 20D. I will tell you there is a huge
difference. I shoot pictures of birds and other wildlife and the 10D
start up time can sometimes be a problem. With the 20D the time is
instant. It does make a difference when shooting wildlife. For other
uses it's not a problem. When you are trying to take a picture of a
flying bird it can be a problem.

Art
February 2, 2005 8:30:19 PM

What is the "startup time" ?

What are you asking about ?

--
Dave

"JC Dill" <jcdill04@sonic.net> wrote in message
| Are there any review sites that directly compare the startup time of
| Canon's various DSLRs? I've been searching, haven't found one yet...
|
| jc "getting ready to upgrade the 300d"

Anonymous
February 2, 2005 9:20:16 PM

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 17:30:19 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>What is the "startup time" ?
>
>What are you asking about ?

The time between switching the camera on and it being able to take the
first picture.

Really not a problem with any current DLSR, which is why most reviews
don't mention comparisons. Same reason you don't see comparisons on
how quickly cars melt in the snow. It's not a big issue.

--
Owamanga!
Anonymous

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 17:30:19 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>What is the "startup time" ?
>
>What are you asking about ?

The time it takes from when you push the switch to "on" and when you
can actually take a picture.

jc
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 9:31:15 PM

www.dpreview.com

"JC Dill" <jcdill04@sonic.net> wrote in message
> Are there any review sites that directly compare the startup time of
> Canon's various DSLRs? I've been searching, haven't found one yet...
>
> jc "getting ready to upgrade the 300d"

Anonymous
February 2, 2005 9:37:37 PM

A moot point, 2,000 msecs. We aren't talking about MS Windows.

--

| On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 17:30:19 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
| <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
|
| >What is the "startup time" ?
| >
| >What are you asking about ?
|
| The time it takes from when you push the switch to "on" and when you
| can actually take a picture.
|
| jc

Anonymous
February 2, 2005 9:56:57 PM

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 18:20:16 GMT, Owamanga <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 17:30:19 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
><DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
>
>>What is the "startup time" ?
>>
>>What are you asking about ?
>
>The time between switching the camera on and it being able to take the
>first picture.
>
>Really not a problem with any current DLSR,

Actually, it is a bit of a problem with the 300d, which is why I'd
like to see comparison data for other Canon models.

jc
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 9:56:58 PM

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 18:56:57 GMT, JC Dill <jcdill04@sonic.net> wrote:

>Actually, it is a bit of a problem with the 300d, which is why I'd
>like to see comparison data for other Canon models.

For all practical purposes the 20D's startup is instantaneous, the D60
takes a couple of seconds. My understanding is that the 300D takes
about a second to boot up but I have non personal experience with it.

Ron

ron@ronsfotos.com
http://ronsfotos.com
http:/ronstoons.com
http://ronanddave.com
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 9:59:21 PM

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 18:31:15 -0000, "Canongirly" <me@me.com> wrote:

>www.dpreview.com

Can you provide a URL to a page that directly compares startup times?

jc
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 9:59:22 PM

In article <6332015nhf4nh37rdp6hc9f6e6gjfrafiu@4ax.com>,

In article <bk82019pi50k5rncp0ke15sjtjpurac87r@4ax.com>,
JC Dill <jcdill04@sonic.net> wrote:

> Can you provide a URL to a page that directly compares startup times?

Directly, as in side-by-side? No.

However, I clicked around a lot, did some cutting-and-pasting and came up with
the following:

EOS 20D - 0.3 seconds
<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos20d/page12.asp&...;

EOS 1D Mark II - 0.8 seconds
<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos1dmkii/page12.a...;

EOS 300D (Rebel) - ~3.0 seconds
<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/page10.asp...;

EOS 10D - ~2.5 seconds
<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos10d/page11.asp&...;

As you can see, particularly with the 20D (using Canon's NEW Digic II
processor) the startup time interval is virtually negligible.

If the startup time interval is STILL bothersome, simply set the appropriate
function so that the camera NEVER goes "to sleep" unless it is physically
switched off.

Ta Da!
:)
JR
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 10:14:52 PM

Really ? Mine has NO problem.

--

| Actually, it is a bit of a problem with the 300d, which is why I'd
| like to see comparison data for other Canon models.
|
| jc

Anonymous
February 2, 2005 10:25:13 PM

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 18:56:57 GMT, JC Dill <jcdill04@sonic.net> wrote:

>On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 18:20:16 GMT, Owamanga <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 17:30:19 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
>><DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
>>
>>>What is the "startup time" ?
>>>
>>>What are you asking about ?
>>
>>The time between switching the camera on and it being able to take the
>>first picture.
>>
>>Really not a problem with any current DLSR,
>
>Actually, it is a bit of a problem with the 300d, which is why I'd
>like to see comparison data for other Canon models.

3 seconds is a problem?

Give me a break. You can't seriously claim that 3 seconds is going to
be significant delay each time you decide to take a batch of photos.

Most photos composed inside 3 seconds are going to be worthless
anyway. I'm sure there are at least 100 more important features to
consider than this.

If it's a problem, leave the damn thing switched on when it's in your
hand.

--
Owamanga!
Anonymous

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 19:25:13 GMT, Owamanga <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:

>3 seconds is a problem?
>
>Give me a break. You can't seriously claim that 3 seconds is going to
>be significant delay each time you decide to take a batch of photos.

This depends on the situation. I often fire the camera remotely when
shooting small birds so I can get the camera close enough to the
subject without scaring it by my presense. My D60 would take so long
to boot that I had to desable auto power off or miss shots. This
would run down battery and inevitably reduce it's overall life. My
20D boots instantaneously so I can use auto power off and still be
able to get the shots when I need to.

Ron

ron@ronsfotos.com
http://ronsfotos.com
http:/ronstoons.com
http://ronanddave.com
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 10:42:51 PM

> JC Dill wrote:
>
>> Are there any review sites that directly compare the startup time of
>> Canon's various DSLRs? I've been searching, haven't found one yet...
>>
>> jc "getting ready to upgrade the 300d"
>

> Most are 'up' in a couple/three seconds. I believe the D70 is the current
> 'quick' to be up camera at less than second.
>
> What would you like for it to be? 0.1 sec. 0.25 sec. 0.5 sec... ??? And
> of course ... why?
>
> One thing about my film camera is that I sometimes leave it on by mistake
> and it sits in the bag for a week or more... no bettery drain worth
> mentioning. I don't know of any digital camera can be left on that long
> (or even a few hours) without clobbering the battery... why most have an
> auto-off function, I suppose.
>
> Cheers,
> Alan

> -- e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.

Canon's claimed start up for the 20D is 0.2 sec.
And you're right, if I leave my 20D on for more than a few hours, the
batteries are gone...
--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 14:44:01 -0500, Alan Browne
<alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:

>JC Dill wrote:
>
>> Are there any review sites that directly compare the startup time of
>> Canon's various DSLRs? I've been searching, haven't found one yet...
>>
>> jc "getting ready to upgrade the 300d"
>

>Most are 'up' in a couple/three seconds. I believe the D70 is the current
>'quick' to be up camera at less than second.

It's about 1 tenth of a second, but who cares anyway?

>What would you like for it to be? 0.1 sec. 0.25 sec. 0.5 sec... ??? And of
>course ... why?

Probably some shady sales person told him it was the most important
feature. Maybe a Nikon dealer trying to push the D70?

>One thing about my film camera is that I sometimes leave it on by mistake and it
>sits in the bag for a week or more... no bettery drain worth mentioning. I
>don't know of any digital camera can be left on that long (or even a few hours)
>without clobbering the battery... why most have an auto-off function, I suppose.

The D70 can. I left it on overnight - last night actually. Spotted it
this morning and turned it off again. It still reads 3-segments (full
battery) now. I guess this meets your 'auto-off' definition because
everything goes to sleep: Rear LCD, metering, flash & IR receiver all
sleep but the top LCD was still awake.

My SB-800 is *always* being left on, sometimes for days - same thing,
no issues with battery power.

I did read somewhere that if you leave the D70 plugged into USB, it
will drain within a few hours.

--
Owamanga!
Anonymous

Owamanga wrote:

> I did read somewhere that if you leave the D70 plugged into USB, it
> will drain within a few hours.

Bill Gates is capturing the energy from your battery and re-selling it to
California. At the same time he's shorting the US$ to leverage those earnings
while increasing the value of his many holdings... it's a good thing I don't
believe in conspiracies, 'cause it could look worse.

February 2, 2005 11:39:23 PM

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 19:25:13 GMT, Owamanga <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 18:56:57 GMT, JC Dill <jcdill04@sonic.net> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 18:20:16 GMT, Owamanga <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>>The time between switching the camera on and it being able to take the
>>>first picture.
>>>
>>>Really not a problem with any current DLSR,
>>
>>Actually, it is a bit of a problem with the 300d, which is why I'd
>>like to see comparison data for other Canon models.
>
>3 seconds is a problem?
>
>Give me a break. You can't seriously claim that 3 seconds is going to
>be significant delay each time you decide to take a batch of photos.

I never said it would be a "significant delay each time you decide to
take a batch of photos", but it HAS been a problem when I've wanted to
catch a photo NOW. By the time I get the camera out of the case,
turned on, and the lens cap removed, the moment may be almost gone,
and *waiting* for the camera to fully come to life so I can take the
photo can be an additional delay that makes the difference between
getting the shot or missing the shot.

>Most photos composed inside 3 seconds are going to be worthless

It depends on what you are taking photos of. I take photos of horses
and other animals. Sometimes horses start to do something that is
difficult to capture (i.e. play with each other in unusual ways) and
if it's happening you either catch the shot, or you miss the shot.

>anyway. I'm sure there are at least 100 more important features to
>consider than this.
>
>If it's a problem, leave the damn thing switched on when it's in your
>hand.

When it's in my hand, I do.

jc
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 11:40:08 PM

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 15:01:52 -0500, Ron Lacey <ron@ronstoons.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 19:25:13 GMT, Owamanga <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>3 seconds is a problem?
>>
>>Give me a break. You can't seriously claim that 3 seconds is going to
>>be significant delay each time you decide to take a batch of photos.
>
>This depends on the situation. I often fire the camera remotely when
>shooting small birds so I can get the camera close enough to the
>subject without scaring it by my presense. My D60 would take so long
>to boot that I had to desable auto power off or miss shots. This
>would run down battery and inevitably reduce it's overall life. My
>20D boots instantaneously so I can use auto power off and still be
>able to get the shots when I need to.

How do you power-on and fire the camera remotely?

jc
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 11:40:09 PM

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 20:40:08 GMT, JC Dill <jcdill04@sonic.net> wrote:

>How do you power-on and fire the camera remotely?

A remote cable release or a USB connection to my laptop. When the
camera powers down pressing the shutter from the remote or from the
laptop mouse boots it up,

Ron

ron@ronsfotos.com
http://ronsfotos.com
http:/ronstoons.com
http://ronanddave.com
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 11:48:45 PM

In article <gu9201lb3jejpdlnj102vhipq9l8v7vd4f@4ax.com>, Ron Lacey
<ron@ronstoons.com> wrote:
> For all practical purposes the 20D's startup is instantaneous, the D60
> takes a couple of seconds. My understanding is that the 300D takes
> about a second to boot up but I have non personal experience with it.

NO! Not a full second! JEEZ...glad I didn't buy one of those.

My 10D takes maybe a second and a half. What's the big deal?
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 11:59:19 PM

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 15:50:11 -0500, Alan Browne
<alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
> Owamanga wrote:
>
>> I did read somewhere that if you leave the D70 plugged into USB, it
>> will drain within a few hours.
>
> Bill Gates is capturing the energy from your battery and re-selling it to
> California.

I don't have a D70, but an Olympus C-8080 will certainly die if
you leave it plugged into USB. And that's easy to do with that
camera, because there's no visual cue to tell you that the camera
is on.

--
Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
--Josh Micah Marshall

Ben Rosengart wrote:

> I don't have a D70, but an Olympus C-8080 will certainly die if
> you leave it plugged into USB. And that's easy to do with that
> camera, because there's no visual cue to tell you that the camera
> is on.

But doesn't the existence of a USB cable attached to the camera provide
a hint??

--
John McWilliams
Anonymous

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 15:00:13 -0800, John McWilliams <jpmcw@comcast.net> wrote:
> Ben Rosengart wrote:
>
>> I don't have a D70, but an Olympus C-8080 will certainly die if
>> you leave it plugged into USB. And that's easy to do with that
>> camera, because there's no visual cue to tell you that the camera
>> is on.
>
> But doesn't the existence of a USB cable attached to the camera provide
> a hint??

Perhaps for sharper knives than yours truly. After the third time
I did it, I decided to use the card reader for transferring images.

--
Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
--Josh Micah Marshall
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 2:27:36 AM

> On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 18:31:15 -0000, "Canongirly" <me@me.com> wrote:
>
>>www.dpreview.com
>
> Can you provide a URL to a page that directly compares startup times?
>
> jc

Jeez do your own research....
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 5:09:43 AM

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 23:27:36 -0000, "Canongirly" <me@me.com> wrote:

>"JC Dill" <jcdill04@sonic.net> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 18:31:15 -0000, "Canongirly" <me@me.com> wrote:
>>
>>>www.dpreview.com
>>
>> Can you provide a URL to a page that directly compares startup times?
>>
>Jeez do your own research....

I had been looking and I was looking for a site that had *direct
comparisons*. My point was that the URL you posted didn't have the
info I was looking for (direct comparisons). If you are going to
provide an answer that isn't what the person is looking for, it would
be NICE to say so, something like "they don't have direct comparisons
like you are looking for, but they do have a lot of info" etc.

jc
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 5:09:44 AM

> On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 23:27:36 -0000, "Canongirly" <me@me.com> wrote:
>
>>"JC Dill" <jcdill04@sonic.net> wrote in message

>>> Can you provide a URL to a page that directly compares startup times?
>>>
>>Jeez do your own research....
>
> I had been looking and I was looking for a site that had *direct
> comparisons*. My point was that the URL you posted didn't have the
> info I was looking for (direct comparisons). If you are going to
> provide an answer that isn't what the person is looking for, it would
> be NICE to say so, something like "they don't have direct comparisons
> like you are looking for, but they do have a lot of info" etc.
>
> jc

Ah, but they do...
http://www.dpreview.com/
On the index on the left side of the page is a heading "Buying Guide."
Click on that, get the cascade, and click on "Side by Side." That gives you
the ability to compare cameras side by side. (Thus the name...) ;-)

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 9:24:22 AM

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 19:38:41 -0800, "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net>
wrote:

>Ah, but they do...
>http://www.dpreview.com/
>On the index on the left side of the page is a heading "Buying Guide."
>Click on that, get the cascade, and click on "Side by Side." That gives you
>the ability to compare cameras side by side. (Thus the name...) ;-)

Ah but they don't compare the STARTUP TIMES.

jc
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 9:24:23 AM

> On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 19:38:41 -0800, "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Ah, but they do...
>>http://www.dpreview.com/
>>On the index on the left side of the page is a heading "Buying Guide."
>>Click on that, get the cascade, and click on "Side by Side." That gives
>>you
>>the ability to compare cameras side by side. (Thus the name...) ;-)
>
> Ah but they don't compare the STARTUP TIMES.
>
> jc

By george, you're right. I thought they did, in fact, could have sworn
so...sorry 'bout that...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
February 3, 2005 10:18:30 AM

In article <020220052048455776%rag@nospam.techline.com>,
rag@nospam.techline.com says...
> In article <gu9201lb3jejpdlnj102vhipq9l8v7vd4f@4ax.com>, Ron Lacey
> <ron@ronstoons.com> wrote:
> > For all practical purposes the 20D's startup is instantaneous, the D60
> > takes a couple of seconds. My understanding is that the 300D takes
> > about a second to boot up but I have non personal experience with it.
>
> NO! Not a full second! JEEZ...glad I didn't buy one of those.
>
> My 10D takes maybe a second and a half. What's the big deal?

My Sony 828 (though its not a DSLR) takes less time than it takes to raise it
to my face, so its "fast" enough.

I think "startup time" is really irrelavent (or at least over-rated) until it
exceeds 2 or 3 seconds. Of course Im sure there are situations where waiting
2 seconds costs you a picture, but those times are rare for me, and almost
all my shooting is "action shots".

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

In message <020220052048455776%rag@nospam.techline.com>,
Randall Ainsworth <rag@nospam.techline.com> wrote:

>In article <gu9201lb3jejpdlnj102vhipq9l8v7vd4f@4ax.com>, Ron Lacey
><ron@ronstoons.com> wrote:
>> For all practical purposes the 20D's startup is instantaneous, the D60
>> takes a couple of seconds. My understanding is that the 300D takes
>> about a second to boot up but I have non personal experience with it.
>
>NO! Not a full second! JEEZ...glad I didn't buy one of those.
>
>My 10D takes maybe a second and a half. What's the big deal?

You have absolutely no idea. After using a 20D, waiting for a 10D to be
ready is like waiting in a doctor's office during flu season. If you
can't tell that the 10D's startup is too slow, you need to check
yourself for a pulse.

I can't tell you how many shots I've missed when using my 10D, because
it wasn't ready. The 20D is always ready for me. This is not only true
of tartup, but is true of review ad multiple rapid shots as well.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 2:20:33 PM

In article <7t1401plvl241ccrp38jlosu942ij72e0u@4ax.com>, <JPS@no.komm>
wrote:

> You have absolutely no idea. After using a 20D, waiting for a 10D to be
> ready is like waiting in a doctor's office during flu season. If you
> can't tell that the 10D's startup is too slow, you need to check
> yourself for a pulse.
>
> I can't tell you how many shots I've missed when using my 10D, because
> it wasn't ready. The 20D is always ready for me. This is not only true
> of tartup, but is true of review ad multiple rapid shots as well.

If I'm out shooting I just leave the thing turned on. The battery drain
is negligible.
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 2:37:00 PM

So selecting the cameras you're interested in, adding them to the
comparision list then right clicking each cameras review pane and scrolling
the pull down menu to "Timings & Sizes" and selecting is too difficult for
you? having multiple panes open is too hard? jeez i've got every dslr they
list open here at that page at it's barely straining me or my connection to
do it

Why don't you just learn to use your tools instead of screaming at any and
everyone who offers a workaround to you you daft loser.

In fact do us all a favour and stay with film

"JC Dill" <jcdill04@sonic.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 19:38:41 -0800, "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Ah, but they do...
>>http://www.dpreview.com/
>>On the index on the left side of the page is a heading "Buying Guide."
>>Click on that, get the cascade, and click on "Side by Side." That gives
>>you
>>the ability to compare cameras side by side. (Thus the name...) ;-)
>
> Ah but they don't compare the STARTUP TIMES.
>
> jc

Anonymous
February 3, 2005 3:12:09 PM

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 11:20:32 GMT, JPS@no.komm wrote:

>In message <020220052048455776%rag@nospam.techline.com>,
>Randall Ainsworth <rag@nospam.techline.com> wrote:
>
>>In article <gu9201lb3jejpdlnj102vhipq9l8v7vd4f@4ax.com>, Ron Lacey
>><ron@ronstoons.com> wrote:
>>> For all practical purposes the 20D's startup is instantaneous, the D60
>>> takes a couple of seconds. My understanding is that the 300D takes
>>> about a second to boot up but I have non personal experience with it.
>>
>>NO! Not a full second! JEEZ...glad I didn't buy one of those.
>>
>>My 10D takes maybe a second and a half. What's the big deal?
>
>You have absolutely no idea. After using a 20D, waiting for a 10D to be
>ready is like waiting in a doctor's office during flu season. If you
>can't tell that the 10D's startup is too slow, you need to check
>yourself for a pulse.
>
>I can't tell you how many shots I've missed when using my 10D, because
>it wasn't ready. The 20D is always ready for me. This is not only true
>of tartup, but is true of review ad multiple rapid shots as well.

^^^^^ tartup? what kind of photography is this?

:-)

--
Owamanga!
Anonymous

"Owamanga" <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D i5401dbddlp2m27ahrqg9gma2m75kp8k8@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 11:20:32 GMT, JPS@no.komm wrote:
>
>>In message <020220052048455776%rag@nospam.techline.com>,
>>Randall Ainsworth <rag@nospam.techline.com> wrote:

>>>NO! Not a full second! JEEZ...glad I didn't buy one of those.
>>>
>>>My 10D takes maybe a second and a half. What's the big deal?
>>
>>You have absolutely no idea. After using a 20D, waiting for a 10D to be
>>ready is like waiting in a doctor's office during flu season. If you
>>can't tell that the 10D's startup is too slow, you need to check
>>yourself for a pulse.
>>
>>I can't tell you how many shots I've missed when using my 10D, because
>>it wasn't ready. The 20D is always ready for me. This is not only true
>>of tartup, but is true of review ad multiple rapid shots as well.
>
> ^^^^^ tartup? what kind of photography is this?
>
> :-)
>
> --
> Owamanga!

Photography of women on street corners... ;-)

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 3:17:35 PM

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 06:24:22 GMT, JC Dill <jcdill04@sonic.net> wrote:

>On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 19:38:41 -0800, "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net>
>wrote:
>
>>Ah, but they do...
>>http://www.dpreview.com/
>>On the index on the left side of the page is a heading "Buying Guide."
>>Click on that, get the cascade, and click on "Side by Side." That gives you
>>the ability to compare cameras side by side. (Thus the name...) ;-)
>
>Ah but they don't compare the STARTUP TIMES.

Yet another pointer to the fact that IT DOESN'T MATTER ANY MORE.

Older DSLRs - *maybe*, and current P&S - yes. Buy a new DSLR model and
it's not going to be issue.

Jeez, just get a pen and paper and write them down. Canon don't have a
million DSLR models, so it won't take long.

--
Owamanga!
Anonymous

[]
> Photography of women on street corners... ;-)

Fast women, require fast startup!

Bart
February 3, 2005 10:01:42 PM

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 11:20:32 GMT, JPS@no.komm wrote:

>In message <020220052048455776%rag@nospam.techline.com>,
>Randall Ainsworth <rag@nospam.techline.com> wrote:
>
>>In article <gu9201lb3jejpdlnj102vhipq9l8v7vd4f@4ax.com>, Ron Lacey
>><ron@ronstoons.com> wrote:
>>> For all practical purposes the 20D's startup is instantaneous, the D60
>>> takes a couple of seconds. My understanding is that the 300D takes
>>> about a second to boot up but I have non personal experience with it.
>>
>>NO! Not a full second! JEEZ...glad I didn't buy one of those.
>>
>>My 10D takes maybe a second and a half. What's the big deal?
>
>You have absolutely no idea. After using a 20D, waiting for a 10D to be
>ready is like waiting in a doctor's office during flu season. If you
>can't tell that the 10D's startup is too slow, you need to check
>yourself for a pulse.
>
>I can't tell you how many shots I've missed when using my 10D, because
>it wasn't ready. The 20D is always ready for me. This is not only true
>of tartup, but is true of review ad multiple rapid shots as well.

Which is precisely why I don't bother turning my 10D off when I'm out
with it. With a couple of battery packs (three tops for a very heavy
shooting day) I can be out for a full day's event and not run out of
juice. Sheesh, the things some people choose to complain about.

Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 10:13:38 PM

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 04:31:41 -0800, "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net>
wrote:

>"JC Dill" <jcdill04@sonic.net> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 19:38:41 -0800, "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Ah, but they do...
>>>http://www.dpreview.com/
>>>On the index on the left side of the page is a heading "Buying Guide."
>>>Click on that, get the cascade, and click on "Side by Side." That gives
>>>you
>>>the ability to compare cameras side by side. (Thus the name...) ;-)
>>
>> Ah but they don't compare the STARTUP TIMES.

>By george, you're right. I thought they did, in fact, could have sworn
>so...sorry 'bout that...

Thanks for understanding my point.

My bigger point is that I'd like a *complete* comparison chart of
these cameras, and the comparison chart at dpreview is not complete.
It may work fine for many people, but I was hoping that there might be
another site that has a more comprehensive comparison chart.

jc
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 1:35:24 AM

In message <030220050646136563%rag@nospam.techline.com>,
Randall Ainsworth <rag@nospam.techline.com> wrote:

>In article <7t1401plvl241ccrp38jlosu942ij72e0u@4ax.com>, <JPS@no.komm>
>wrote:

>> You have absolutely no idea. After using a 20D, waiting for a 10D to be
>> ready is like waiting in a doctor's office during flu season. If you
>> can't tell that the 10D's startup is too slow, you need to check
>> yourself for a pulse.

>> I can't tell you how many shots I've missed when using my 10D, because
>> it wasn't ready. The 20D is always ready for me. This is not only true
>> of tartup, but is true of review ad multiple rapid shots as well.

>If I'm out shooting I just leave the thing turned on. The battery drain
>is negligible.

.... but I never know when I'm finished shooting, so I would never know
when to turn it off. I've been down that route before; you think you're
finished, so you turn it off. Something comes up, and you go to shoot,
and it's off. By the time you turn it back on, the opportunity is gone.
Or, conversely, you leave it on thinking you'll use it again, and you
don't, then a hawk lands outside your window, and the camera doesn't
come on because the battery is drained. By the time you locate the
fresh battery and change it, the hawk is gone.

I've used both the 10D and the 20D extensively, and there is no virtue
in the 10D's difference in this regard.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 6:14:58 AM

In message <cne50194notkmrorp4mene6t19t67qe0cq@4ax.com>,
Drifter <zespectre@askme.com> wrote:

>Which is precisely why I don't bother turning my 10D off when I'm out
>with it. With a couple of battery packs (three tops for a very heavy
>shooting day) I can be out for a full day's event and not run out of
>juice. Sheesh, the things some people choose to complain about.

Sheesh, the things that some people get defensive about, you mean!

Why can't you just swallow the fact that your camera is slow to start
up, and the work-around wastes battery power? I used the same camera as
my main for 18 months, and now have something more efficient, and
faster. The 10D is slow. Get over it.

--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 10:22:41 AM

In article <oqp5011fpnqk77pp828hopknli7gq7j2ke@4ax.com>, <JPS@no.komm>
wrote:

> Sheesh, the things that some people get defensive about, you mean!
>
> Why can't you just swallow the fact that your camera is slow to start
> up, and the work-around wastes battery power? I used the same camera as
> my main for 18 months, and now have something more efficient, and
> faster. The 10D is slow. Get over it.

I guess I tend to give more thought to my images than the split second
it takes to raise the camera to my eye and press the button.
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 11:48:13 AM

Randall Ainsworth wrote:
> In article <oqp5011fpnqk77pp828hopknli7gq7j2ke@4ax.com>, <JPS@no.komm>
> wrote:
>
>> Sheesh, the things that some people get defensive about, you mean!
>>
>> Why can't you just swallow the fact that your camera is slow to start
>> up, and the work-around wastes battery power? I used the same
>> camera as my main for 18 months, and now have something more
>> efficient, and faster. The 10D is slow. Get over it.
>
> I guess I tend to give more thought to my images than the split second
> it takes to raise the camera to my eye and press the button.

And it makes sense to completely ignore rhe images that require that
kind of action, right?

--
Frank ess
Anonymous

"JC Dill" <jcdill04@sonic.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 18:20:16 GMT, Owamanga <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 17:30:19 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
>><DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
>>
>>>What is the "startup time" ?
>>>
>>>What are you asking about ?
>>
>>The time between switching the camera on and it being able to take the
>>first picture.
>>
>>Really not a problem with any current DLSR,
>
> Actually, it is a bit of a problem with the 300d, which is why I'd
> like to see comparison data for other Canon models.
>
> jc

The 20D start up time is about 1 second.
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 4:16:34 PM

"Mac Tabak" <yertiz@dreckly.com> wrote in message

> "JC Dill" <jcdill04@sonic.net> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 18:20:16 GMT, Owamanga <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>>The time between switching the camera on and it being able to take the
>>>first picture.
>>>
>>>Really not a problem with any current DLSR,
>>
>> Actually, it is a bit of a problem with the 300d, which is why I'd
>> like to see comparison data for other Canon models.
>>
>> jc
>
> The 20D start up time is about 1 second.

The Canon published start up time is 0.2 sec, the tests I've seen have timed
it at 0.3 sec, and I've never observed a lag as long as 1 sec. on mine. It
is as close to instantaneous as never mind.

--

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 13:16:33 -0000, "Mac Tabak" <yertiz@dreckly.com>
wrote:

>The 20D start up time is about 1 second.

Not mine, it's up in an instant, a few tenths of a second I suspect if
I ever bothered to time it.

Ron

ron@ronsfotos.com
http://ronsfotos.com
http:/ronstoons.com
http://ronanddave.com
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 5:32:43 PM

Ron Lacey wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 13:16:33 -0000, "Mac Tabak" <yertiz@dreckly.com>
> wrote:
>

>>The 20D start up time is about 1 second.
>

> Not mine, it's up in an instant, a few tenths of a second I suspect if
> I ever bothered to time it.

People may be saying 1 second for the 20D based on dpreview. I too
thought it was on the order of 1 sec based on a compare of the 20D, D70
and 7D. I can't conceive of a test condition that would affect startup
time ... but there may be one.

February 5, 2005 2:42:42 AM

In message <040220050722417218%rag@nospam.techline.com>,
Randall Ainsworth <rag@nospam.techline.com> wrote:

>In article <oqp5011fpnqk77pp828hopknli7gq7j2ke@4ax.com>, <JPS@no.komm>
>wrote:
>
>> Sheesh, the things that some people get defensive about, you mean!
>>
>> Why can't you just swallow the fact that your camera is slow to start
>> up, and the work-around wastes battery power? I used the same camera as
>> my main for 18 months, and now have something more efficient, and
>> faster. The 10D is slow. Get over it.
>
>I guess I tend to give more thought to my images than the split second
>it takes to raise the camera to my eye and press the button.

I guess you tend to have a very narrow range of shooting conditions and
styles.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 2:44:50 AM

In message <94MMd.28837$xt.22400@fed1read07>,
"Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net> wrote:

>The Canon published start up time is 0.2 sec, the tests I've seen have timed
>it at 0.3 sec, and I've never observed a lag as long as 1 sec. on mine. It
>is as close to instantaneous as never mind.

When the switch is set to on, but the display has turned off, the camera
is ready again as soon as you touch any button that awakens it. No wait
at all.
--

John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>
!