Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • GPUs
  • Games
  • Power
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 8, 2012 7:03:40 PM

Hello, Ive experienced some problems with my PC lately. When I play games for example Battlefield 3 my video card uses only 30-40% of it's power and that causes lag and it wasn't like this. I tried running FurMark to see if it's going to be different and it is. My GPU is using all of it's power 99%. So why when I play games it doesn't use it's power. On some games it does and on some games it doesn't I have no idea why. I think the problem is in my PSU but I am not sure and that's why I am here to ask you guys, to ask the experts. My PSU is a Chinese 350W. Thanks.

More about : problems gpu

September 8, 2012 7:43:02 PM

wirmax said:
Hello, Ive experienced some problems with my PC lately. When I play games for example Battlefield 3 my video card uses only 30-40% of it's power and that causes lag and it wasn't like this. I tried running FurMark to see if it's going to be different and it is. My GPU is using all of it's power 99%. So why when I play games it doesn't use it's power. On some games it does and on some games it doesn't I have no idea why. I think the problem is in my PSU but I am not sure and that's why I am here to ask you guys, to ask the experts. My PSU is a Chinese 350W. Thanks.

What graphics card are you running? It would be nice to know what hardware you're running besides the power supply (ie. CPU, GPU, etc.)
September 8, 2012 8:13:25 PM

Straight up, it is your PSU. 350W, especially from a crap brand is not nearly enough.
Related resources
September 8, 2012 8:25:43 PM

My CPU is AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.20 GHZ
My GPU is Nvidia GeForce GT 440 GDDR5 1GB
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2012 8:35:10 PM

Your CPU is a bottleneck. You need a new system. The Athlon x64s were obsolete when consoles came out in 2006.
a c 177 U Graphics card
September 8, 2012 8:40:50 PM

An old 4200+ isn't going to be fast enough in games to keep the GPU feed. Time for a new system.
September 8, 2012 9:10:49 PM

I have a friend he has the same CPU as mine and a Nvidia GeForce 450 GTS and he plays Battlefield 3 on medium settings and his FPS doesn't drop bellow 40. Thats why I think the problem isn't in the CPU.
a c 177 U Graphics card
September 8, 2012 9:14:55 PM

Does he really have the same CPU? I find it hard to believe that a 4200+ can handle BF3 at all.

Could be PSU, but you tend to get blue screens and random shuts when that is the issue.
September 9, 2012 10:30:20 AM

Yes he does. I forgot to mention that my video driver sometimes stops responding and then it restarts by its self and that causes my PC to freeze for 1-2 seconds. My drivers are the newest from Nvidia.
!