Problems with GPU

Hello, Ive experienced some problems with my PC lately. When I play games for example Battlefield 3 my video card uses only 30-40% of it's power and that causes lag and it wasn't like this. I tried running FurMark to see if it's going to be different and it is. My GPU is using all of it's power 99%. So why when I play games it doesn't use it's power. On some games it does and on some games it doesn't I have no idea why. I think the problem is in my PSU but I am not sure and that's why I am here to ask you guys, to ask the experts. My PSU is a Chinese 350W. Thanks.
8 answers Last reply
More about problems
  1. wirmax said:
    Hello, Ive experienced some problems with my PC lately. When I play games for example Battlefield 3 my video card uses only 30-40% of it's power and that causes lag and it wasn't like this. I tried running FurMark to see if it's going to be different and it is. My GPU is using all of it's power 99%. So why when I play games it doesn't use it's power. On some games it does and on some games it doesn't I have no idea why. I think the problem is in my PSU but I am not sure and that's why I am here to ask you guys, to ask the experts. My PSU is a Chinese 350W. Thanks.

What graphics card are you running? It would be nice to know what hardware you're running besides the power supply (ie. CPU, GPU, etc.)
  2. Straight up, it is your PSU. 350W, especially from a crap brand is not nearly enough.
  3. My CPU is AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.20 GHZ
    My GPU is Nvidia GeForce GT 440 GDDR5 1GB
  4. Your CPU is a bottleneck. You need a new system. The Athlon x64s were obsolete when consoles came out in 2006.
  5. An old 4200+ isn't going to be fast enough in games to keep the GPU feed. Time for a new system.
  6. I have a friend he has the same CPU as mine and a Nvidia GeForce 450 GTS and he plays Battlefield 3 on medium settings and his FPS doesn't drop bellow 40. Thats why I think the problem isn't in the CPU.
  7. Does he really have the same CPU? I find it hard to believe that a 4200+ can handle BF3 at all.

Could be PSU, but you tend to get blue screens and random shuts when that is the issue.
  8. Yes he does. I forgot to mention that my video driver sometimes stops responding and then it restarts by its self and that causes my PC to freeze for 1-2 seconds. My drivers are the newest from Nvidia.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards GPUs Games Power Graphics