Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New Nvidia GeForce 550 Ti

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 8, 2012 7:28:35 PM

Hey all I just installed an EVGA Nvidia GeForce 550 Ti and it's worked fine for the most part but I've noticed after long periods of time my games (any game) just lags horribly... like to the point I cant play @ all. When I check my FPS I have like 6-8 or something its retarded. So far the only way to fix it is to restart my computer and its fine after that.

Only games are affected, browsing the web and anything else is fine but when I goto play a game its just laggy as hell and I have to restart.

Any ideas?

More about : nvidia geforce 550

September 8, 2012 7:40:26 PM

Dimmizer said:
Hey all I just installed an EVGA Nvidia GeForce 550 Ti and it's worked fine for the most part but I've noticed after long periods of time my games (any game) just lags horribly... like to the point I cant play @ all. When I check my FPS I have like 6-8 or something its retarded. So far the only way to fix it is to restart my computer and its fine after that.

Only games are affected, browsing the web and anything else is fine but when I goto play a game its just laggy as hell and I have to restart.

Any ideas?


The first thing you should do is download a program called HWMonitor. It's a temperature monitoring program. Run it for about a half hour and make sure to check how hot your parts are getting throughout (more specifically, your CPU and graphics card.) Run your CPU and graphics card at idle and at full load to see the minimum and maximum temperatures. If your graphics card is running hotter than 45 degrees on idle, or if you're graphics card is running at 75-80 degrees celsius at full load, then there may be a problem.
m
0
l
September 8, 2012 8:13:44 PM

firinmylazerman said:
The first thing you should do is download a program called HWMonitor. It's a temperature monitoring program. Run it for about a half hour and make sure to check how hot your parts are getting throughout (more specifically, your CPU and graphics card.) Run your CPU and graphics card at idle and at full load to see the minimum and maximum temperatures. If your graphics card is running hotter than 45 degrees on idle, or if you're graphics card is running at 75-80 degrees celsius at full load, then there may be a problem.


Looks like its running about 35°c but even just now when I pulled up Firefox to come to this thread and reply my GPU Clock shot up instantly to like 950Mhz and the temp on the GPU shot to 42°c I could only guess what it's doing when I'm gaming.

Processor sits @ 30°c on idle pretty much most of the time, doesnt go past 34°c and when gaming I'ma guess its maybe 50-60°c? MAYBE 70°c but doubt it.

I've noticed my GPU fan is only @ about 1100 idle.. and with HWMonitor it says the max is 1890... seems kinda slow for a GPU fan.

Edit: Faulty card maybe?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
September 8, 2012 8:59:35 PM

If its a new 550TI I doubt the fan/heatsink is caked with dust. You can try cleaning the CPU fan 60+ can be near the thermal throttle point. Having some specs here would really help.

m
0
l
September 8, 2012 11:03:43 PM

4745454b said:
If its a new 550TI I doubt the fan/heatsink is caked with dust. You can try cleaning the CPU fan 60+ can be near the thermal throttle point. Having some specs here would really help.


Actually, that reminds me of something I wanted to ask on here, but forgot. So, thermal paste can in fact start to melt at certain temperatures? I have a friend who's running an i5-2320 (obviously not overclocked) and he's got just the stock fan and heatsink as his cooling system. He says it's running at around 60-65 degrees celsius when running games and such (basically at full load.) He asked me if it was normal for a CPU to be that hot when at full load. Is it?
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 8, 2012 11:09:45 PM

What power supply are you running?

That is quite warm for a processor when running games.
m
0
l
September 9, 2012 12:57:29 AM

Deemo13 said:
What power supply are you running?

That is quite warm for a processor when running games.


Is it? I thought that might have been a little warm for a desktop processor, but then I wouldn't really know, because I've used a laptop for the last year and a half, and my laptops processor sits at 56 degrees celsius on idle and gets as hot as 90 degrees celsius at full load. My friend got himself an OCZ ModXStream Pro Modular 700W power supply for his system.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 9, 2012 2:01:58 AM

If its a laptop processor it shouldn't be an issue.
m
0
l
!