Lotsa Hardcovers.

I've mentioned this twice already, so I should point it out here. This
sentence appears in the retail sheet for City of the Damned: New Orleans:

"The first of White Wolf’s prestigious all-hardcover supplements for the
World of Darkness."

That would explain why they're making a 144 page book a hardcover --
they're making /everything/ a hardcover.

I'd be much more enthusiastic about this if they were announcing, like
Steve Jackson Games did for the new GURPS, that every book will be
hardcover, 200+ pages, and full-color. Black and white hardcover 144
page books don't really make me happy.
--
Stephenls
Geek

"Stephenls"

> I've mentioned this twice already, so I should point it out here. This
> sentence appears in the retail sheet for City of the Damned: New Orleans:

> "The first of White Wolf’s prestigious all-hardcover supplements for the
> World of Darkness."

> That would explain why they're making a 144 page book a hardcover --
> they're making /everything/ a hardcover.

> I'd be much more enthusiastic about this if they were announcing, like
> Steve Jackson Games did for the new GURPS, that every book will be
> hardcover, 200+ pages, and full-color. Black and white hardcover 144
> page books don't really make me happy.

144 page HC's?

Seriously?

Like, for real?

That explains why it's $26.99.

So....looks like I'm not gonna buy as much WoD 2 stuff as I expected to.

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 12:58:15 -0700, Stephenls <stephenls@shaw.ca>
wrote:

>I've mentioned this twice already, so I should point it out here. This
>sentence appears in the retail sheet for City of the Damned: New Orleans:
>
>"The first of White Wolf’s prestigious all-hardcover supplements for the
>World of Darkness."
>
>That would explain why they're making a 144 page book a hardcover --
>they're making /everything/ a hardcover.
>
>I'd be much more enthusiastic about this if they were announcing, like
>Steve Jackson Games did for the new GURPS, that every book will be
>hardcover, 200+ pages, and full-color. Black and white hardcover 144
>page books don't really make me happy.

I like them because they look nice. But I, and more especially my
wife, will not because I don't know where I will put the new shelves.

I'd love full colour, but as someone who deals regularly with
printers, I can assure you it will increase the cost substantially.

Cheers,

Charlie

>"Stephenls"
>
>> I've mentioned this twice already, so I should point it out here. This
>> sentence appears in the retail sheet for City of the Damned: New Orleans:
>
>> "The first of White Wolf's prestigious all-hardcover supplements for the
>> World of Darkness."
>
>> That would explain why they're making a 144 page book a hardcover --
>> they're making /everything/ a hardcover.
>
>> I'd be much more enthusiastic about this if they were announcing, like
>> Steve Jackson Games did for the new GURPS, that every book will be
>> hardcover, 200+ pages, and full-color. Black and white hardcover 144
>> page books don't really make me happy.

>144 page HC's?
>
>Seriously?
>
>Like, for real?
>
>That explains why it's $26.99.
>
>So....looks like I'm not gonna buy as much WoD 2 stuff as I expected to.

Neither am I. While all-hardcover supplements may look real nice on the
bookshelf, they can be a pain to carry around if you're going to be going to a
game, and you have to bring a book or two along.

At least the softcover supplements were easy to carry around, and you didn't
have to juggle them around like you can do with hardcovers.

And every hardcover supplement is going to be 144 pages? Somehow, I don't
think 144 pages would adequately lend itself to the subject matter presented in
the books - 200 pages would cover the subject matter of the book much better
than 144 pages.

Also, if I'm going to be paying $26.99, I'd like to see some color interspersed
among the black and white illustrations.

I will get the WoD 2.0 core book and Vampire: The Requiem, but after that... I
think that'll be it for me. I still have a lot of WoD 1.0 books which I've
barely scratched the surface of, and I'd like to get as much use out of them as
possible, and I'm going to see if I can use the thematic elements of the books
I have (while leaving the metaplot out) for my Chronicles.

Stephie

"Let's get to work ..."
Angel - "Not Fade Away"

Stephie wrote:

> And every hardcover supplement is going to be 144 pages? Somehow, I don't
> think 144 pages would adequately lend itself to the subject matter presented in
> the books - 200 pages would cover the subject matter of the book much better
> than 144 pages.

I haven't seen anything to indicate every supplement is going to be 144
pages long. I espect that's as small as they'll get, in fact. I would
expect Lancea Sanctum, for example, will probably be Guide To The
Camarilla-sized.

It still bugs me to see 144 page hardcovers. I like my hardcovers
Exalted-sized.
--

In article <20040607173414.16625.00000558@mb-m15.aol.com>, Stephie
<sfryar@aol.comSPAMIN8R> wrote:

> >"Stephenls"
> >
> >> I've mentioned this twice already, so I should point it out here. This
> >> sentence appears in the retail sheet for City of the Damned: New Orleans:
> >
> >> "The first of White Wolf’Äôs prestigious all-hardcover supplements for the
> >> World of Darkness."
> >
> >> That would explain why they're making a 144 page book a hardcover --
> >> they're making /everything/ a hardcover.
> >
> >> I'd be much more enthusiastic about this if they were announcing, like
> >> Steve Jackson Games did for the new GURPS, that every book will be
> >> hardcover, 200+ pages, and full-color. Black and white hardcover 144
> >> page books don't really make me happy.

> >144 page HC's?
> >
> >Seriously?
> >
> >Like, for real?
> >
> >That explains why it's $26.99.
> >
> >So....looks like I'm not gonna buy as much WoD 2 stuff as I expected to.
>
> Neither am I. While all-hardcover supplements may look real nice on the
> bookshelf, they can be a pain to carry around if you're going to be going to a
> game, and you have to bring a book or two along.
>
> At least the softcover supplements were easy to carry around, and you didn't
> have to juggle them around like you can do with hardcovers.

I totally agree. I read alot of my WW stuff on the train coming home
from work, and lugging around hardcovers is always a bigger pain, and
just a bit more inconvient to read.

> Also, if I'm going to be paying $26.99, I'd like to see some color
> interspersed
> among the black and white illustrations.

Well, likely if they added the color, the price would jump to $36.99.
Color printing can be expensive, expecially when you are doing lower
print runs.

> I will get the WoD 2.0 core book and Vampire: The Requiem, but after that... I
> think that'll be it for me. I still have a lot of WoD 1.0 books which I've
> barely scratched the surface of, and I'd like to get as much use out of them
> as
> possible, and I'm going to see if I can use the thematic elements of the books
> I have (while leaving the metaplot out) for my Chronicles.

Well I will defiently get Werewolf, andf maybe Mage. I wonder if they
are going to be doing clanbooks, wouldn't they have to be softcover?

--
Doug Kern
AKA Monocle

Doug Kern wrote:

> Well I will defiently get Werewolf, andf maybe Mage. I wonder if they
> are going to be doing clanbooks, wouldn't they have to be softcover?

There are only five clans, and they'd be planning long-term. If every
book is hardcover, and every line still gets 8 per year, then I expect
the new clanbooks will be big. Like, GttC big. We've heard "five or
six" sects, so it's possible there will actually be more sects than clans.
--
Stephenls
Geek
"I'm as impure as the driven yellow snow." -Spike

If all the new WoD books are going to be hardback and overpriced, I think
I'll either wait until I can find them cheap and used or not bother at all
and stay loyal to the original!

John

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 17:50:34 -0700, Stephenls <stephenls@shaw.ca>
wrote:

>Doug Kern wrote:
>
>> Well I will defiently get Werewolf, andf maybe Mage. I wonder if they
>> are going to be doing clanbooks, wouldn't they have to be softcover?
>
>There are only five clans, and they'd be planning long-term. If every
>book is hardcover, and every line still gets 8 per year, then I expect
>the new clanbooks will be big. Like, GttC big. We've heard "five or
>six" sects, so it's possible there will actually be more sects than clans.

I hope there'll be more sects than clans, personally. Having
characters grouped by outlook/philosophy rather than power focuses
attention away from the powers and more on the characterisation. It's
the difference between 'She's a Malkavian and a member of the
Camarilla', and 'She's in the Camarilla and a member of Clan
Malkavian'. One focuses on the skillz, the other on the outlook.

Cheers,

Charlie

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 00:46:05 GMT, Doug Kern
<douglasskern@earthlink.net> wrote:

>In article <20040607173414.16625.00000558@mb-m15.aol.com>, Stephie
><sfryar@aol.comSPAMIN8R> wrote:

>> I will get the WoD 2.0 core book and Vampire: The Requiem, but after that... I
>> think that'll be it for me. I still have a lot of WoD 1.0 books which I've
>> barely scratched the surface of, and I'd like to get as much use out of them
>> as
>> possible, and I'm going to see if I can use the thematic elements of the books
>> I have (while leaving the metaplot out) for my Chronicles.
>
>Well I will defiently get Werewolf, andf maybe Mage. I wonder if they
>are going to be doing clanbooks, wouldn't they have to be softcover?

I'll be getting the corebook, V:TR and Mage. Who am I kidding? I'll
get W:tF as well, almost certainly.

Cheers,

Charlie

>Stephie wrote:
>
>> And every hardcover supplement is going to be 144 pages? Somehow, I don't
>> think 144 pages would adequately lend itself to the subject matter
>presented in
>> the books - 200 pages would cover the subject matter of the book much
>better
>> than 144 pages.
>
>I haven't seen anything to indicate every supplement is going to be 144
>pages long. I espect that's as small as they'll get, in fact. I would
>expect Lancea Sanctum, for example, will probably be Guide To The
>Camarilla-sized.
>
>It still bugs me to see 144 page hardcovers. I like my hardcovers
>Exalted-sized.

The only reason why I brought it up was that each book will have a lot of
ground to cover, and imo, I don't believe 144 pages would do justice to
whatever subject will be covered in the hardcover books (yeah - it's the
corn-fed writer in me making her appearance - LOL).

I'd much prefer to see an Exalted-sized hardcover supplement, so I can get the
most "bang for the buck". For those of us with incomes which someone else has
fixed, if we can get the most for our gaming dollar, it's appreciated.

Stephie

"Let's get to work..."
Angel - "Not Fade Away"

Stephie wrote:
> I'd much prefer to see an Exalted-sized hardcover supplement, so I can get
the
> most "bang for the buck". For those of us with incomes which someone else
has
> fixed, if we can get the most for our gaming dollar, it's appreciated.

I'm not sure a fatsplat-sized citybook is going to be any more useful than a
144-page one.

--
J. H. Frank

>Stephie wrote:
>> I'd much prefer to see an Exalted-sized hardcover supplement, so I can get
>the
>> most "bang for the buck". For those of us with incomes which someone else
>has
>> fixed, if we can get the most for our gaming dollar, it's appreciated.
>
>I'm not sure a fatsplat-sized citybook is going to be any more useful than a
>144-page one.

Well, I think it would depend on what subject was being covered in the book.
The subject matter would determine whether it's worthy of being a
fatsplat-sized book.

A citybook would probably do fine at 144 pages, but there might be a particular
subject which might need at least a couple more pages than 144.

And as I said before, if I'm going to lay out money for these types of books,
I'd like to be able to get as much for my dollar as possible.

Stephie

"Let's get to work..."
Angel - "Not Fade Away"

Stephenls wrote:

> I'd be much more enthusiastic about this if they were announcing, like
> Steve Jackson Games did for the new GURPS, that every book will be
> hardcover, 200+ pages, and full-color. Black and white hardcover 144
> page books don't really make me happy.

Non-core hardcovers don't make me happy at all.

--
Jon
-----