Can windows drivers be downloaded wirelessly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to know if I do new builds can important motherboard and Windows drivers be installed wirelessly or do you have to be hard wired? Will wireless downloading of drivers cause any problems?

Solution
No, you don't have to be hard wired to download drivers. Even if you're installing them through Windows Update (which I don't generally recommend, but if you need to do it, it's fine), the system will find the wireless connection assuming Windows 7 has a driver for it natively. 7 has drivers for many wireless adapters, but I would check before hand on another computer.
No, you don't have to be hard wired to download drivers. Even if you're installing them through Windows Update (which I don't generally recommend, but if you need to do it, it's fine), the system will find the wireless connection assuming Windows 7 has a driver for it natively. 7 has drivers for many wireless adapters, but I would check before hand on another computer.

Solution

Downloading them should not be a problem. I however would only choose to "download" and not select "run".

I was wondering if it could be done as long as it could find the connection. If I did it with a USB thumb drive what size would I need to fit both Motherboards and Windows drives? Also if I used this USB for other builds is it safe to write over the old drives on the USB with new drivers for a completely different motherboard. I'm afraid of previously saved drivers from another motherboard corrupting the new drives

G

Yeah you can download and install drivers via wireless connection. If your worried about space on your flash drive you could just download the wireless driver there and then download and install the drivers from the net. All the drivers for a computer should take about 200 mb.

If you get a big enough flash drive, you can just keep all of the drivers for each build on the same flash drive (just make sure you organize them properly so you know what drivers go with what build). Depending on how many different builds you're doing, even a 4 or 8GB stick should be fine. 16GB flash drives can be had very cheap these days though, so capacity really isn't an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.