osamabinpwnn

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
Hey guys i'm really new to building computers and would like some advice on a new build for my parents. They'll mainly be using it for work wich includes tons of webpages and word files being open at the same time, there is also that they might use it for video editing and rendering. Their last computer lasted them over 7 years and they'd like this one to do the same. One last thing, the computer needs to be extremely quiet, fans drive them mad.

Here's what i'm thinking:

Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE LGA 1155 Intel Z77

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k

CPU cooler: Corsair H100

Graphics card: XFX AMD Radeon HD7870 2 GB DDR5

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB)

Storage: SAMSUNG 830 Series 2.5-Inch 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive + old 250GB HDD

Power supply: Seasonic 400W 80 Plus Gold Fanless (do i need more Watts?)

Fans(remember extra quiet): 3x Scythe gentle typhoon 2 for the back and 1 for the top and 1x BitFenix Spectre Pro 200mm Fan for the front intake.

Extras: LG Electronics 10X Blu-Ray SATA Writer and
NZXT SENTRY 2 Accessories 5.25-Inch Touch Screen Fan Controller

Total cost:$1,702.19

So there you have it, I just want to know if im overkilling it. Any advice or tips would be very much appreciated.

You are probably going to need more power for that computer, even though the one you picked is very highly rated.

Generally, you can't even hear the power supply fan. In my experience of building, the power supply fan is the least audible fan.

The H100 is really a waste of money, especially on a rig designed to last a long time. You shouldn't be overclocking if you want it to last 7 years, and they wont need it anyway. A quiet air cooler makes more sense, as does an i5. If they are happy with a 7 year old rig and just do word processing.... Yea.

They'll never use 16 gigs of ram, or a 7870 for that either, and the nzxt fan controllers are a waste. They went need extra fans either.

Your building a gaming machine instead of an office machine, and wasting a lot of their money

kevin83

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
You could get away with this if you're looking for fanless. 500w should be more than enough.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182169

If you're looking for quieter fans the biggest issue is going to be the graphics card. Adding 3 more fans won't necessarily help, each fan will give you more risk for a noisy bearing or something else wrong. I would just add one on top if you install the h100's radiator on the side panel. That way the video card exhaust would be pulled up out of the case. Gigabyte and Asus are the best solutions in terms of noise level I've seen for graphics cards.

austing

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

For parents, an i3 is overkill, but then again, I build a C2Q for my dad who powers it on for 5 mins every 3 months, so haha, tis the fun of the build

I recomend a SEASONIC 550w, and get an air cooler for longer life.

fuzg13z

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012

Yeh you'll need more power than that. I'm not sure how much exactly but you'd prob be safe with something around 650watts. Find a good power supply calculator if you wanna be certain and set the capaciator aging to 50% if they want it for 7 years. Also, Noctua makes really nice fans but seriously i just bought some coolermasters that run at 2000 rpms and they were screaming in my ears, then i grabbed the little resistor wires that came with my noctua NH-D14 heatsink and plugged em into my coolermasters and they're super quiet.. just look for low RPM fans, they wont have the same cooling capacity but they are really quiet.. just make sure you've got lots of space in your case for airflow and negative air pressure inside and you wont have a problem with cooling

^@ other comments about lower end proc.. he did say his parents will be video editing, the 3770k is def the best for that aside from lga 2011.. 3770k is pretty beast though i must say

Yeh don't get an H100, they're expensive and some closed circuit liquid coolers have problems with pumps being noisy or making strange sounds/vibrations etc. A Hyper 212 EVO would be sufficient, Noctua NH-D14 is best in class alongside some phanteks and the thermalright arrow but they'd be a waste of money if you're not overclocking.. the evo is cheap i'd get that

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Aside from the power supply everyone else is mentioning, all else looks fairly decent. The HT on the 3770k and 16 gigs of RAM (8 works fine but RAM is at an all-time low) will be a help to editing and as much multitasking as you're mentioning. To save a few bucks, the 3770 is the non-overclockable version of this CPU (hard to imagine quiet and overclocked in the same sense). The Gentle Typhoons are very good, I would recommend no more than an AP13 as they are generally going to be the sweet spot for quietness with sufficient airflow if they really don't want to hear them. The 11 and 12's are obviously the quietest but they just don't push much air and the 14's will be slightly audible. Motherboard control is also an option by means of temperature/voltage regulation aside from the panel you have. The case you picked is meant more as a gamers case (although airflow is good), if interested there are some out there that have air channels,filters, and insulation on the inside of them aimed at the silent crowd. The video card could be classified as overkill unless GPGPU, DirectCompute, etc. kind of programs are going to be utilized. Otherwise, a 7750 in either the 1 or 2 gigs of vRAM would be more than competent in its' intended use.

Edit: The H100 really isn't necessary, you didn't mention overclocking really. All you would be doing is taking a factory (80mm is it?) fan inside the case and using dual 120mm fans close to the top panel to cool a stock processor. This stock cooler with maybe a better paste would suffice.

osamabinpwnn

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
The H100 really isn't necessary, you didn't mention overclocking really. All you would be doing is taking a factory (80mm is it?) fan inside the case and using dual 120mm fans close to the top panel to cool a stock processor. This stock cooler with maybe a better paste would suffice.

Ok thanks for everybody who responded i have decided to dump the h100 and insted get the NH-D14 cpu cooler. I have also decided to get a SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold 650W power source. I'm also gonna downgrade the case.

it seems that there was a bit of confusion with the purpose of the fans (sorry for not clarifying), i plan to replace all the stock fans with quiete gentle typhoons either Ap14 or AP13 i have yet to decide (Amazon doesn't have the 13's :( ).

thanks to everybody that commented and any more advice would help. :)

TRENDING THREADS