Sign in with
Your question

MSI GTX 670 Power Edition Question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 8, 2012 8:54:23 PM

I'm about to purchase the MSI GTX 670 Power Edition as an upgrade from my GTX 580. The main reason I wish to buy this is due to the unlocked voltage. But recently I read somewhere that the new power edition cards no longer have unlocked core voltage due to nVidia or something. Is this true?

I know I know unlock it again with a BIOS flash, but I'd rather have it unlocked by default.

A second question is, for unlocking voltage with a BIOS flash, are some cards not designed for overvolting and hence will be damaged if I do so?

Thanks for any help!
September 9, 2012 1:08:45 AM

Awackypenguin said:
I'm about to purchase the MSI GTX 670 Power Edition as an upgrade from my GTX 580. The main reason I wish to buy this is due to the unlocked voltage. But recently I read somewhere that the new power edition cards no longer have unlocked core voltage due to nVidia or something. Is this true?

I know I know unlock it again with a BIOS flash, but I'd rather have it unlocked by default.

A second question is, for unlocking voltage with a BIOS flash, are some cards not designed for overvolting and hence will be damaged if I do so?

Thanks for any help!

I have that card, and even on stock, no issues, no reason to overclock. As for voltage, with the triple overvoltage advertised, you can increase the core voltage by 100mV, and adjust the memory voltage, and auxiliary voltage. No unlcoked voltage :( , I was sad. BIOS flashing is an option, but don't want to take that risk.

The parts on the card are designed for overvolting (Military Class III, although it's more of an advertising gimmick), and the cooler can handle it.
m
l
!