WD Caviar WD400BB or WD600AB???

G

Which of the two should I choose? I gathered some benchmarks and specs from the net and it goes like this:

-WD600AB
5400rpm, 60GB
Slower about 7-13% (depending on the benchmark)
Bigger about 33%
More expensive about 10%

-WD400BB
7200rpm, 40 GB

Both ATA 100

Soooo, what I'm actually asking it this:

***What is more important? Having more space or having a 10% faster drive?***

[I use my PC mainly for working (Word etc), playing (everything) and watching some DVDs. Some times I write some music CDs and use Paintshop fro amateur image processing]

Thanks in advance.

Duron700 MSI K7T Pro
192MB RAM
Soundblaster Live Player 5.1
Asus V3400 TNT-TV

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
From the sounds of what you will be using the drive with you are going to want performance. These days you can get performance with size so it shouldn't really be an issue.

I think a 40GB 7200RPM ATA100/133 drive would be sufficient.

<font color=red>BIOS updates do wonders ....</font color=red>

G

Yes, but a 10% of speed loss couldn't be so bad, isn't it so? I mean, instead of 10'' I'll have to wait for 11'', instead of 60''--> 66'' and so on. But if I'll need more space, there won't be a way to enlarge the existing disc. And I don't want to change my HD every time I upgrade my CPU.

*puzzled*

Duron700 MSI K7T Pro
192MB RAM
Asus V3400 TNT-TV

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
<A HREF="http://www.storagereviews.com" target="_new">http://www.storagereviews.com</A>

I checked out that site for a recommendation. It has a reliability chart, from the input of people about their hard drives. It helped me out.

Anyways, I would suggest a IBM 60GXP for performance. If storage is your deal, then the WD600AB is for you (basically the reason why I bought it, and to supplement my 75GXP in case of failure). I really don't think it'd be too slow, either. I can't tell, since it's only for storage, and not Windows.

BTW, what's your price range? I'd really recommend an IBM 60GXP 60GB or something. That's what I'd get next (but probably not cuz I'm pretty good anyways).

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=13406" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

G

This IBM model isn't available at the place I live.
OK, after some serious thinking I think I'll have the WD400BB. What the heck! If the software companies will release eg games with 5 DVDs needing 20GB for a full install in the next 2-3 years, I'll get a new HD with 500GB :) What can you do? We are hostages!

PS: I've already checked storageview.com. One reason that got me nearer to WD is the fact that these HDs are cooler than others (a PC magazine test gave same results too). When I'll buy a new video card and a new CPU, the heat level in my ATX box will seriously increase. I don't need so much space for MP3s, as I prefer to burn them to CDs. So, I can live for now with "just" 40GB+3.2 for backup(my previous HD, that looks more like a floppy or zip disc).

Duron700 MSI K7T Pro
192MB RAM
Asus V3400 TNT-TV

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Yeah, you said it! We are hostages voluntarily even!

<font color=red>1GHz AMD x MSI K7T-Turbo x 512MB PC133 x 2-Maxtor 30GB/RAID 0 = Stream Line Butterfly</font color=red>

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Ouch...that hurts for the both of you. Sorry to hear that.
I hope your new HD works great!

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=13406" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Sometimes bad experiences do not represent the average experience with a hard drive. My Caviar is working perfectly.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

G

Flamethrower:
In www.storagereview.com there is a survey for HD owners. The WD 400BB has an almost perfect score, as only 4 guys had problems with it among 116. It's a good score I think. Plus, there is a 3 year warranty, so if something goes wrong I'll be able to replace it. There is no complaint about its speed, heat or noice (on the contrary, there are only positive comments). I guess you were just unlucky.

Duron700 MSI K7T Pro2
192MB RAM
Asus V3400 TNT-TV

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
7200rpm if you want performance
5400rpm if you want storage capacity

OEMs selling "High End"PCs with integrated video will be forced into Q3tournaments using a TNT2M64!