gerry

I was unable to use my Umax scanner after updating to XP.
Was told by Umax that while Astra 2200 is XP compliant, I
need to purchase an updated driver for $15.00. I bought it
now it won't install. I have uninstalled and reinstalled
all the components from the original CD bundled software
from the scanner and the original scanner drive stops 93%
through the installation. And the VistaScan will not
install without the original driver. Has anyone solved
this problem?

Usually, the driver will install, even from the original package, it's the
rest of the software that becomes incompatible as a result. Hence, you can
use the scanner, provided you are able to get the driver installed but you
cannot install the rest of the software, vistascan for example as it may not
be compatible regardless of the updated driver. This means you lose some of
the functionality to which you've become accustomed but you can use the
scanner.

I had a Umax Astra A1220u with the same problem. Sometimes you can find
updated versions of Vistas that will work but its usually much the same as
trying to place a round peg in a square hole and you end up with system
instability and periodic lockups when you use the scanner.

Can't believe they charged you $15 but since they did, they should at least
help you get your scanner working, it is their issue.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"gerry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I was unable to use my Umax scanner after updating to XP.
> Was told by Umax that while Astra 2200 is XP compliant, I
> need to purchase an updated driver for $15.00. I bought it
> now it won't install. I have uninstalled and reinstalled
> all the components from the original CD bundled software
> from the scanner and the original scanner drive stops 93%
> through the installation. And the VistaScan will not
> install without the original driver. Has anyone solved
> this problem?

I had the same problem with my 2000U after upgrading to WinXP. Although
your Astra 2200 may not be USB. the resolution of this problem should be the
same. See:
http://www.umax.com/support/knowledge/search.jsp?docs=SC00254&SRCHkeywords=SC00254
The drivers had been a free download from the German site but I believe UMAX
has corrected this "problem" and now charges for a disk upgrade.