Amd Radeon 6950 not working!

Cpmagaruio

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
This was my first pc build so i may not have set it up right, but i don't think i should have these sort of problems.

When i first set up my pc i quickly began to get problems, the screen would flash black or go fuzzy (snow etc.) or both and a message saying "the display driver has stopped working and has now recovered" , it would eventually crash, i couldn't sit on the desktop for more than five minutes without it crashing.

And then after hours of work it was fixed (or so i thought), and it ran for a good 5-6 hours or so without any problems.

Then the next day they were back, and worse. It started up the same and then after every reboot the less time you had to try and fix the problem, now i can't even log on at all and even safe mode doesn't seem stable.

I've managed to get by on the on-board graphics, no problems with it at all so it pretty much confirms the problem is the graphics card.

I have done no overclocking and have tried pretty much everything i've seen from people with the same problem in forums.

Specs:

AMD Phenom II x4 965
Asus M5A78L-M/USB3
AMD Radeon HD 6950
Corsair 650 watts
8Gb Ram

Software:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Was on 12.8 Amd catalyst but am now on 12.6 legacy for the onboard graphics to work properly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cpmagaruio

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
Damn! As it turns out that pc i just to old, no pcie X16, well we cant say it broken yet because we just cant check.