New radeon 6870 runs hot. Don't know why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Threshy

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
Hello, I recently bought a radeon 6870 off amazon and the things runs hotter than you'd think a twin frozr model would. I have the fans set to 100% and that did bring it down to 46C idle and it gets to around 55ishC when I test it with a game but it was at like 64c idle before I bumped up the fans.

Also there's this sticky stuff on the back of the card and I have no idea what it is. Could it be the cause of the higher heat? could I get it off with some cotton swabs and alcohol or something without damaging the card?

My display as also been going dark and the coming back after a second since the minute I started using the thing and it did while I was playing a game but it was only at like 50C, could that be enough to make the card do that?

Solution
its probably improper contact with the Heatsink to the chip. Ideally I would remove the sink, and check the contact, replace thermal paste if necessary, and reapply the heatsink.
G

At 100% fan speed, the card shouldn't be running that hot at idle. What kind of case have you got?

Threshy

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
I only had a 400 dollar budget so I couldn't buy a decent case (the one I have now just has the side panel removed) but it really shouldn't be idling at 60c. it's get cooler out of no where sometimes, even got to the high 40s.

And now I missed the date for a full refund :(. I knew 140 bucks was too good to be true but I just couldn't pass it up.

Threshy

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
After removing the heatsink i did find that the thermal paste was rather poor ( it was in little spots on the chip and not even on the whole thing)

Hopefully I have enough thermal paste left lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.