XFX Double D HD 6870 Idling too hot?

half_derpy

Honorable
May 27, 2012
So, my double d 6870 seems to idle pretty warm, and I suspect it may be impacting my game performance.

It idles at the absolute lowest of 45c, but it's a little warmer today and it's currently at 51c. However, when I play games, even for hours and hours, it only goes to a MAX of like 58c.

I know the double d is supposed to be colder than other cards, but I have never had one idle this high with such a low top.

My clocks are stock.

The card I had before this was a Nvidia gts 240 and it idled at like 30-32c, and maxed at like 65ish which seems more "normal"

G

The card shouldn't be running that hot at idle. What kind of case have you got?

The idle is a LITTLE high. But in no way will impact game performance or your card. Ambient temp, case, fan profiles(I'd bet this since your load temp is good) could all affect it.

Load/max temps are what matter and yours is perfectly fine. GPUs can typically handle 90+

half_derpy

Honorable
May 27, 2012

I've got a Rosewill Destroyer, I believe. 1 120mm in the front, 2 top for exhaust, 1 in the back.

My case itself usually is pretty cool. My cpu idles are low. 30ish, and under load maybe 50-55 tops.

Like I mentioned, my gts card ran super cold. In the mornings when I'd first wake it up, it'd be at like 28c, but this is always around 55. The lowest I saw it was 45c idling after a cold night the other night.

This GPU takes 2 rails instead of one, so maybe it's just putting more pressure on my system? I have a corsair GS600 to power it all. I know it's barely enough, but maybe that has something to do with it?

:edit:

I should add that my fan profile through Afterburner is custom. I have it set to essentially 1v1. 50c = 50% fan speed.
Even if I ramp up my fan speed to 90% while doing no gaming, just idling, it only goes down to maybe 46ish. So, being that it's idling around 50-55, my fan speed is pretty high. I don't like that too much either.

half_derpy

Honorable
May 27, 2012

Weird. It just seems high compared to what I had before, and what I've read on other reviews. I just wanna make sure I am not frying it or anythign!

G

Does it? I'm actually considering getting a dual-GPU AMD Radeon graphics card off of someone soon, so would a dual-GPU graphics card produce a lot of heat?

Ohmybad

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
i take it you have 2 monitors plugged into the card?
with 1 monitor my card idles @ 38-42*C(100MHz) when i plug in a second monitor the idle clock goes up(300MHz) and the temp then idles @ ~50*C

cgner

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012

yep, also uses extra ram, makes motherboard go up 10C. not to mention power draw and damned mictro stutter.

half_derpy

Honorable
May 27, 2012

Nope. One monitor, one card. No crossfire.

The monitor is 1650X1050 though. Haven't tried it with 1080, but I doubt that makes a difference.

I just left the pc in idle for several hours, and it's still at 48c right now, while my CPU is at 32c. Bah.

Ohmybad

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
what's the card idling at in MHz? nothing is wrong with your card... my PC sits in front of a window so it keeps my components cool. are you using CCC to check your temps ?

again there is nothing wrong with your cards temps... under full load my card hit 70-72*C... which is far under the 95*C worry point... you could just have a different fan profile then myself also.

half_derpy

Honorable
May 27, 2012

I am at stock for stats on the card, and I use MSI Afterburner. 900mhz core and 1050 mem clock which is how it came out of the box.

The double D edition is supposed to be cooler than the other 6870's due to it's double fan design and copper piping. So far, I have noticed that it barely has an increase in temperature, even under a full load, but those idles just feel too high. Maybe I am spoiled with 28c idles from the GTS 450 though.

I played arma 2 for nearly 6 hours straight, and when I tabbed out near the end, I was only at 56c. Something just doesn't seem right. I actually just changed up my fan profile. Before, it was 1-1. Meaning @30c, my fan was at 30%. THen 60c=60% etc. Now, it's -10. So, an idle of 50c, is 40% fan speed, up to 60c. Then I ramp it to 1-1.

Ohmybad

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
it sounds like your card isn't throttling itself when it's idle. it's been awhile since i've used afterburner... using CCC with the 6870 is a set it and forget it since it doesn't OC very well...

and yeah, the GTS450 wont idle like the 6870, and the DD isn't anything like the twinfrozr type coolers so i take it with a grain of salt, yeah it's two fans but they spin slower then 1 (makes it some what quieter) this card runs slightly cooler then the old reference 5770 i had before it.