DNS server isn't responding

solyendo

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012
So bascially, my internet connection comes through my modem, into an Ethernet port, to the wireless router, through another ethernet to my computer. Everything worked fine for years until yesterday. I could not connect to the internet through the modem to the router, but I could connect to it from connecting my computer to the modem (directly).

The error that I get is "DNS server isn't responding" (Your computer is trying to use a DNS server that is incorrect or doesn’t exist.). This error does not show when connecting my modem to computer (through ethernet cord).

Diagram (located at Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center)

MY PC ------- Network 2 ----X---- Internet (not coloured)

Things I have tried to resolve this problem:
- unplugging and replugging the power cable to the modem
- resetting the wireless router
- netsh int ip reset (in command prompt)
- netsh winsock reset (in command prompt)
- system restore (came up with error, then restore point somehow got deleted)
- Changed wireless router (to see if it was a router problem, it was not)
- Booted in safe-mode (with networking), still no internet through wireless router
- Changed DNS server addresses to "208.67.222.222" (preferred) "208.67.220.220" (alternate)
NOTES: Could not find Microsoft Virtual Wifi Miniport Adaptor

Specs:
Modem: Motorola SB5100 Cable Modem
Wireless Routers: TP-Link TL-WR1043ND and ZIO WLB5254AIP

Can anyone help me? I've been searching through forums for HOURS and found little/no help.

EDIT: Thanks everyone, but it seems that I need to make a MAC Clone address.

solyendo

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012
Thanks for the reply.
The connection IS connected to the WAN input port (from modem).

Note that this suddenly occurred, meaning that it is (most probably) a software issue, and it is the connection from the modem to the router (or maybe it's just the routers fault) that is causing disconnection.

bumnut53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
Sounds like the router is not getting the info it needs from the modem (usually caused by not allowing enough time between starting the modem and router). Try this:

Switch the router and modem off,

Retstart modem,

wait 2 mins,

power on router.

Also, does it work with an ethernet cable plugged into the router?

Can you also check that your laptop is set to dhcp

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
You can log in to the router's administrator interface to check the connection status, can't you?

Does it get internet address from the modem (IP address, gateway, DNS)?
Some routers provides a ping utility, to verify if they can exchange data packets.